velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Yep. If you're having mechanical issues and want advice, post here. Now the Quick Question Thread can rest in peace.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013

Hell Yes thanks for taking the initiative Andy. You will see me here a lot
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013

The quick question thread will never die
    Dear Bike Doctor,
    My bike won't go as fast as it used to, is something wrong, what should I change, I appreciate any help you or the other VS members can give.
    PS don't ell me to ride harder or train more, it won't happen!
    Buy a bunch of high end ceramic bearings from different brands and keep switching until you notice a difference.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013

Buy more shit
    • CommentAuthorquixoticle
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013 edited

Sounds like you need a "prescription" for Go Fast Salve, made with extract of adolescent elk antler, specially formulated to make you go faster. Just don't touch your loved ones. They might grow antlers and/or test positive for Elk Growth Hormone.
    I saw a CL add from some shady sounding guy in Baltimore, he does not come right out and say it, but alludes that it helped keep him out of prison and prolonged his professional sports career! Just says ask for Mr. Lewis
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013

So, despite the fact that the guy who sold me the complete all city big block was a mechanic (works in a bike shop), he allowed the bike to be exposed to the elements. There is plenty of surface corrosion on a lot of the small bits, which is fine as I have taken them off and will clean them before putting the bike one the road. However, I am having the generation old problem with chainring bolts. The inside of the bolts have some surface rust on them, so my plan was to take them off, clean, and make sure to grease well (as I imagined the guy did not grease them when he received the cranks). However, they are stuck. I use all the force I could muster with a medium sized allen key and the chainring bolt wrench and I cannot get the damn things off. They are quite stuck. I tried turning the female bolts with the chainring bolt wrench, but it just keeps slipping. So I am not sure what to do. Do I just give up and ride the bike as is, or is there something I could spray on and around the bolts to get them unstuck? WD 40? Goo gone?

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

i'm a big fan of liquid wrench, the non-aerosol version that is.
    I'm certainly no 'bike doctor' and I feel as though we're kindred spirits in the "I'm not exactly sure" department! I'm a big fan of the Famous PB Blaster. I'd do some spraying, let it work a bit and then use a standard screwdriver and the key to extract the bolts. Usually a standard screwdriver will fit into the little slot on the rear of the female part. So sock the screwdriver in, to keep it the whole bolt from spinning, and spin away with the key. Best of luck! I'm also not familiar with the bolt wrench you speak of. Anybody??
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I dont think I will find PB in Mexico, but will look for Liquid Wrench as I am sure someone here must sell it. WIll WD40 do nothing if I let it sit for an hour or something?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

And this is what I was referring to

• CommentAuthorcicadashell
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013 edited

Mancha150 asked...WIll WD40 do nothing if I let it sit for an hour or something?

it will just make everything slippery, so don't use it. nothing penetrates like penetrating oil. i think both liquid wrench and pb blaster (which i have never used but many persons swear by) claim to actually attack corrosion, although i have no idea how they do it.
    Oh, seems way more appropriate than my standard screw driver!! I'll have to pick one up. Mexico?! I thought you were in the Chicago land area. My lady friend is from Gray's Lake. We visit her mother every so often. If we're ever in the area together, we should do some riding. I'd like to take a gander on that GT of yours, providing you let me. I'm actually out of PB Blaster and was planning on picking some up soon. If you can't find it in Mexico, PM me and I'll mail you a can.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Thanks cicada and albert, I will look for some liquid wrench or PB here.

Albert-I am originally from the chicagoland area (Evanston), but moved out when I was 18 and had been living in DC for a number of years. I moved to Mexico for work, but all my bikes except 1 (2 now) are in storage in DC (both GTs are lonely, unfortunately). Maybe one day we will end up in the same area and get to go for a ride. I think I have been to Grays Lake...had to look it up. Must have had a soccer game there growing up
    • CommentAuthorbobfike

WD-40 will just get everywhere and not do much, but if you can get some good ol' fashioned fish oil (wd-40s main ingredient) and cut it with 80-99% isopropyl (about 3:5) and swab it generously onto whatever, that will unstick most anything.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Thanks Bob. If I cant find the liquid wrench I will definitely try that. What gave me the impression wd-40 would help? I just bought a can for a bunch of things and feel like now I have no use for it
    Posted By: Mancha150Thanks Bob. If I cant find the liquid wrench I will definitely try that. What gave me the impression wd-40 would help? I just bought a can for a bunch of things and feel like now I have no use for it

fear not... WD40 is FABULOUS for cleaning residues off of most non-porous surfaces... when I was working in a materials testing lab (concrete and asphalt) we used WD40 to clean asphalt off of our tools...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.