velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorNikola
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012

Has anybody done a welding, brazing or gliung with epoxy a shimano freehub, to make it fixed? Which of these methods works the best?
    Posted By: Nikolaworks the best?

• CommentAuthorNikola

But the best way to get perfect chainline is with cassette hubs.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

If you have to use a non track hub which as benson said isn't ideal get a surly fixer which will convert it
    • CommentAuthorNikola
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2012

I know about the Surly Fixxer. It's a bit pricey for me. This is my cheap budget fixie. Also, I'm using an old triple mtb-style crankset with riveted chainrings, so there will be bigger chainline, an the same chainline can be used only with a cassette freehub.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: NikolaI know about the Surly Fixxer. It's a bit pricey for me. This is my cheap budget fixie. Also, I'm using an old triple mtb-style crankset with riveted chainrings, so there will be bigger chainline, an the same chainline can be used only with a cassette freehub.

Please do not do this. This is what is called a "suicide fixie". It is called that for a reason (similar to suicide levers or the viscount suicide fork). Especially if you are relying on the rear as one or both of your braking resources. A friend of mine was able to break the welds of a suicide fixie with just a couple of skids around a parking lot just to show the guy who owned the bike that it was a dumb idea to own such an unsafe ride. There are a few things that you can "just make work" but when it comes to your drivetrain, you really shouldn't be f***ing with it.
    • CommentAuthorNikola

something like this

or this

Also the great Sheldon Brown said that this is possible:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html
    and did that thing to one of his bikes: http://sheldonbrown.com/org//bass/index-one.html
    I have the same hub, but I can't find any JB Weld, so I probably will weld it or braze it. Suicide hub is threaded hub, a non-cassette type. I used to ride with a suicide hub, but with a lockring taken from an adjustable bottom bracket. But I was never skidding and had two brakes. I never had any problem. I think I was unable to skid probably because of the tires (26x1,95").
    • CommentAuthorNikola

And I was tightening the cog on the suicide hub using the Giovanni Penetella's method (rotafixa method) http://204.73.203.34/fisso/eng/schpignone.htm
    Just buy a rear mountain bike that has a disk brake mount, and replace it with a cog that can be attached on the disk brake mount?

That would be whole lot safer
    • CommentAuthorNikola

I'm out of money right now, this is my budget fixed gear bike. If it will ride nice I will buy a disc brake hub or a proper track hub.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

All I can say Is I hope you have brakes otherwise its just going to ride like a death trap.
    • CommentAuthorNikola

Yes, with brakes of course. Alse i was thinking about this setup http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/articles/panula/freehub/
    what do you gus think?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

There is no Gus here.
    • CommentAuthoriancambio

guys... jesus
    • CommentAuthorNikola
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012

So, what do you think?
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2012 edited

Posted By: NikolaI know about the Surly Fixxer. It's a bit pricey for me. This is my cheap budget fixie. Also, I'm using an old triple mtb-style crankset with riveted chainrings, so there will be bigger chainline, an the same chainline can be used only with a cassette freehub.
    So, what do you think?

Get a proper track crankset and a proper track hub. A budget bike isn't meant to be built haphazardly. Plan the build, save some money, and buy proper parts. If you have no source of income then do odd jobs or work for someone you know.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2012

If you could get all the oil and grease out I think brazing it would work well. You would have to dump quite a bit of brass in there. Welding it would work too, if the welding was good and went all the way around. In both cases you'd have to unbolt it from the aluminum hub.

I saw that bolted conversion on FGG and there was a thread about it in the forum. I'm sure it worked but it is dodgy as hell. The worst that could happen is that it freewheels. I wouldn't trust it in traffic without a front brake.

It should be easy enough to find a wheel that takes a screw-on freewheel and just slap a cog on it with a bb lockring. These days you can find a used fixed gear hub very cheap. Hell you can probably find a hipster tired of pedaling all the time and trade straight across.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012

Posted By: CheyTac
    So, what do you think?

Get a proper track crankset and a proper track hub. A budget bike isn't meant to be built haphazardly. Plan the build, save some money, and buy proper parts. If you have no source of income then do odd jobs or work for someone you know.

This. Suicide Hub are effing dumb. No reason to put your self in harm. Cause it will most likely fail on you. If you want a fixed so bad buy some cheap wheels n orign8 cranks. Ebay/ Craigslist
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2012 edited

http://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-120032-vuelta-pista-track-crankset-170mm-crankarms-black-46t.aspx?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMePzM_o37MCFSFyQgodnwkA3Q

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1&catalogId=10052&productId=517441&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-CSE-_-Datafeed-_-Vuelta%20Zerolite%20Track%20Wheelset%20Black&CAWELAID=1011800421

150 bucks for cranks and a wheelset. Cheapest i could find without searching ebay. Obviously not great quality but worlds better than a suicide hub. research parts. It wont even take long to make 150 bucks. a weeks work doing odd jobs and you'll have a safer alternative to riding fixed. after that you just need MAYBE another 50 for BB and Cog/lockring.
    • CommentAuthorNikola
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2012

I brazed the hub, now I have put the ball bearings, axle, cone, spacers and a sprocket.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.