velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorZachAttack
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009

I just got a new Republic Bike about a month ago. My old fixie was stolen in North Philly and I was really upset because a christmas gift from my dad who originally said he'd never approve of me riding a fixed gear. So I was in a sad rush to get a new bike. I got it and from the start the fork was fucked and had to get my Fixie Vet Friend to help me with it which lowered my self esteem as a son of a welder and car builder. I've had to replace the rear wheel tubes twice I've become somewhat really knowledgable of parts and what's good or not and these parts are pretty bad. The Sugino crank is decent but the wheel set is awful and the frame is 1.) too big for me. says it's 59 but it's really 57; I'm used to 54 or smaller. I'm 5'10-11. 2.) it's heavy. I don't know what to do. Should I sell/trade on craigslist? It's not an awful bike just not a match for me. Suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited

57 should be a perfect size for you. i ride a 56 and it fits me perfect. i'm 5'11"
    Give it to me, I'm 6'1" on a 63. LOL. Craigslist is a good idea, I mean... it can't hurt other than all the time you'll waste with ridiculous offers. You might get lucky.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009

I just got back from Republic's site. Unfortunately, whether you want to call the 59 a 57 or not, there's a big gap between the medium size (what they're calling 54) and the large size (what they're calling 59). Both of them have a 540mm top tube, but they claim the seat tubes are 540mm and 590mm, respectively. Quite a jump. Personally, I think it would be rational to have a 56/57 in between; I doubt a 59 fixie would fit a 5'9' rider well. They're claiming the 59 fits 5'9" and up. Maybe a 5'9" with stork legs.
    • CommentAuthorZachAttack
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009

Yeah thanks. I'm just used to a different riding style. Smaller frame, higher seat. The saddle is like just 2 inches above the frame. Not much to work with. And this dude's a chunker.
    • CommentAuthordectangle
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009

I've had this problem before as well. I bought a bike that I expected to be great, but turned out to be a dud. I think if your not happy with it, you should just cut your losses and sell it. Part it out or sell it whole, and then put the money towards a new bike that you love.
    Traded the frame for a Raleigh Rush Hour 53cm with carbon fork. Much, much better.
    Sounds like you don't know how to fit a bike.
    Sell it.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.