velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I dont like downtube and stem mounted shifters, depending on the drops could thumbies be slid on them. And i dont want to copy the gmcs and use trigger shifters(omg why?) on it.
    • CommentAuthortimo96
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013

I ran $12 falcon (or sunrace) friction thumbies as bar end shifters on a bike for a while. had to buy a longer screw to get them on there, but they worked as intended. Little wonky, but they worked just fine.
    Just curious because i dont have brifter money. At least not yet...
    there were some mid n 90's Suntour that had a shift lever mounted on the inboard side of the caliper body, don't recall the marketing name.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013

Posted By: socal3renshothere were some mid n 90's Suntour that had a shift lever mounted on the inboard side of the caliper body, don't recall the marketing name.

I believe they were suntour command shifters
    ding ding ding, that's it!
    I built up a bike for a friend with Soma Hwy1 drops and IRD xc-pro 9s thumbies. The shifters are 26.0 clamp with 22.0 shims for mtb bars, so you can run the shifters on the sleeved portion of any 'standard' diameter road bars. Even had room for interruptor levers on the 46cm drops. I have some pics but I forget how to post them on VS, I can email you a pic if you're interested.
    So like mtb thumbies will slide on drops?
    usually they have a flexible band clamp that can be opened up, fitted on, bent back into shape, then bolted tight. The IRD ones are higher quality and have a hinged clamp on the bars. So no need to slide them up a drop.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.