velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Good idea? Bad idea? Anybody have a source for a wheel and parts to do so?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013

I assume by IGH you mean internally geared hub? It sort of depends on what you want to do with it. Internal hubs are cool but it depends on the terrain you ride and the bikes purpose. Need some more info. Any shop can get you hubs and rims from a variety of manufacturers.
    Sorry, should've clarified - we have ONE bike shop in town and they don't carry 'em, nor do they have any interest in it.

Riding is mostly commute riding around town on a cro-moly framed comfort bike, and terrain is pretty flat, just a few small grades.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Right, not a lot of people will stick something like that because its not a very common request but and halfway decent shop should be more than happy to order a hub/wheel for you. You're in Cupertino? Like outside San Jose? There should be plenty of decent shops nearby.

As far as pros and cons of internal hubs go
    Pros
    Low maintainence
    No external moving parts

Cons
    Heavy
    Limited gear options
    Oh lordy, forgot to edit that. I haven't been on here in a looooong time, I forgot it existed.

No, I'm not in Cupertino anymore, I'm in BFE Arkansas. No bike culture here to speak of. Very strange.
    I don't particularly care about the weight, and I've seen that Shimano has a 7 and an 8 - speed hub available. The seven-speed should be roughly equivalent to the 7 I've got now. Going to keep the front derailleur, I just wanted the simplicity of an IGH in the rear.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

The shimano internal hubs are quite heavy (as with most IG hubs I assume), but most people that use them, as you say, are not too concerned with the weight.

I have had a really good experience with my wifes 8 speed alfine hub on her mixte. Setting it up is supposed to be easy, as is maintenance (I havent invested much time in understanding either, so I payed for it during installation), and so far the wife loves it. Shifting is smooth and can be done under load and even when coasting (though I think this is common of all IG hubs). I think for the giant you posted it would be a good fit.

If you can dish out the extra 70-100 bucks, get the alfine instead of the nexus. I was told it is much better, and I have no complaints. Also, the gear range on the 8 speed shimano is a little more practical than the sturmey archer model. I paid 200+ for the hub, but it was worth it. A bunch of ebay stores sell them.

I dont know anything about running an internal gear in rear with 2 gears up front, though I imagine it is no different? I am just thinking of the chainline...maybe it is a problem?
    Yeah, I was thinking about it for the Giant. It's the heaviest of my bikes already, and it's the one I am most likely to hop on to take to the store or go to work. I'm too old and fat to worry about the weight, LOL. It'd be cheaper for ME to lose 10 lbs. than my bike.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Sounds do able. You can just keep your existing RD and adjust the limits to be correct in order to take up slack.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.