velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbikejunky
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013 edited

• CommentAuthorcg3288
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013

Your name is bikejunky but you don't know how to change tires?
    • CommentAuthorbikejunky

• CommentAuthoriliketoes

You bought an old track bike on craigslist for a decent sum, that's fine. If you're not willing to do a little research into getting that rig road-ready, you probably can afford to pay people at a bike shop to take care of all that. They will talk you into buying a different fork, and sell you some different tires, and probably a cheap (but totally functional) Tektro brake, and then, only then, do you get to ride that thing and attain the "hipster look."

Seriously, Google it.
    • CommentAuthorbikejunky

• CommentAuthorveggie

I'm on my phone, so that picture isn't that big, but it sound like you have a set of tubular wheels. If thats the case the tires are actually glued on, and replacing the tire is probably a job for an experienced shop to take care of. As for the fork, it might just not be possible
    • CommentAuthorbikejunky

NO NO NO. Don't drill the fork! Don't mess with this bike. You've got a steel track frame with full campy Nuovo Record in great shape. It is most definitely not the bike you want if you want to "try out a fixie". Wait for Socal3Rensho to see this, you might be able sell it to him and then use the money to buy a street fixed gear.
    • CommentAuthorbikejunky

They definitely look like tubs. And the Mavic GL 330 are tubular rims. I'm not sure of any other 330 Mavic offered. Many a' info on how to glue tubular tires online. If you're still not comfortable, your LBS should gladly take care of it. I'd recommend buying a drilled fork. Drilling the original will hurt resale value and my heart.
    Whoops two comments prior got in while my browser was stagnant.

Super Record indeed. As far as I know, there was just Record Pista, Super Record Pista, and Corsa Record Pista.

The "single ringed" chainring, black cages on the pedals, and seatpost point to Super Record.
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookieNO NO NO. Don't drill the fork! Don't mess with this bike. You've got a steel track frame with full campy Nuovo Record in great shape. It is most definitely not the bike you want if you want to "try out a fixie". Wait for Socal3Rensho to see this, you might be able sell it to him and then use the money to buy a street fixed gear.

+1 to all this. Just to echo:

Do not drill the fork!
    Do not mess with this bike!
    Sell it and get something more useful for the street and pocket the leftover cash.
    +2 And another echo

DO NOT DRILL THE FORK!!!!

BUY A DRILLED FORK!!

I also just noticed the "I don't know how to change the tire" comment:

SELL THIS AND BUY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

This guy is a troll.
    All right, I'll buy it, put you on a nice Bianchi Pista with good wheels, and easy to learn how to fix Conti Gatorskin clinchers.

Super Record
    Mavic gel 330
    Bernard Hinault model Turbo Saddle (so not for the track)
    What I'm guessing is a panto'd 3TTT road stem and who knows what bars.
    Do not drill the fork, It can be done, but its not a D.I.Y. project.

Must have a set of front brakes if you are new and going to ride in the street, otherwise you may be a PB&J sandwich waiting for a piece of tarmac or hood to be displayed on!
    Bikejunky, you should seriously consider selling it to socal3rensho. I sold him my Shogun tt bike and I've sent him a number of different parts to be polished. And a Bianchi pista comes with a drilled fork (and I think the brake bridge is drilled too so you can run two brakes). It has clinchers so you won't have to glue on new tires every time you get a flat (which is what you do with tubulars). It also will actually work as a street bike.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291

Posted By: parkman14This guy is a troll.

I second this accusation.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

I would daily drive the piss outta that thing
    Posted By: socal3renshoMavic gel 330

"Mavic GL 330". GEL was paired with the 280.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

This could be completely hypothetical.
    He probably took the photo from an ad or google search and is being an idiot to piss us off.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.