velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I'm trying to figure out a smart way to ship out a wheelset...I've been having trouble locating a box large enough to ship a set of wheels safely to the other side of california.
    Does anyone have experience with shipping out wheelsets? Someone suggested bubble wrapping the wheels and super duct taping it all together, but I'm not sure how safe that would be...
    Any suggestions? And please...no sarcastic/smart remarks, I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009

If there are any LBSes near you (and in Davis, there are six or seven, plus some clubs/advocacy orgs), they almost certainly have cartons designed specifically for shipping wheels, since that's how they receive the wheels in the first place. If you ask nice, they'll save one or two for you, since they're just going to bust them down for recycling anyway.

I find that buying little tidbits in my various LBSes encourages them to be generous with me when I make unusual requests.

I may possibly be up in Napa next Sunday to help out with the Tour de Cure ride. If you can wait a week, and you're willing to come down to Napa, PM me and let me know how many wheels you're shipping; I have 3 or 4 wheelboxes underfoot right now.
    • CommentAuthormuckymucky

do they fit inside XXXXXXL pizza boxes?
    Thanks for the helpful advice, eaglerock I'll look into it.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

LBS

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.