velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMXVI
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013 edited

EDIT - Different question now.

I have a Sugino GS Crankset with 52/42 chain rings, 144 BCD.

Can I remove both chain rings and use a 48t instead?

Any advice would be appreciated - fairly new to swapping out / changing parts on bicycles.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013

It looks like a messenger/rd2. Nothing particularly nice. Basic crank.
    • CommentAuthorMXVI
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013

That's what I was thinking - thanks!
    • CommentAuthorMXVI
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013

Bump - different question now.
    Thanks guys.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Yes. You may need to play with chainring position(inside or outside of spider) to get a good chainline.
    • CommentAuthorMXVI

Thank you Mr. Veggie!

If you are still online maybe you can answer me this: can I convert a 7 speed rear wheel into a single speed / fixed wheel? If so, how difficult would that be and what parts would I need?

It has a Campy quick release hub.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2013 edited

Freewheel or cassette? Fixed frame or conversion? I'm about to leave so I will just say, yes, it is possible with both.

Either way, without doing something risky, you can really only convert it to a ss wheel.

If it is a freewheel wheel, it is as easy as screwing on a ss freewheel and possible respacing/redishing the wheel.

If it is a cassette hub, take a single cog out of a cassette and use it only with cassette spacers to make up for the missing cogs' space.
    • CommentAuthorthrub

What veggie said. Oh, you might want to consider swapping out that Campy quick release hub setup for a track axle and some nice track nuts; quick release hubs are not ideal handling single speed torque.

• CommentAuthorMXVI

Veggie - its a conversion, the Allez Epic that I have. I tried riding with gears and I can't get used to it, I did two 40+ mile rides with the gears and its just not my thing. Thank you for all the input, I will check if it is a freewheel or a cassette when I get home.

Thrub - thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into that. Appreciate it.
    • CommentAuthorcg3288

Horizontal dropouts are not ideal for a conversion. No way to get yor chain tension unless you find the "magic gear." I would sell it and try to by something else.
    Unless you convert it into a singlespeed not a fixed gear you can get one of those ss chain tensioner
    • CommentAuthorMXVI

Posted By: cg3288Horizontal dropouts are not ideal for a conversion. No way to get yor chain tension unless you find the "magic gear." I would sell it and try to by something else.
    Grrrrr, no way I'm selling this bicycle lol

"Magic Gear"...elaborate please, if you don't mind.
    http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
    read up
    As for magic gear, you can have a certain amount of teeth on chainring and sprocket that it gives you the perfect chain length so its not too tight or too loose. Can be achieved with 1 half link chain too
    • CommentAuthorMXVI

Posted By: bensonisajewhttp://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
    read up
    As for magic gear, you can have a certain amount of teeth on chainring and sprocket that it gives you the perfect chain length so its not too tight or too loose. Can be achieved with 1 half link chain too
    Interesting, good read, thank you.

Magic Gear: I understand now, I thought it was completely impossible to convert it - seems like there are some ways around it.

Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

I would avoid the magic gear thing if possible. It's great, works for a while, but I have it on good authority that it really doesn't last too long.
    • CommentAuthorMXVI

Posted By: Shaku
    Elaborate, please. It's happened multiple times to different people? Or...?
    I rode magic gear for about 2 years off and on with my Javelin Garda. It works, but as the chain stretches you lose tension and there's no way to pull it back in the dropouts. You have to buy chains much more frequently.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013

Posted By: stevenwilliamsenI rode magic gear for about 2 years off and on with my Javelin Garda. It works, but as the chain stretches you lose tension and there's no way to pull it back in the dropouts. You have to buy chains much more frequently.

+1

sorry, forgot to put WHY lol but yeah, that's why
    • CommentAuthorMXVI
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013

Looks like my conversion project will be placed on hold.

I really don't want to make it a SS with a chain tensioner.

@Steven do you not have that bicycle anymore? How often did you have to adjust it? Were you doing 30-40 mile rides? Just curious. Thanks.
    "I tried riding with gears and I can't get used to it, I did two 40+ mile rides with the gears and its just not my thing."

Odd.

Anyway, you can run a conversion without a tensioner, you just have to get the gearing/chain length right. You will definitely stretch and go through more chains than if you had track drops, but I'm guessing if 40+ mile rides with gears isn't your thing, then buying an extra chain per year wouldn't be an issue.

Get a half-link and figure out the gearing combo. This is a weird thread.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.