velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I read several cycling related publications and fallow some cycling blogs and podcasts.

I have noticed some that seem to be as much about outright fashion as much as cycling and related subjects.

What is your opinion on “cycling fashion”?
    • CommentAuthorFeFst
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012

Gotta look good
    cycling-related but outside-of-cycling clothes (i.e. cadence)...especially within the fixed gear culture circle...is whack beyond words. so provide to thee:
    i (kinda) don't mean to offend anyone who's already bought that stuff. cuz its too late for you...but...nvm, forgot what i was gunna say.

ps. merry christmas
    Not gonna lie I bought a pair of Cadence gloves about a year and a half ago because they look cool. Even got a ton of compliments from non-cycling friends. Wouldn't buy another pair though.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Not everyone wants to wear (very expensive) spandex with corporate logos splashed all over it. I like the idea of "normal" looking clothes designed for cycling. I wouldn't mind some jeans with crotch padding like cycling shorts have and a slightly tapered leg to keep it away from my chain. Or a jacket that is waterproof but just looks like a "mechanic" jacket. I'd take a pair of Chrome brand shoes over cycling shoes as well.

Cycling clothes are fine for cycling events but eventually you are in in public with the rest of the non-cycling world and you stick out. I prefer to be anonymous.
    Obviously you would look different wearing cycling gear but I wouldn't say stick out. If you go to the park and see some guys playing basketball wearing shorts and jerseys they don't stick out, they're just wearing clothing specific to the sport. I think that idea is something a lot of people don't get. Almost all of the time people see me in tights they don't even give a second look, though a little girl did ask if I was a super hero last july...
    As far as cycling fashion goes, i see it this way, cloths that you can wear on a ride to work/school whatever without looking like a spandex dork, is cool, so long as its reasonable. all i have is 2 sets of levi commuter knickers, some vintage sidi touring shoes, and as much wool as i can find. i think cycling ponchos are the stupidest thing ever, and i don't see myself needing more than what i listed here. oh and i have one of those giro surface helmets, the kind covered in black leather.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

I just got those Cadence x DVS shoes, they have a cool water resistant fabric and I think they look sweet.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited

Compared to wearing jeans and a T-shirt yes you do stick out. People wear basketball shorts as casual wear, at least kids do. It's not remotely the same as wearing cycling gear. I don't want to look like I am playing a sport I want to look like I am going to get coffee, because that's probably what I am doing.

Cycling shoes in particular are ugly, even MTB shoes. At least the Chrome brand shoes just look like All-Stars, but nicer.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012

Nice cycling shoes look nice. My specialized elites in white with blue look sleeek
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

I have the Giro Prolight SLX's, they're sleek and stealthy.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2012 edited

But they look like cycling shoes.
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346

I think the OP was directed towards all cycling apparel not just people commuting....

Posted By: SkidMarkCompared to wearing jeans and a T-shirt yes you do stick out. People wear basketball shorts as casual wear, at least kids do. It's not remotely the same as wearing cycling gear. I don't want to look like I am playing a sport I want to look like I am going to get coffee, because that's probably what I am doing.

Cycling shoes in particular are ugly, even MTB shoes. At least the Chrome brand shoes just look like All-Stars, but nicer.

I don't think you got my point. I'm not gonna get kitted up to go get coffee or a bite to eat I wear casual clothes and shoes just like how a football player or nascar driver wouldn't go to a restaurant all geared up. To make it even clearer I agree with you, in everyday circumstances you would look weird/stick out, but on the bike or on the field of whatever sport you enjoy you just look like another guy participating in that sport.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I'm pretty sure Stinky Pete is talking about blogs like prollyisnotprobably and pedal consumption. They are about style, fashion, and lifestyle but if you look at the bikes they are just as much about style or attitude. As much as a bike is a tool it can also convey a certain attitude and emotion. As someone who is at the very beginning of starting a business as a framebuilder I am very aware of this as I think of what image I want to convey and the type of consumer I want to attract.

I don't think anyone who has a bike as primary transit is ever just commuting. Almost every outing on a bike ends up being a combination of recreational riding, socializing, and getting from point A to point B. I would like clothing that reflects that and cycling gear for sport doesn't and neither does the outerwear designed for commuting. There's tons of small companies catering to this and I think that it helps get a wider audience interested in cycling.
    I wish there was a realistic solution to spd casual shoes. Mtb shoes will never work like street shoes, and the chrome and dzr shoes look like something a 6th grader would wear. I wish doc martens made spd shoes.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Hafta wonder what you think of the way Vans look, been wearing the same style of them since I was 15.
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes

Vans and jean shorts all damn day.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012 edited

Outside of my kit, all of my commuting clothing is "cycling fashion". I've been wearing the Levi's commuter line of clothing for the last couple of years, and I'm glad that outlets like that exist for casual/commuter cyclists. There's no need to kit up and bring a change of clothing to work when cycling clothing and work clothing can be the same. That's awesome. Watching it bleed out into non-cycling fashion is kinda odd, I see non-cyclists wearing MIssion Workshop, Chrome and Levi's commuter gear pretty often now. But I'd rather see the style disseminate out into popular fashion than not have the option at all, provided it's not at the expense of quality and price. I will say, most "cycling fashion" jackets are no match price wise or functionality wise compared to something decent from Outdoor Research, Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Columbia, etc. and look marginally better at best than the aforementioned brands.

As far as shoes are concerned, I see enough strange looking sneakers that wearing a pair of Sidi's just doesn't seem odd anymore. A co-worker once asked me if they were a pair of Tsubo's, depsite the huge Sidi logo across the strap. That's casual enough for me.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2012

Vans Sk8 His

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.