velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey, new to the forum.
    I scored(?) a nishiki olympic 10 speed in orange for free, but it needs some love.
    It had a lot of surface rust on the forks, and bolts mostly. The chain is shot. The seat post came right out though to my surprise.
    I did a once over with 0000 steel wool and it looks much better.
    I'm new to this refurbishing thing, especially concerning parts for old bikes.
    I'll need new skewers, brake pads, and shifter and brake cables.
    Any suggestions as to what to get?
    Thanks,
    E
    And a new chain..
    Haven't decided yet if I want to convert it to SS as a college commuter or camp bike in the Adirondacks.
    What kind of crankset would I need to do so?
    Thanks again. I know there's a lot of questions.
    pictures are always the best way to start.
    And if you gave us an idea of your budget, that would eliminate impossible solutions.
    Hmm it won't let me upload photos. I'm assuming the photos from my iPhone are too big.
    I don't have the time to fiddle with pics at the moment.

But I guess in terms of budget, I'm not really sure what's realistic. Brake pads and cables aren't a concern. Will any stainless steel cable work?

Also, I think I've decided to go single speed. So I'll be removing the shifters. What can I expect for prices of single speed crankset? What size bottom bracket will I need and what sized tool?

I read somewhere else someone put a sugino vt crank on an olympic, but they aren't for sale anymore. Ny other recommendations?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013

Posted By: Ebiker2002Hmm it won't let me upload photos. I'm assuming the photos from my iPhone are too big.
    I don't have the time to fiddle with pics at the moment.

You need to upload them to an external site such as http://imgur.com/ and post the direct like like so:

Posting this:

http://i.imgur.com/veDaAGC.jpg

will get you this:

• CommentAuthorEbiker2002
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013

Ok, pictures aren't an option right now as my data is limited.
    I traced the serial number, it was made between 1972 and 1975... If that helps in regards to sizing and necessary tools.
    Serial number Ks184575

I guess I'm looking for information on what specific sized tool I'd need to take the bottom bracket apart for fresh bearings and grease, the wheel bearings, and crankset.
    Thanks,
    E
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

for the BB i would guess you just need a lockring tool and an adjustable cup wrench http://www.parktool.com/product/adjustable-cup-wrench-hcw-11

you will need a crankpuller http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-puller-for-square-taper-cranks-ccp-22 and a socket wrench should get it back on

for the hubs you will likely need a 17mm open end wrench, a 15mm cone wrench and a 13mm cone wrench (it is often easier with 2 of each wrench)

but these are all just good guesses at size based on what is common.
    • CommentAuthorEbiker2002

Very cool, thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
    Tyler!
    I want a cat hat!
    • CommentAuthorthrub

While you're removing the shifters why don't you also remove one of the chainrings and convert your double crankset to a single speed. All you need is a set of generic 6mm single chainring bolts (about six/seven bucks at your LBS). With a little luck and skill, the only tool you need is a 5mm Allen wrench.

You might also consider converting your old bottom bracket to a slick no-service sealed cartridge because you'll need a shorter spindle to achieve the correct chainline for a single speed; replacement spindles cost almost half as much as a no-service sealed bottom bracket sealed cartridge. Did I mention the slick sealed bottom bracket cartridges are service free?

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.