velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorsteve1436
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012 edited

Hello everyone, I am excited to start a forum thread about a build I recently purchased.
    First, my Mercier Kilo TT was stolen from my girlfriend's garage.

I had no idea it was gone since I had been recovering from a broken clavicle. Now that it is gone, I am looking for something similar but with gears.
    My first road bike was the Pinarello, however, it is just too big to ride on the daily. (https://velospace.org/node/39322)
    I went to a bike swap meet outside of an Incycle Bike Shop and saw this frame as had to have it.

The owner had a complete build for sale which included Shimano Ultegra 6500 group, Bontrager Wheel set, and Easton components.
    Long story short, I believe I got it all for a good deal, especially everything is basically new. Check out the pictures! This build will be assembled this weekend. Thank you, any opinions or comments?
    Specs:
    - KHS Flite 800 Reynolds 853 54cm
    - Reynolds Carbon Fork
    - Cane Creek S-3 Headset
    - Bontrager R455 Wheelset
    - Suntour Superb Pro Front Hub
    - Ultegra 6500 Rear Hub
    - Ultegra 6500 Bottom Bracket
    - Ultegra 6500 Crankset 172.5
    - Ultegra 6510 Shifters
    - Ultegra 6500 Brakeset
    - Ultegra 6500 Front & Rear Derailleur
    - Ultegra 6500 Cassette 12-27
    - Dura Ace Chain
    - Easton EA70 Handlebar, Stem, Seatpost
    - WTB Shadow Saddle Ti Rails
    - WTB Solano Tires 23c

Looks sweet!, but you need to remove the "[IMG]" bits. You only need to post a url to embed photos.
    • CommentAuthorsteve1436
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012

Thanks for that! They are showing up now. How would you build it? :)
    This is awesome! I love how many new build threads are popping up.
    • CommentAuthorsteve1436
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012

Seriously, so many inspiring builds. I'm wondering how the black components with the silver groupset would end up looking. Nevertheless, it is still being built up with these parts...for now. I'm only debating on the bar tape the guy gave me...
    • CommentAuthordicklips
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2012

Yeah, I'd say just stick with black bartape. I'd choose fizik. Otherwise, this is awesome!
    I used to love fizik tape but the lack of padding is no bueno. Now I swear by Cinelli Mash Volee tape, it has a tennis grip like feel and just enough padding but not bulky. Plus you get +1 street cred because Mash is in the name.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Thats why you use gloves...
    I do use gloves...
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I really like the frames color, this is going to be a nice build!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited

I can't stand gloves with padding.
    At the most, an extra leather layer is cool, but any sewn on gel or foam pads on gloves I can't stand. I just don't need much in my bar tape either, I'm usually on the hoods or in the drops, and in the drops a lot of the vibration has dissapated already.
    Do you guys all ride like 120 psi? You know that the number on the sidewalls is a MAX, not the recommended psi. I'm 135 lbs and I run 95-100 at most. Racing my 700x23c tubulars on my zipps I raced at 95 psi.
    Tire size and quality, and inflation make the biggest difference in ride quality, I think more than the difference between frame materials. Also, hardcase tires cancel out any of the benefits of flexible sidewalls around turns and over uneven surfaces.
    I really wish that junior roll-out restrictions didn't make it so damn hard to move up in tire size, I have a friend that raced 25c's and when they did his roll out test he failed and he was DQ'd.
    I'm going to be training on lighter 28c's because I'm convinced that tire size is no sacrifice for speed, inflated to the correct psi.

I have a big head tonight.
    I once rode my Tufo's at 200psi (they have a 220 max) and that was really fun (harsh ride, but really low rolling resistance). I usually pump up my rear tire (for pretty much every tire I run) to 110-120 and my front to 100-110. But I'm around 175lbs.
    I'm about 150 and I do 100psi Front and rear, a little lower if the ground is wet. I use gloves with absolutely no padding they just look cool. I agree with you park if the gloves have any gel, foam, etc it makes my hands numb, but I used to use cloth tape and then fizik. Both make my hands extremely sore on long rides. This cinelli stuff is in between thick tape and tape with no padding.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012

Ha, im 115 and i pump those suckers up to like 110-115
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012

Houston is flat and probably has dry, well kept roads.
    • CommentAuthorsteve1436
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013

Hi everyone, I've been lazy on posting up my pictures. Since it's a rainy day, I have some time. Been riding my bike for a while now, I love how light it is in the front thanks to the full carbon fork. This is my first carbon fork, or any carbon ha. I live in a city where its mostly hills, just 10 minutes away from entering Mt. Baldy and GMR! The basically NOS Ultegra 6500 group is awesome, the shifters are very nice and quiet. I feel like I can get a 110 or maybe 120 stem on there and find a better saddle. Bar tape is whatever to me but its nice to be able to just ride it. Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013

Good stuff steve, I love the color of the frame
    looks great, and fun to ride. i just got my first full carbon fork too, last summer, and it really does feel different up front. enjoy!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013

this rules.
    i love tigged reynolds bikes.
    only thing i'd change would be bar(f) tape.
    • CommentAuthorsteve1436
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2013

thank you Mancha and cicada, I love the color also.
    parkman, I think it would look nice with black tape. What about you?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.