velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorOGCollard
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013

So I rebuilt my Peugeot into single speed with aluminum crank. I am 250 lbs. When I power into the pedal stroke it feels like my cranks are pulsing in and out through the pedal stroke. When I am just pedaling along and not putting them under a load. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. The arms are on straight and the pedals are too. Could I be heavy enough that I am flexing the crank arms to cause this?
    still a road and track crank with a road chain, or all 1/8" track parts. What model Peugeot? Tubing? frame size?
    If you are that big and not shaped like a cannonball I'm guessing a 56 minimum, and quite possible much larger. Even a high end road is not designed liked a true track or even a low end fixed gear, throw in a moderately big ratio and hammer it, your going to feel all kinds of torsion, flex and "oddness"
    • CommentAuthorOGCollard
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013

1/8 inch chain and crank. 76 Peugeot uo8 I believe. 46t chainring. I believe 1.25 to 1.5 inch tubing. Down tube is 23 inches long. Funny thing is I do not recall feeling that flex before the conversion.
    if all else is the same it would be a result of the frame flexing. I'm betting if you would have put the same starting effort into the bike in a similar gear, you would have noticed the same result.
    You're sure the BB is properly adjusted as well?
    • CommentAuthorOGCollard
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013

Well, I did have LBS put the bottom bracket in. Everything looks flush and straight on it. It was a french thread velo orange grand cru bottom bracket. I really honestly think it may be just my size since it goes away when not under a load. Plu, I notice when I put my feet in a little closer to the crank arm on the pedal it causes a big reduction in it. I did notice the frame actually flexing so I was thinking that was prolly it.
    if you are hammering with your feet fairly outboard on some platform pedals that answers everything, Hope your crotch is not exposed to a snapped crankarm!
    By the way, what brand and crank arm length?
    • CommentAuthorOGCollard
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2013

Yes. Big platforms. That would cause those crank arms to bend a little or the plastic housing of the pedal to bend causing that misaligned feeling wouldn't it? I am actually going to get some smaller welgo pedals and see if that makes a difference. Snapped crank arm would lead to painful crotch bashing on top tube I spose. Btw they r lake 165 mm crank set 46t. Not the best but not the worst crank set.
    • CommentAuthorOGCollard

Pake. Not lake
    If you were doing this on some Dura Ace 165 I'd be scared to meet you!
    • CommentAuthorOGCollard

Would the dura ace be tougher? I have 16t freewheel but gonna change to 17t
    its what the majority of pros and nearly all Kierin racers run, but the frame and wide set of the platforms will have more of an effect.
    • CommentAuthorOGCollard
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2013

It was totally the pedals. Put new pedals on and everything is straight as arrow. Thanks for your input!
    Like Archimedes said, "give me a long enough lever and I'll flex the shit out of this Peugeot!" Or something like that.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.