velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hi Guys,
    I recently bought a Crmo flat bar (Tange T- 4231) for my IRO angus. I I just put a set of rubber track grips on it that I had lying around. They are very stiff and the ole wrists are taking a pounding. Im running 23's at 90psi on box section rims.
    Wondering whether or not an alloy riser bar or alloy MTB bar would provide a little more comfort in the elbow/wrist department? Anyone have any specific thoughts on bar selection for a fixed commuter???
    Thanks
    matt
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013

Drop bars and hoods all the way
    Nah, want something a bit different from my roadie.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Well that's what I have on my commuter.

What did you have on before?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Go to 28's how much do you weigh? You could run like 70psi depending on weight
    • CommentAuthorShaku

for wrists I wouldn't do risers, i had the most elbow and wrist pain from that compared to drops.
    • CommentAuthorelhephe

Posted By: veggieDrop bars and hoods all the way

this, it provides the most hand positions, and changing positions helps a ton with this sort of thing.

Also, with flat bars and risers, a ton of people like to ride way upright, with their wrists bent, fingers up, and their hands near the stem. Try not to do that, concentrate on keeping your elbows bent and supporting your weight with your core.

I get some major lower arm numbness issues, and some less major shoulder pain, and concentrating on whats supporting my weight seems to be the best cure.

Another thing to consider is thicker/cushier grips. Most track grips come in a range of thicknesses, and having a grip that fits your hand better could help with where and how you put your hands on the bar.
    you could wrap the damn things in marshmallows and unicorn lint. It still wont solve the problem.
    You have fewer option in how to adjust your support, so the only option is superman flat and straight ahead, the force is transfered directly back into your shoulders, through your elbows and wrists. drops allow you to use your arms like linkage instead of straight struts.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2013 edited

This might be a "radical" suggestion, but if you do want to stay away from road drops and think the standard flat bar/mountain bar setups bother your hands, you could try something like the nitto albatross/north bar/replica type bars. My wife road a flat bar and bullhors on her pista, and after 5 or 10 miles, would complain about her hands. The bars on her mixte have given her nothing but happiness, even on rides over 25 miles. In fact, I think they put this sytle of bar on stock steamrollers for a while

Posted By: Mancha150This might be a "radical" suggestion, but if you do want to stay away from road drops and think the standard flat bar/mountain bar setups bother your hands, you could try something like the nitto albatross/north bar/replica type bars. My wife road a flat bar and bullhors on her pista, and after 5 or 10 miles, would complain about her hands. The bars on her mixte have given her nothing but happiness, even on rides over 25 miles. In fact, I think they put this sytle of bar on stock steamrollers for a while

or a mustache bar or porteur bar would also be a wise choice. You might want to look at your saddle to bar drop too.
    if its to large a drop, that can add pressure to your hands. I enjoy keeping my bars more or less level with my saddle, you should try it and see if that helps.
    reverse nitto rb-021
    Posted By: socal3renshoyou could wrap the damn things in marshmallows and unicorn lint. It still wont solve the problem.
    You have fewer option in how to adjust your support, so the only option is superman flat and straight ahead, the force is transfered directly back into your shoulders, through your elbows and wrists. drops allow you to use your arms like linkage instead of straight struts.

Unicorn lint...thats a good one. Yes I guess straight arms = no good...perhaps i should give bullhorns a go.
    If you must have a straight bar, look for a Girvin flex stem, not designed for road, but they are vintage cool mtn bike stuff, and they work great for taking the edge off direct jarring.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013

I alleviated wrist pain on my Surly Cross/MTB with a sort of sweep flat bar. It puts the wrists in a more neutral position and maintains the existing stem length.

The Salsa Bend 2 comes in two different angles, 17 or 23 degree. Other manufacturers make something similar.
    • CommentAuthorcicadashell
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013 edited

Posted By: cantrelephant
    Posted By: socal3renshoyou could wrap the damn things in marshmallows and unicorn lint. It still wont solve the problem.

Unicorn lint...thats a good one. Yes I guess straight arms = no good...perhaps i should give bullhorns a go.

there's no law saying you have to lock your elbows just because you're riding a straight bar. it might be more likely to happen if you're not thinking about, so...think about it. i'm happy with the cockpit on my fixed commuter, but it's important to point out that my trips are almost always between 30 and 40 minutes, and that's not really enough time to get uncomfortable. and i do things like stop for lights and stuff. i have the bars at saddle height (a good tip from williamblakeetc), and with hands on top of the grips i can keep my elbows loose while still upright enough to see what the fuck is going on around me.

you could get similar results from the mustache or porteur style bar that others have mentioned, so if you have the chance to try them you should do it. if you're riding this bike for long periods then the additional hand positions are definitely an advantage. i just want to say that straight bars work fine for me, for daily riding around town.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013

Aluminum bars are going to help in the comfort dept. As far as wrist angle goes, narrow bars need less of an angle and wider bars need a little more. Moustache bars etc. that position your hands sideways* do not offer the control** that a flat or slightly angled bar does atmo. I don't like road drops for this reason either. I think the biggest lie ever told was that drop bars are the way to go on the road. They are not for everyone.

* it's a great hand position for climbing.

**for instance if your rear wheel starts sliding. You have way more of an ability to control a slide with a flat bar, which is why BMX and MTBs use them.
    Posted By: chkuI alleviated wrist pain on my Surly Cross/MTB with a sort of sweep flat bar. It puts the wrists in a more neutral position and maintains the existing stem length.

The Salsa Bend 2 comes in two different angles, 17 or 23 degree. Other manufacturers make something similar.

How would that style of bar go when climbing out of the saddle?
    Ok so I took a gamble and bought a set of Bullhorns. Syntace Stratos 200 with a 5 deg drop.
    I will let you know how I get on and picture of course
    You could try a 'bum bar'

see attachment for details.

Cheers!
    Posted By: cantrelephantOk so I took a gamble and bought a set of Bullhorns. Syntace Stratos 200 with a 5 deg drop.
    I will let you know how I get on and picture of course

so after riding a flat bar for a while I took a punt on a set of Syntace stratos. very happy with the decision. I can get 3 or 4 different grip positions - although the fizik bar tape I got is lacking major grip.
    How do I insert a photo into the comments section?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.