velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorstayfed
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012 edited

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum but have been a long time fan / reader. My bicycle was stolen last week so I've decided to stay positive and work on a new build throughout the winter. I was fortunate enough to purchase a lightly used Affinity frameset from Bicycle Revolution in Philly and I hope to document and share this process with everyone here.

Affinity 212 Frame
    Affinity Fork
    Velo Orange headset

Thanks everyone
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012

Welcome.

What components are going onto this beauty?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

is that a road frame?? i didn't know affinity made them. She looks gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

It's kinda hard to see the dropouts, but they are there.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

This would look great with 8 or 9 speed campy or the silver athena group!
    • CommentAuthorstayfed

I am thinking about picking up a SRAM rival groupset and some Chris King hubs laced up to Mavic Open Pros. Thats about as far as I got.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Do you know you like sram? I would try and find comparable bikes at a shop and test ride campy, sram and shimano
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

You should think about that 300 dollar shimano ultegra group that was posted in the best and worst of craigslist...
    Posted By: stayfedI am thinking about picking up a SRAM rival groupset and some Chris King hubs laced up to Mavic Open Pros. Thats about as far as I got.

what about silver 5700 105's?
    • CommentAuthorstayfed
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012

My last bike had Shimano components. I liked it but am drawn to the SRAM for some reason. I am going to look into Shimano some more. I want to make this build a mix of modern and classic components. Stealthy with a bit of shine. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
    Nice one, but please don't put all 'black' cranks, and go instead as suggested for 'silver' campy or 'silver' Rival. If you manage to get hold of 'silver' Rival cranks for a reasonable price, please do not hesitate to let me know (175mm, BSA): I have another partially black frame here waiting to get stuff mounted :D ...Cheers.
    • CommentAuthorstayfed

No black? Silver seems to be the over all consensus here. I'd probably go Shimano over Campy. So many decisions.
    • CommentAuthorstayfed
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012 edited

I am thinking about putting on this stem VITUS Quill Stem
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

With the headset and fork being chromed, you are gonna get mostly suggestions for a classy groupset. I think a lot of people here think that "fat/thick" modern components on a lugged or otherwise thin tubed steel frame looks funny. It would look really, really good with a silver seatpost and silver stem. Lots and lots of 3TTT can be had for a third of the price of that vitus, or even cinelli in some cases.

My suggestion before was to look for new old stop 8 or 9 speed campy because it goes well with steel frames. In terms of modern groups, athena comes closest, and the price is not bad

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_259&products_id=1369&zenid=giq50alg3r4lkj8k145mcg0nh1

Velomine also has a lot fo decent stuff in their 10 speed category for cheaper (silver veloce for 699). Or go on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Record-Racing-9-Speed-Group-/281037928220?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item416f2a771c
    • CommentAuthorstayfed

Yeah I agree. I might even go as far as doing some photoshop mock ups. I love bikes with nice silver highlights. I just want to make sure it's well balanced and not so blinged out.
    • CommentAuthorstayfed

This build of a 212 is nice. A good balance of Black and Silver.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Can't look past the short ass stem with a setback post and that blue
    Naw, this one is much better

Still suffers from short-ass stem syndrome though. (hey that was an alliteration)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Stem isn't too bad
    • CommentAuthorstayfed

I have short arms so I am sure my stem will be too short for everyone here! ha.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.