velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I tried all of that on my Shogun before I sold it to Socal3Rensho (besides using alcohol with the dry ice). I even heated up the frame with a steam gun (which, despite what it sounds like, got really damn hot). Socal did get it out with a bridgereamer and some other stuff.
    does coke work? i heard it works well
    • CommentAuthortimo96
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2013

Posted By: NightStalkerdoes coke work? i heard it works well

It might, and you know, that's something I didn't try, but the acids in the cola would act on the iron oxide and aluminum oxide holding the post in place. Enough to get out a post as stuck as the one I was dealing with? I don't know.
    Ussually coke is my fall back. on Andy's Shogun nothing but physically rwaming it would work because prior efforts left no way the grip the post.
    I have access to liquid nitrogen, may try that if I evey have a beast to budge in the future.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2013

I'm using a shim on my 1" threadless set-up to be able to use a 1-1/8" stem.

Am I assuming correctly that the shim will take the compression load and just use a bunch of 1" spacers?

So then the stem just clamps onto the area with the shim?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: ShakuI'm using a shim on my 1" threadless set-up to be able to use a 1-1/8" stem.

If I am remembering correctly, yes you are right and would used 1 inch spacers. I did this on my GTB but didnt really pay much attention because I only left room for one spacer which I did not mess around with much after the shop installed the headset. Just remember, you need to use a 1 1/8 compression plug
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Doesn't really matter what size spacers you use
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Well, it does doesnt it? The shim is only a certain length, so it the steer tube is longer than the shim, he needs to use 1 inch spacer above or below, because 1 1/8 would not secure. If the shim is the same length as the steer tube, then all the spacers would have to be 1 1/8, right?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Spacers are just that, spacers. They are just needed to take up space vertically and won't go anywhere once the headset and stem are snuggled up.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I guess that makes sense. Thanks for pointing out
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I'm full of such trivial knowledge
    here's a question. I got a bb with a shorter spindle and my lx fd won't shift into the small ring, even with no limits. Would a road fd accommodate a shorter spindle? I'm assuming it would.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Will it go with no cable tension?
    it won't. i had a 118 i'm assuming and it's now a 107.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Why did you shorten the bb?
    because i wanted a lower q.
    the range of a front der will work on any width BB, its either installed so that the tail end (bottom left of the arc facing the crank) is turned to far outboard. If you pull it to its extreme toward the large chainring I bet it goes completely past.
    And on the 1-1/8spacer on a 1 inch stem it will eventually "squeeze" out, wont cause any problem, it just looks like someone was to lazy to get the right part.
    You know when you watch poker on TV and one chip is peeking out of the stack? Same thing.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: socal3renshoAnd on the 1/18 spacer on a 1 inch stem it will eventually "squeeze" out, wont cause any problem, it just looks like someone was to lazy to get the right part.
    You know when you watch poker on TV and one chip is peeking out of the stack? Same thing.

But if im using all 1" spacers, should they be pressing on the top and bottom of the shimmed stem?

or the shim itself?

I was told by a mechanic that they should not be pressing on the shim itself as the shim cannot take that stress of compression.
    picture? so I'm sure I'm giving correct info.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.