velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Im looking to buy a frame for my fixed gear build. Id prefer aluminum and a carbon fork if possible. The frame would have to fit an omnium crankset, and in 56cm size have minimal toe overlap. The toe overlap isn't a must, just a preference. If possible I'm trying to keep the total cost of the frame and forks under 800 if possible. Any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012

I believe that IRO has more lax geometry and iirc will have minimal toe overlap. but I don't know what the length of your cranks are.

but pretty much any frame will fit your omniums (except those reject Fuji Track Pros a while back).

seriously though, GOOGLE IT there are not only a ton of threads on this forum as well as other forums that answer your question already.

On track bikes, toe overlap happens. Shorter wheelbases and all.
    • CommentAuthorbroklahoma

You can post pictures trying to make fun of me for not liking toe overlap, which is a personal preference, however the real joke is that you are from oklahoma.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

seriously guys? there's no need for them fighting words. We're just making an explicit point that what you're looking for is contradictory to what you are looking for. You want one thing without the other, but both come as a pair, you can't separate them.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

He is clearly from SF, but dont hate on OK just because you are from the east coast.

Your question is kind of difficult to answer because toe overlap is based on a number of different things. Most track bike have it, but its not only based on the crank length. Any crank will fit your frame as long as you have the correct BB width (unless as shaku mentioned the chainstays wont allow large rings to clear) and the chainline is compatible with it. You could get a track frame with a road rake fork to give your toes more clearance, but if the fork has more rake than the frame was specified for, it might affect handling. I guess also if you used 165mm cranks instead of 175mm...

So the solution is that you get a single speed frame with road geometry. If you want an aluminum frame with a carbon fork, you could look for a used giant bowery on ebay or craigslist. The geometry is pretty much the same as their road bikes, and take a 43 or 45 mm rake fork, so replace the stock aluminum with carbon would be easy. I rode a bowery for 3 years and never had an issue with toe overlap.I have seen full bikes go foer 350, and frame and fork combos going for less than 200, many times with a carbon fork upgrade. I am sure other options exist in the alumnium category (stay away from real alumnium track bikes), but I think steel is more common.
    • CommentAuthorbroklahoma

I'm actually not from Oklahoma, but I bet they have some nice bike routes out there.

Back on topic, most of the popular alu track frames have quite short wheelbases, like Shaku said (Cinelli, Low). If you want a track frame that has a more relaxed geo, there are some pretty great steel options out there!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012 edited

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Giant-Bowery-84-Single-Speed-Fixed-Gear-Road-Bicycle-Size-Large-/271103107678?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1f01225e

You can pick that up, swap out the ugly parts, purchase a used 100 carbon track fork, and you are still way under budget. This was the more expensive (800 dollar) model of the bowery, and large is equivalent to a 56-57 (the effective top tube is long but it fits like a 56
    So, i am open to any and all suggestions. Youre comments have convinced me to stop worrying about toe overlap as it is just a small annoiance to me. My main comcerns are that my 175mm omnium crankset will fit. What steel frames do you recomend? I am however trying to avoid the steel pista fork look if possible. Thanks for all the help.

I had looked at steel earlier and i am very keen on getting an affinity lo pro in black but cant seem to find one anywhere
    Get a kilo TT!!

And upgrade the crap out of it (or get a used trek t1, and older aluminum track frame on cl)
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: ScacciaitusSo, i am open to any and all suggestions. Youre comments have convinced me to stop worrying about toe overlap as it is just a small annoiance to me. My main comcerns are that my 175mm omnium crankset will fit. What steel frames do you recomend? I am however trying to avoid the steel pista fork look if possible. Thanks for all the help.

I had looked at steel earlier and i am very keen on getting an affinity lo pro in black but cant seem to find one anywhere

you can order direct from affinity. But seriously though, regular tubed (non-aero tubed) bikes draw a lot less attention. So less likely to get stolen.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

And I believe these are just rebranded omniums on this T1 if that's proof enough for you:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/190756752274
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Never seen rebranded omnoms before.
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012

I have an 09 Fuji track pro with omniums. I never really considered the toe overlap bad but i also use 165mm cranks. With the stock fork it has a 35mm rake but i swapped it out for an orbea orca carbon road fork. I'm not sure what the rake is on that but it it gave my feet more room but it wasn't as noticeable as you may think. around here if you ask "what steel frame should i get?" you will almost always get the generic Kilo TT answer. It's best you research yourself.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

Yeah, that looks like s300 or rival maybe? It's got fluting on the spider arms which the omnom doesn't have.
    Posted By: broklahoma

Where can I get one of these prints?
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

Posted By: socal3rensho
    Posted By: broklahoma

Where can I get one of these prints?

http://www.fixedgearlondon.com/page2.htm
    you can order direct from affinity. But seriously though, regular tubed (non-aero tubed) bikes draw a lot less attention. So less likely to get stolen.

I contacted affinity, they said they're sold out until late january, though i haven't checked back in a month or so. Also which regular tubes do you recommend?

I hardly ever lock up my bike though, and never for more than a few hours
    It wasn't only the reject Fuji Track Pro's that had the problem. They designed the bottom bracket shell specifically for their stock FSA crankset. (which had some stupid q-factor) I have a legit Track Pro and I still ended up having the Omnium crank arm/chainstay clearence problem. A really expensive mistake I might add. >>>I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH<<< Be absolutely 1000000% sure of the following before getting a frame for Omniums.
    - BB shell length
    - Max crank arm length AND crank spider for chainstay clearence.

If at all possible go with a frame with a SMALLER bottom bracket shell that not so you can add maybe 2-3mm of spacer if required? If the shell is too big, or you've added too many spacers to aid in crank arm/spider clearance, you're screwed, and you'll either be shaving the bottom bracket to pieces with each turn of your crank or you'll have the noisiest chainline ever. (Not cool.)

If you havn't already, buy a set of Miche Advanced (they come in black too) or if you're really cashed up get Sugino Zen's or 75's.
    • CommentAuthorshort
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012

I have an IRO mark V pro with the newer s100 crankset in 170mm. It uses the same bb as the omniums, I have room to add 5 mm, so I'm pretty sure the omnium cranks will be fine (not 1000000% though). I really enjoy the frame, the seat angle is a little more slack than they say on their website, at least in the 60 I have, but the pro V fork keeps it lively enough to keep the bike lively and the bb drop is small enough to keep you from getting kicked out of velos, clipping pedals around turns, or clipping a curb (had all these problems with my old conversion bike). A good in between daily driver kind of bike, less twitchy than a track bike, more fun than a road bike. I'm a messenger and ride this setup all day. I would not recommend the lo pro, have you ridden one? I got to take one out when I was in Brooklyn this summer and wow is it tight, twitchy, and super fun, but also super uncomfortable without a really angled stem and some big riser bars which I think looks real goofy mixing a super agile pursuit track frame with goofy trick bars. That's just me though.

The old t1's with sram cranks were old rival cranksets with a track toothed ring i believe. It doesn't have 144 bcd either like the omniums.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.