velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

That's the plan!
    Posted By: vqstaphbeard
    I'm usually a black saddle/bar tape guy myself, or sometimes white/white. But, I see this build differently as I want to tone down the white and black frame. If I could find a blue-ish purple tape to match the Cosmics I could see it, but I don't care for standard blue and yellow together. I may wrap a blue T-shirt around it to get a feel. The rest of the parts have been on the list. I'm looking for AX calipers and a DA FD. I actually just pulled out my chainrings and a Suntour FD to put on.

Here's a photo of the pattern I was referring to:

This taping patern isn't that difficult... I've done it on a couple of my bikes... it's just time consuming. It can take me upto an hour per side... On my Nishiki I just left the tape raw, which has weathered nicely, although it's starting to frey in places. On my track bike I coated the cotton tape in shelack which gave it a nice antiquey look. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying it out... definitely gets lots of attention.

• CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

Doesn't the shellac make the bar tape rather unyielding? Always wondered...
    Posted By: per.kDoesn't the shellac make the bar tape rather unyielding? Always wondered...

Wrap it, then shellac it... true, there's not much cussioning effect to the tape, but I'm not riding the track bike on long rides, but I do ride my Nishiki on 100-150 km rides on a semi regular basis and have never had any reason to complain. You'd think with the glossy finish that they'd be slippery, but I haven't found that to be the case...

for the record, the tape shown above was yellow and apple green before the shellac. so it definitely does change the colour.
    I ended up using the yellow on my Crack although I did do one side of the bars with the harlequin pattern first to say I did. The Peloton has taken a different turn but is still the hodge podge of parts on a frame that's too small that it's always been. I've been looking for a new touring frame for a while to stick my gruppo and new bag (above) on and that's where most of my focus is. Need that old lugged frame with cant's and a plethora of braze-ons! When I procure a frame I plan on doing the cotton wrap/shellac method. It was between that or another one of my homemade stitch-on leather covers.
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013 edited

I would go for the leather stich-on. What is the draw to shellac?

... better yet http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
    Haha as cool as the Plasti-dip looks, I'm not sure this would be the ideal application. Man, if i were to purchase that I'd have everything in the shop coated.
    Darn near finished. Need clasps for the elastic cord to mate with.

Also waiting on this decaleur to come in:

Made a small saddle bag for tools to match the rando. I only remembered to take one in-progress shot.

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2013

You should, uh, make these and sell them on etsy. I'd buy one
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2013

That's some lovely handiwork Virgil!
    Posted By: veggieYou should, uh, make these and sell them on etsy. I'd buy one

I thought about making and selling them, but I'm not sure I could take the monotony. It's fun doing them for myself, but I could see it getting old. However, I do have one more front bag, at least, in the makes. It will be an inverse of materials.

Posted By: chkuThat's some lovely handiwork Virgil!

Thank you!
    Virgil got finally picked up an old lugged touring frame!

Schwinn Voyageur:

Gruppo from Fuji plus some new goodies as well:

I still need to take some pictures of the Cannondale Track for Andy. It now sports a yellow Flite and yellow cotton tape.
    HOLY SCHNEIKIES, Virgil! That frame looks beautiful, and the build is going to be great. Where'd you pick the Schwinn up?
    Thanks! Got it off ebay. I have been scouring ebay and craigslist for a few years looking for an old lugged touring frame with cantis for a reasonable price. Finally found one.
    Snapped a few shots during the test ride. Still need to decide on bar wrap. Thinking of a dark red/maroon cotton & shellac job. Also need to measure the max tire size I can run so I can order some new ones. These 28's aren't giving me that plush ride I o' so desire!

• CommentAuthorcg3288
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013

Looks great. Those bags you made are perfect.
    Thanks! I'm really happy how everything turned out.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2013

ohhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Added yellow tape and Flite just for Andy.

https://velospace.org/node/45661

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.