velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So, I've been casually browsing craigslist for stuff to flip. I'm not looking for cheap stuff to just turn around and sell, but stuff that I can put some effort into to increase the value and then sell for a profit. And I think I scored today! I bought a 1982/83 Bianchi Pista frame and fork along with Ofmega headset, Shimano bottom bracket, Nuovo Record Pista cranks, Shimano track chainring, Nuovo Record Pista PEDALS!!! with Christophe cages and Alfredo Binda straps, some almost NOS (mounted once) Cinelli Pista bars with 1R stem, some LA84's with 1R stem, and KMC chain all for $729.

My plan is to remove the sticker on the top tube that is surprising hard to get off (anyone have advice? The sticker just sort of flakes off in little pieces when I try to pick it off with my nail). Then get new decals, as there are none currently. And then, I'll probably ride it a bit and later put it up on eBay along with some other parts. I'm not sure what to do for the decals though, the ones on eBay are similar, but not exactly the same. Should I have custom ones made? And would that be really pricey or not too bad? Also apparently the frame was a team bike or team training bike or something. So maybe the lack of decals is due to a sponsorship thing. Also both the fork and the brake bridge are drilled, which is kinda funky.

One with decals for reference.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013

Rubbing alcohol to take sticker off.

Bianchi, they may have old ones to sell.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    Thanks for the info. I'll give that a shot.

Just tried to put a different chainring on the cranks. They're 151 bcd!!!! yyyyaaaaayyy!!!
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2013 edited

Just pour in on, then just peel or rub to take off.

Then have towel to rub gumming off.

151 was still the norm in the early 80s as most stuff from 60s and 70s.

Looks to be a 62 c/t or 63 c/t frameset.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    Yeah I think it was 72 or 73 when people started moving to 144. So these cranks would be perfect for my 73 Rodriguez! I wish the frame was that big. It's more like 59cm or 60cm ctt
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

Posted By: SillyGooseCookie

One with decals for reference.

hey! gimme my props if you're gonna reference me! ;)
    The decals on mine are kinda like vinyl decals, thick and over the paint. Not water transfers, I could peel the letters off if I wanted to. NOt sure if this the way you'd want to go, but I would think a sign shop could cut you a set, if you could find a template for them.
    hah sorry bout that. That's a good idea though. Do you think sometime (no rush) you could send me some high definition photos of the decals along with dimensions? Thanks.
    velo cals sells almost any decal set you can think of, they are vinyl adhesive, somewhat thinner, but NOT like water transfer. they can be cleared over of left as is. as Ceya pointed out, rubbing alcohol should take care of the removal issues. The Pista bars are sweet. I have a NOS pair and they sometimes bring a surprising bit of cash on EBay.
    Were there no wheels? you have 7600 which are of course great wheels but don't "match" like a nice set of Campy, Ofmega or Giepemmes would. For what ever reason the older Bianchi track bikes don't bring the dollars a same era Olmo, Colnago, Pinarello, Cinelli's, Torelli's, Mondonico would.
    Also the drilling is not unusual at all, and it funny when someone describes a bike as a "real" track bike because it isn't drilled. winter time road training with brakes was normal procedure for riders who focused on track only at the time.
    Sounds Like you are taking the fork in the road I have, instead of stripping a bike down and selling every spoke, you have a desire to first return it to its former glory, enjoy the project then move it. (I just become obsessed and have a hard time letting go!)
    the serial number should be wrapped around the top of the seat post clamp to give confirmation of the year, it also deserves the coveted Piaggio seat post decal.
    I'm a flipper myself. For me it works a lot better if the frames do not fit. I have a hard time parting with them like socal. The newer logo pista bars don't bring as much as the "Milano" logo ones. I've got a set of Milano's and have had a set of the new logo's. Kernberg has as well and I think he just sold a set, but can't remember for how much. If velo cals doesn't have any a sign or decal shop should be able to make them pretty cheap like Ceya said. As socal pointed out the brake drilling indicates that it was probably a trainer. I had a Panasonic that was drilled front and rear. The 151 BCD is cool, I had a set of Sugino Mighty Comp cranks that were 151. They were really nice, but didn't need a set so similar to my Campys. I sold them for around 200 if memory serves.

Anyway, nice find! The pedals are a great perk.
    I sold mine for 50 usd. They were in pretty decent condition, a little bit of tape residue and some light scratches. Socals right. Their value is pretty unpredictable. Your unicanitor is the bee's knees. Nice find. Is that a 2A i see?!
    • CommentAuthorbikejunky

that would appear to be a bianchi eco-pista from the piaggio era. probably a mid- eighties built frameset. the f/f are probably (highly variable market here) worth ~300. cranks ~200, the pedals ~80
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I wish I had the money to spare to do this.

That's a good idea, get bikes that don't fit, the few bikes I have bought with the intentions of selling at a latter date I've fallen in love with because they fit. Like part of me wants to sell the sr2000 and bank on it, but I can't bring myself to do it because it is the bees knees and fits.
    I had flip intentions for it as well, but I knew if I got my hands on it I wouldn't be able to let it go.
    Posted By: Albert KernbergIs that a 2A i see?!

Yeah, that was an old swap meet pick up. it was only 35 bucks!

Posted By: bikejunkythat would appear to be a bianchi eco-pista from the piaggio era. probably a mid- eighties built frameset. the f/f are probably (highly variable market here) worth ~300. cranks ~200, the pedals ~80

My friend who's owned 3 Bianchi Pistas (83, 85, 87) said they typically run 500-700. And pedals are more like 150-200
    Also, I'm wondering if the decals are worth the investment. Like, will $40-50 worth of decals mean more than that in the sale price? It might be smarter to sell it without decals. I mean, there's no questioning as to whether or not it's a Bianchi.
    I'd sell without, I honestly would not want to buy a old frame with new decals, I'd lrather leave it be or do a complete paint from bare metal and check alignment at the same time. Then finish with new decals.
    • CommentAuthorbikejunky

500-700 would be a super pista or superleggera or whatever the top end version was, and thats hopeful pricing at that model level.
    I'm not trying to hate... but didn't you not know how to change a tubular on your Casati a couple months ago? And you wanted to street it brakeless with tubs? Where'd you get your estimates? And I'm aiming to get 450-500 because of the condition (no decals, brake drillings). Again, not trying to hate, just confused.
    Posted By: bikejunkypedals ~80

If you've got old Campy pedals to sell at $80, I'll take all you've got.

The decal thing could go either way. If someone who's buying it knows what it is and that's why they want it, i.e. collector, the decals probably wouldn't make a difference and could be left off. If it's someone buying it for the "vintage street cred" of a Bianchi, then they might help being on.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.