velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorspugmy
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013

Hello. I recently bought a used 2011 Trek T1. Both of the non-replaceable inserts in the track ends have come loose, and by that I mean you can remove them by hand. I wrote to Trek advising them of this, and they told me to take the bike to the local Trek dealer for a warranty repair (I told them the bike was used.) A week passed with no word from the LBS so I paid them a visit. They told me that Trek was not authorizing a warranty repair (ship the frame to them to be stripped/rebonded), and that they (LBS and Trek) were "trying to come to a solution."
    The LBS said they were considering using JB Weld on the inserts. Buying a used bike, I realize I'm probably SOL on this one, however, I think it was wrong for Trek to tell me they would do a warranty repair, which I have in writing, then renege on that. My questions are, can I successfully use the JB Weld method at home? Can the bike even be repaired? I see no reason to pay the LBS for labor if I can do it at home. Or should I try and hold Trek to their word? I'd appreciate any insight/advice. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorGloomy

It would help to see a picture but from what I understand, couldn't you just drill the inserts and fork ends in order to tight it with four small bolts and nuts?
    ^ nope theres no drill holes in the track ends..

like i said on PR, get JB weld and glue it with the track ends, and clamp it with the wheels
    • CommentAuthorGloomy

Posted By: NightStalker^ nope theres no drill holes in the track ends..

But what if you drill some to fit nuts and bolts?
    Posted By: Gloomy
    Posted By: NightStalker^ nope theres no drill holes in the track ends..

But what if you drill some to fit nuts and bolts?

then you have to get the nuts and bolts flushed with the track ends, IF YOU CANT get it to work with the jb weld.. i would try to find a washers for both inside and outside (2 on each side) and use it as a frame saver
    I would try a two part epoxy over JB Weld, just be sure to clean up anything that ooxes out while it is wet, instead of filing, shaving ,grinding after it cures.
    Drilling and countersinking, or better yet drilling and taping threads is a job best left to someone with pretty good mechanical experience, screw that up and any hope of warranty coverage is out the window!
    Posted By: socal3renshoI would try a two part epoxy over JB Weld, just be sure to clean up anything that ooxes out while it is wet, instead of filing, shaving ,grinding after it cures.
    Drilling and countersinking, or better yet drilling and taping threads is a job best left to someone with pretty good mechanical experience, screw that up and any hope of warranty coverage is out the window!

exactly
    • CommentAuthorspugmy

Thanks for the responses. Any suggestions on which epoxy would be best?
    you need this one "J-B KwikWeld"
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013

Have you spoken to the seller who you bought the framset from, tell him about the issue.

He should have known through inspection prior to selling it.

From what you wrote, BOTH sides are loose?

S/F,
    CEYA!
    Any two part liquid from a known manufacturer (3M, DOW, Rustoleum, etc.)
    • CommentAuthorspugmy
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013 edited

Posted By: CeyaHave you spoken to the seller who you bought the framset from, tell him about the issue.

He should have known through inspection prior to selling it.

From what you wrote, BOTH sides are loose?

S/F,
    CEYA!

No, I haven't spoken to the guy I bought it from. I'm not really sure there'd be any point to it, as he had to have been aware of it. He was riding the bike as a single speed, and I requested that he flip the rear wheel to fixed before I rode the bike. I can't help but be suspicious and resentful about his actions, but ultimately it was my responsibility to check it and I missed it. And yes, both sides are loose.

I'm going to give the dealer/Trek until Wednesday before I go get the bike and try to fix it myself.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013 edited

I will let him know there are issues with the frameset he sold.

He may or may have not known about the isssue but he should be known about it.

I'm surprised that they are not pinned.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    I was just going to mention, there should be some sort of alignment pins.
    • CommentAuthorGloomy
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2013

(I would still drill and bolt them in place, haha)
    • CommentAuthorspugmy
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013

Posted By: socal3renshoI was just going to mention, there should be some sort of alignment pins.

No alignment pins. There is a "rail" on the top and bottom of the track end that the inserts slide on to . I'll post some pics when I get the bike back.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2013

If it was mine I would drill and tap the frame and the drill and countersink the plates.
    I had to do this on a Van Dessel Project WR, someone had done a fixie conversion, And I couldn't source the exact original. Again it not a project for the under tooled and minimally skilled.
    • CommentAuthorthrub
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013

Posted By: HaeganIf it was mine I would drill and tap the frame and the drill and countersink the plates.

I'd go one further. I'd bond the bond the track end plates with an adhesive bedding compound (say, 3M 5200) using the wheel as a clamp, checking to make sure the alignment is dead-on, then I'd drill, countersink, and tap for fasteners.
    • CommentAuthorspugmy
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2013 edited

UPDATE: After two weeks of getting the run-around from Trek and Agee's Bicycles (RVA Trek dealer), I pulled my bike out of the shop. After some research/discussion, I decided to use 3M 8115 two part epoxy to rebond the inserts at home. Went for a 20 mile ride today after letting the epoxy cure for 24 hours. Posted some pics of the inserts on my page to show what I've been talking about. Thanks for all the help.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.