velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013

That's right, we're talking numbers here. No need to ask "if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for this beautiful stallion"?
    You can post the total spent on each of your bikes, or the breakdown of cost per part.
    Also great deals found on bikes or parts may be bragged about here.
    If you're feeling crazy, ask a specific user about one of their bikes, although they don't have to answer if they don't wish.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013 edited

I have a spreadsheet on my google drive with all this stuff.

That includes parts and money spent on complete bikes.

invested is total minus what I've sold
    • CommentAuthorEND00291

(You don't have to follow this format)

Soma cost $1,533 https://velospace.org/node/41508 My favorite purchase for this bike was the $75 used Dura ace crank

bars 80 frame 300
    stem 100 fork 100
    bb 40 crank 75
    wheelset 450 chain 15
    tires 60 pedals 90
    tubes 8 seat post 115
    seat 60 headset 40

BMC cost 1,603 https://velospace.org/node/46181 I didn't want to buy a stock bike, only to switch out all the parts a year later.

frame & fork & headset 300
    groupset & cables without brakes 330
    water bottle cage 25
    brakes 75 seatpost 60
    pedals 90 seat 120
    bars 100 stem 100
    bar tape 15 wheelset 350
    tires 30 tubes 8
    • CommentAuthorveggie

The "total return" section and the "sold for" column are for when I sell parts off of complete bikes.

My totals in this spreadsheet typically don't include stuff like tape(unless specifically bought for said build) cassettes, tires, tubes, and cables. Expendable things ya know?

Edit: It seems some need updating.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291

Well, Veggie has his shit together.
    I don't really keep track, I feel I would scare myself if I knew. I have snagged some pretty sweet deals. I may whip something up to post.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8

I think too much will be the response from most of us, the only one I can think of of the top of my head was my raleigh track bike that came complete with a gipiemme pista group I got that for $400, I was happy
    • CommentAuthorlatron

My big "bike costs" spreadsheet tells me $9,932, with lots missing, I'm sure. But that's over 20-plus years and at least 25 different bikes, for myself and others. Per-bike average is $397, but there are some serious outliers here -- $3,298 for the winner, as such. Median is $141, more telling. Am happy with every penny spent, even on crazy projects that didn't quite work out. And compared to owning a car over two decades, way cheap!
    • CommentAuthorchku

Terrifying question! I used to keep some good records until I started paying stupid prices on eBay for collectable parts - in those cases I wanted to erase the expense from my memory.

Bike expenditure as a percentage of income during my undergraduate years would almost be embarrassing.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: chku
    Bike expenditure as a percentage of income during my undergraduate years would almost be embarrassing.

That's a tough one.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

I'm just sitting here laughing trying to think of a reasonable answer. A shit-ton. Lets start with that.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

I'm pretty sure I'm close to 10 grand at this point. Which considering that I'm 17 is kinda ridiculous. And that's all at steep steep discounts.
    I think I passed the GDP of some third world countries a while back and quit keeping track!
    • CommentAuthoriancambio
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013

hmm. bikes i own now:

linus roadster $560
    felt tk3 $450 used plus $650 wheelset
    dolan track aprox $1200 trade
    iro singlespeed $300 used

bikes ive owned in the past:

crammeroti road $3000 new
    iro mark v $1700 new
    $400 wheelset for iro
    2nd iro mark v frame $500

im sure theres more but thats all that comes to mind. not counting random things like bars, seats, stems, etc.

grand total something like 8k at the very least
    • CommentAuthorchefn8
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2013

Gary Fisher hoo koo e koo - bought new for $750 in 1993 - about $200 converting and setting up for commuting in 2010 will never get rid of this bike.
    Bianchi Stelvio - bought the frame and built up finished for about $600
    Nashbar Alpha 5000 - purchase plus overhaul and repaint total $230
    Recently acquired, but not yet finished or posted - Casati Cronox hope to have finished for around $350(got a crazy good deal on this mostly complete)

Repainting and selling the nashbar to a friend to fund the Casati:) (shame, I love the Nashbar)
    The wife mostly controls my cash, so I have to do things on the cheap these days:(
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2013

Posted By: manbeardI'm just sitting here laughing trying to think of a reasonable answer.

Hahaha, WE NEED ESTIMATES! At least we're not collecting cars that lose their value dramatically. side note - I've never felt buyers remorse when buying bike stuff.

I hope some people can check out this thread for ballpark info on pricing. It's not really that taboo, but we don't list the money spent on our bike pages.

Posted By: HaeganI'm pretty sure I'm close to 10 grand at this point. Which considering that I'm 17 is kinda ridiculous. And that's all at steep steep discounts.

How did you even manage to get 10 grand to spend on bikes before graduating high school? The most I saved up when I was your age was like 2,000 for a video camera.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

6-7K on bikes past & present, not including the 1200 or so I'm about to drop on a Traitor Ruben I'm building up.
    A little under 4k, half of it I regret.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

Posted By: adrian13346A little under 4k, half of it I regret.

But the other half, oh-so-sweet!

I admit to overpaying or overbuying sometimes. But I have had some radical experiences riding all the different bikes with the varied types and levels of compentry. When I got my 1st pieces(Suntour Superbe calipers, drilled campy brake levers) that I could appreciate separate from their function of the bike, that's when I said...this has some real value that I will essentially trade my life to enjoy.

As to prices paid:

Very rough estimate:

Specialized Sirrus($100)

Gitane Fixed Conversion($550 over years)

Cannondale R900($275)

Raleigh Technium 450 with full suntour sprint/spree($250)

GT GTB ($750 over years)

Olmo Gara Pista($1k)

Ciocc($500)

73' Atala($500)

Klein Quantum ($1k)

I only have the Klein, Ciocc, and Olmo now = $2500~

The rest were resold for the same or more depending on the condition I left them in(rebuilt campy record hubs that were paired with MTB rims for a previous heavier user..)
    • CommentAuthorM0THER

Damn Veggie, you are too legit. I wish I kept track of my bike expenses like you did.

This is for my Samson
    https://velospace.org/node/46354

$690 and a campy record wheelset and crankset and a fuji intermediate track frameset with vintage superbe crankset

Frame, fork, and headset (campy record wheelset and crankset)
    Pedals ($50)
    Bottom Bracket ($100)
    Crankset, chainring, bolts, dust covers ($300)
    Chain ($40)
    Saddle ($70)
    Stem ($50)
    Handlebars ($40)
    Bar tape ($20)
    Frame protector ($20)
    Seatpost, wheelset, tires, and tubes are kinda iffy. Bought my friend a fuji intermediate track for around $550 for these parts

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.