velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I need some opinions on what old school steel frame would you use if you had some Shimano ax/600 components hanging around. I use a lot of Campagnolo stuff on my italian bike so I want to switch it up with a nice Japanese frame.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2012

Panasonic or Bridgestone

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012 edited

Besides those mentioned, the Holy Grail would be a 3Rensho AX with aero tubing.
    A bare frame sold last year for about 2,200. more than I wanted to put into a project and it to small to ever enjoy.

A Chesini X Uno would be a fun way to mix the cultures! it has the downtube shifters on top of the downtube, like the AX were intended to be used.

Shimano marketed an aero tube set to enable custom builders to create without limitations, there has to be some nice one offs sitting around somewhere.

I have an interesting French Camus branded form of this tubeset, with a 600AX build, it very cool, handles nice, and even an untrained eye notices there is something different about "that bike"

The most important thing is do you have the optional blue brake hoods, and the soft plastic headset cap?
    Don't have the brake levers yet. But the blue hoods are what I'm looking for. I saw the plastic cap on a Merz a couple months ago. Very cool.
    I had some with a 600 set, but they were toast, actual somewhere between burned honey and baby blue. The caps come up sparadically and are not unreasonable on an auction becuase most people don't know they ever existed, or they were treated like a spoke gaurd and tossed.
    I'll download the Camus later this week.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.