velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012 edited

Anyways...

As Adrian knows, someone came into the shop the other week and donated a Trek 1420 just like his old one. A coworker snagged and was going to build up his first bike, at the same time replacing a bike that got stolen about a month or so back.

Well when I walked in today and we got to talking, he told me he was scrapping this project. There was a massive amount of toe-overlap according to him and the the wheels were just such a pain to install tires on. So now its mine. At the same time someone donated a Centurion to another coworker so I've told him he can take anything that came with the Trek.

It's a 51, so I'll get to use my extra long Cinelli on it. The plan is to move everything from the Ibis onto this. The Ibis will be getting the Campy treatment. Record Ti shifters, Chorus Cranks/bb(from quixoticle), Chorus(I think) FD, Daytona RD, and a Record/Open Pro Rear wheel. I will be sharing the front wheel for the time being with the Bianchi.
    It's a really nice frame, but is it worth taking apart your Ibis for?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012

I was going to do that anyways, so yeah, it's worth it.
    Why? Do you have other plans for the Ibis or will it just sit around for a bit?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012 edited

Posted By: veggieThe Ibis will be getting the Campy treatment.

I was already planning on redoing the Ibis.
    Haha I read that but it didn't click. And the double build thread title didn't click either (I'll blame going to bed at 4). Alright that makes more sense now. Can't wait to see both.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012

But shhh, don't tell my parents
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012 edited

I found a pair of Shimano 105 sl-1051 dt shifters in my dad's part stash I think I'm gonna use on the Trek.

Question is, do I want to run them indexed 7 speed or do I want to run them 8 friction? Trying to do this without buying anything aside from consumables such as cables/housing, or I'd just buy some new DAs or something of the like. I'm also toying with the idea of running the Trek with a flat bar.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012

Change of pace, this frame will be going to soukietron. Not to have, but to use. He's been looking for a frame to use the Romic's 600 parts on. I don't want to sell this frame because I am already attached to it, the first bike I bought with my own money was my '90 Trek 420 I bought from a friend's dad for $20. It was wayy to big, but it was what got me into working on bikes, so I've always wanted another trek of the same era/color scheme.
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2012

AWWWW YEEEAAAHHHHH

Tyler's going to teach me how to work dem gears.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012

I think I want to piece together a Superbe Pro Group for the Trek, how does that sound?
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Superbe Pro is awesome, do it!
    True, SSP is awesome, but this was such an entry level ride. Came stock with Deore II cranks, deraileurs and 105 SC SLR (very good brakes) not as mismatched as DA on a schwinn varsity, but close. If you going to do a SSP build, in my opinion look for an earlier year Pro model. Like a 560 or 660 with 531 tubes.
    Now that I said it out loud...... I'm on a hunt.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: socal3renshoTrue, SSP is awesome, but this was such an entry level ride. Came stock with Deore II cranks, deraileurs and 105 SC SLR (very good brakes) not as mismatched as DA on a schwinn varsity, but close. If you going to do a SSP build, in my opinion look for an earlier year Pro model. Like a 560 or 660 with 531 tubes.

I am going to have to disagree with you on that. By your logic, I shouldn't have the near full dura ace I have on my crosscheck or have even thought about putting Campy on my "entry level" KHS tandem. SSP on this is also nowhere near the level of putting Dura Ace on a Varsity.

Posted By: socal3renshoNow that I said it out loud...... I'm on a hunt.

Well now I'm not anymore, because I know you would outbid me on everything
    • CommentAuthorbroklahoma

I kind of agree with socal3rensho. This would be a great candidate for a newer 105 group or something along those lines. Beater bike with parts that work well and that you won't have to worry about locking up.

That being said, if you build it with SSP, it'll still be cool!
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y

Im pretty sure I have a superb rd you can have... if you ever start coming over to hang out again
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2012 edited

Posted By: broklahomaI kind of agree with socal3rensho. This would be a great candidate for a newer 105 group or something along those lines. Beater bike with parts that work well and that you won't have to worry about locking up.

That being said, if you build it with SSP, it'll still be cool!

This isn't going to be a beater. And I'm sorry my choice of components doesn't jive with everyone, deal with it

Posted By: M1K3YIm pretty sure I have a superb rd you can have... if you ever start coming over to hang out again

Awesome.

Sorry, I've just had other things on my plate, trying to move by the 15th. It's also kind of hard when you guys always go to bars. What are you doing for new years?
    It would have to be a craigs list hunt. a naked frame like that on the bay would not come cheap, what with the cool investment casted silver soldered lugs, made in America cache', true early race geo.
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y

possibly going to see justin west, its his birthday. I dont really know for sure though. Just shoot me a text or something, our shops closed for the next two days if ya wanna go ride
    Posted By: veggieI'm sorry my choice of components doesn't jive with everyone, deal with it

Chill out dude, members are just voicing their opinions, which I was led to believe is a main point of the forum.

On point, I really like SSP and think it would look good.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.