velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited

So as I'm sure you've all amassed, I recently took a trip up to Austin to pick up a bike for vqstaphbeard from a goodwill outlet store he purchased from their ebay store. Here is the bike exactly as the guy wheeled it out(minus the paper taped to the tt describing what it was)

In all honesty, when I first put my eyes on it, things looked grim. It looked like it had rust all over it, but wait, most of the bits on the bike hadn't the capacity to rust, right?

Anyways, time for the trip home with my prize on the roof:

My girlfriend at this point was in her, as she calls it, hangry stage. Her hunger was turning into anger. I searched google maps for a taco bell nearby and it showed there was one about 4 miles away, thankfully on my way. 20 minutes passed, no taco bell. What the hell. So I pull over and search for another Taco Bell, being in the area of Texas I was in, there was another one not far away. So after google maps told me the wrong exit(it told me to take the exit after the correct one and then I had to practically drive all the way through the town it was in to get to it) we arrived. I parked right in front of a big window in the front so I could keep an eye on my precious cargo. I felt like Harold and Kumar, I had finally made it and I was going to devour anything put in front of me. Usually we both order a bean burrito and that's it, but tonight we both ordered two burritos and a cheese quesadilla each. They ended up putting chicken on the quesadillas even though we made sure they got that we wanted cheese. Whatever, we just left a giant pile of picked out chicken(even though we we disgusted and didn't eat the quesadillas) in a childish form of retaliation. The rest of the trip was uneventful as far as I can remember right now.

I kick myself for not taking any(aside from one) before and after pictures of how great the components cleaned up. All they, and the frame, needed was a simple green bath and some light scrubbing.

Brakes:

Frame after:

I'll get some pictures of the rest of the components tomorrow.

I have three options as I see it right now. Option A: Reinstall the 7400 parts and bite the bullet with the high costs of replacing the tubs.Option B: Install the Campy bits I was saving for that Trek frame I am letting soukie borrow. This option is seeming less appealing as the days go on. Option C: I recently received a pair of 7400 series brifters. For this option I would Use the DA 7400 wheels from the Ibis, sell the tubs and build up a pair of wheels with the 28h/32h Ultefra hubset I have for replacements. I have all but eliminated option B in my head typing this all up right now because I would need a headset, front wheel and brakes to complete it.
    you have a catalog perfect, bone stock legitimate race machine, why change anything but the tubular "problem" throw on some other clinchers and save the Dura Ace tubs for when your resources are a bit better fed!

By the way, those pictures look like someone put hot peanut butter in an Oyster blender in a small room on frappe with the lid off.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited

Posted By: socal3renshoBy the way, those pictures look like someone put hot peanut butter in an Oyster blender in a small room on frappe with the lid off.

What? You mean the condition of the bike?

Posted By: socal3renshoyou have a catalog perfect, bone stock legitimate race machine, why change anything but the tubular "problem" throw on some other clinchers and save the Dura Ace tubs for when your resources are a bit better fed!

That's more and more what I'm thinking. If I'm sticking with the dt shifters I'm going to stick with the tubulars because going clincher would mean leaving the ibis without wheels
    I think it's pretty sweet as is. Although brifters would be cool and would solve the problem I always have of hitting my knee on the DT shifters mounted on the fat downtube.
    especially the picture of the top tube and the speckling on the cable housing.
    @ VGS, only time the levers would come near my knees is if I'm standing at a red light.
    That's when it happens and usually every time I ride one.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013

Dude that's gonna be sweet
    I still want your car...brifters or dt shifters, it'll be awesome either way! Nice pick up!
    • CommentAuthorstayfed

Looks like some good fun. i love the way the tubing looks on these bikes.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Indians44987I still want your car...

I just got the windows tinted for my birthday, the AC works so much better now. And I also just picked up some new wheels.

Posted By: Indians44987Nice pick up!

VQ is actually the one who found it, I was just picking it up for him.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013

Aw dude! love this bike! I am really jealous, in the market for on. Wanna get rid of the saddle *wink *wink
    Posted By: FeFstAw dude! love this bike! I am really jealous, in the market for on. Wanna get rid of the saddle *wink *wink

No I do not;)
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013

Def put those 7400 Brifters on, perfect bike for them, and I was never going to use them in all honesty. I completely forgot I had given you those.
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y

Thomas also has some older Ultegra pedals he is not using, if youre going clipless and ask nicely he would probably give them to you gratis
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Now I don't have to text you pictures.

toying with the brifters idea, maybe at least until I get tires installed.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013 edited

Just need to get a section of white housing for the rear and some brake cables. I thought the chain was rusted, but just like all the other components, with a simple green bath, it was shining like new. The tape looks like it can be reused after a little cleaning. The wheels are off of souks romic, hope he doesn't mind that I'm using them. They are shimano 600 6200/wobler super champion modele 58s.

I'm surprised at how well this thing fits me, I've got the seat near the height I need. I need to do a little work with that seatpost. The saddle wont sit level. Like if you look at the bike from the rear, the saddle is leaning to the left. I have another am classic seatpost I may just put on instead. I don't know how I feel about the crit bars. I've never ridden bars with this type of bend, so we shall see...
    Looking good! It looks like it fits great. I sold my last one because it was too small. That's weird about the seatpost. Considering the design of the post and how it pretty much "floats" did you check to see if there was an obstruction in between the post and lower plate? I didn't know about the crit bars either, I was probably going to swap them out. They look cool but I don't find them very comfortable. They make really nice track bars for someone who doesn't want as much drop.
    That chain, like everything else, looks brand new!
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013

Your cat is in a lot of the photos you post. It's like where's waldo. Also the bike looks purdy.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013

Posted By: vqstaphbeardLooking good! It looks like it fits great.

It might need a longer stem, but I set the seat at about the same height as my bianchi(in relation to the bb of course).

Posted By: vqstaphbeardThat's weird about the seatpost. Considering the design of the post and how it pretty much "floats" did you check to see if there was an obstruction in between the post and lower plate?

This post, like the one off my ibis, has a smaller allen screw for adjusting the tilt of the saddle. This screw pushes on the lower plate. I'm sure you know this.

Anyways, it looks like the clamp was screwed down with it crooked and the adjustment screw dug into the bottom of the clamp. So it looks like there is little hope for this post. I'm still going to play with it some though. I'll also see if I can get some pictures. It scared the shit out of me when I noticed it while I was removing your seat, I thought it was the saddle.

Posted By: vqstaphbeardI didn't know about the crit bars either, I was probably going to swap them out. They look cool but I don't find them very comfortable. They make really nice track bars for someone who doesn't want as much drop.

I kinda feel wrong changing the stem/bars because they are originals.

Posted By: vqstaphbeardThat chain, like everything else, looks brand new!

Yeah, so far I haven't spent anything besides the initial payment to you on this bike.

Posted By: END00291Your cat is in a lot of the photos you post. It's like where's waldo. Also the bike looks purdy.

Thanks, I took another photo of the bike, but chose this one because leaf plopped down in my view.

Here is another one I took while working on it at my parents.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.