velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjonb77
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008 edited

Hey guys, who knows about these? i was interested in getting some H plus Son Formation Face rims and then just read a review from an Orange County forum saying that they are sketchy and bend when riding? does anyone have any more info???
    thanks
    Jon
    i heard that they are lighter than deep v's? if this is true that could explain the rumored flimsiness.........
    they definitely do not bend when riding. just like anything light they are somewhat flexible. like if you pinch the rim with your fingers towards the middle they flex a minimal amount and you have to press pretty hard to make them flex, but flex a bit none-the-less. they are deeper, and they are for sure lighter than the deep v's. not much but they are lighter. I like the fact that they are deeper.
    • CommentAuthorHOPE
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2008

yeah i was wondering the same, planning on getting a rear 700c and a 650c

Looking forward for some comments i havent had any!
    • CommentAuthorsixspeed
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2008 edited

i read of them failing during whip skids.

anyhow, quoted from Tsuzing:

"hi guys. This is Tzusing from h plus son. i wanted to set it straight that

1. deep vs are in fact not the 530 grams like they advertise on their catalog. which is why people are saying my rims are lighter.

2. My rims are not lighter than deep vs. they are really about the same weight as a deep v.

3. My rims are WELDED joint. not sleeved or pinned like velocity. And if you don't already know, welded joint is way better than the other two.

4. I use G609 aluminium alloy. 30 percent higher MPA than 6061 on most rims."

AND more:

"I wouldn't say my rim is stronger than a deep v if you are using it for tricking. But my rims will probably stay true for longer. This has to do with the fact that my side walls are really thin and that 42 mm is a lot longer of a side wall than 30mm.
    if you are doing bunny hops off 5 stairs you might cause the side walls to bend.
    But as a normal urban riding rim my rims are strong.

Now what i can't figure out is why someone would go off spouting about my rims like he knows something about them. When he has obviously never see one in person. Nor does he know anything about the material or manufacturing process behind it.

i have a group buy of 10 rims at 70 USD. E-mail me at [email protected] "
    wow he's gettin a little defensive huh? maybe he's worried about sales dropping even though he's probably already made a killing selling these rims for twice as much as a velocity. as far as i know strength is the only practical reason for havin deep profile rims anyway. i'm wondering how to justify twice the price for similar strength/weight and less color options
    • CommentAuthorHOPE
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008

Posted By: sixspeedi read of them failing during whip skids.

anyhow, quoted from Tsuzing:

"hi guys. This is Tzusing from h plus son. i wanted to set it straight that

1. deep vs are in fact not the 530 grams like they advertise on their catalog. which is why people are saying my rims are lighter.

2. My rims are not lighter than deep vs. they are really about the same weight as a deep v.

3. My rims are WELDED joint. not sleeved or pinned like velocity. And if you don't already know, welded joint is way better than the other two.

4. I use G609 aluminium alloy. 30 percent higher MPA than 6061 on most rims."

AND more:

"I wouldn't say my rim is stronger than a deep v if you are using it for tricking. But my rims will probably stay true for longer. This has to do with the fact that my side walls are really thin and that 42 mm is a lot longer of a side wall than 30mm.
    if you are doing bunny hops off 5 stairs you might cause the side walls to bend.
    But as a normal urban riding rim my rims are strong.

Now what i can't figure out is why someone would go off spouting about my rims like he knows something about them. When he has obviously never see one in person. Nor does he know anything about the material or manufacturing process behind it.

i have a group buy of 10 rims at 70 USD. E-mail me at [email protected] "

How can a Rim fail while whip skidding im pretty much lost
    and still i dont see the point with similar strenght/weight to a much less expensive rim....... i hope they're not trying to make the aero argument because, in the best of conditions, you need a rim depth of 50mm or more just to shave maybe 1000th of a second. i admit that they look cool but i think it's pretty stupid to shell out 100+ dollars per rim, especially without any added benefit over deep v's.
    h plus sons look better in my opinion for sure. and seem just as strong. and obviously velocity doesnt make any money off their rims, so just keep buying deep v's, since everyone has them. i would rather pay extra for a better looking rim, that is just as strong, just as light and not what everyone else has. I have deep v's and an H plus Son. so i like both. and i would gladly pay 100+ for a rim i liked. maybe "alexisfaster" needs to get a big boy job.
    i'm sorry my mommy and daddy dont give me an allowance anymore, but i'm 25 and i'm the kitchen manager of a high volume fine dining resteraunt. i have a salary of 52,000 a year plus quarterly bonuses. i just dont like throwing away money on hipster trash. btw, deep v's suck.
    man you are awesome...

...and you are right, bikes are hipster trash.
    word
    • CommentAuthorbuckydcxvi
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

you are a bunch of pussies!
    who the fuck cares what rims you got
    or how much they are,
    don't be a bitch!
    not bikes dip shit, i'm talking about stupid fuckin fashion accesories that serve no real purpose. if it wasnt for suckers like you sesible people who actually care about the overall value of what they ride wouldnt have to constantly worry about getting ripped off
    my overall point is that looks shouldnt be everything. a bike is a purpose built performance machine. performance, comfort, reliability, and value should all come before looks (not nessicarily in that order). personalization is important but the other things matter more. cycling is a way of life for me, if it was for you too you'd understand. i cant wait for all the "trendy" people to fall off the band wagon so prices can go back down and quality can go back up, seriously, i remember like 2 years ago you could get used keirin frames for like 500 bucks . in the mean time keep throwin your money away.
    yeah ok, so you are pissed because more people buy the parts which drives competition and drives the price up. therefor you have to pay more for what is now "trendy". i understand now. sorry man, you are right, why the heck should people get into cycling when you were into it first. dang-it. i'll try to let them know to stop.
    you're still missing the point, but i dont know think i can make it any clearer
    yeah ok, so you are pissed because more people buy the parts which drives competition and drives the price up. therefor you have to pay more for what is now "trendy". i understand now. sorry man, you are right, why the heck should people get into cycling when you were into it first. dang-it. i'll try to let them know to stop.

did i not get it with that guess?

i really thought i had it.

anyways, i still like bikes, sorry.
    man two years ago you could get a lotta track bike items for less... that's what I've been preaching about: don't give in the hype.
    I just don't really care so much anymore because I know in another two years most of those dumb ass lil kids be riding daddys brand new car and that's why
    they won't bother the cycle movement anymore... the ones that stay should also grow up and see there is more than just name brands and hype

I only care about performance fuck looks, names and hype
    well put

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.