velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009

does anyone have an opinion on the best and most comfortable cog/chainring ratio? i'm building my own and i just want to see what anyone thinks on what i should get for them. thanks!
    Phil Wood 17t and a Sugino Zen 49t.
    Yes. Because if you ran something like a dura ace 17 and a Campy 49 it would not feel near as good.
    • CommentAuthorf.iction

Well... I think a lot of pro's ride something like 53x13, and they've been riding their whole lives, so they probably know what they're doing. You should probably start there and adjust accordingly.
    • CommentAuthorShellac

Yeah, 53-13 would be really good for learning around town..

I'm a pussy and use 53-19.
    What is your riding experience? What are you going to be using the bike for? You didn't even really specify that it's a fixed gear.... but that's surely a safe bet.

And yes, everyone on here has an opinion.
    54-19! that's what I use and it serves my needs just fine. I've been able to get up to 35mph (downhill), but cruising at 12mph is really doable as well. also not too bad on hills either. it's a time trial chainring though, so I had to fork over $65 for it!

Basically
    A larger chainring is more efficient (don't have to deal with as much friction), which also means longer life. bigger chainrings are obviously heavier than smaller ones though, and more expensive. Just make sure it will fit on your bike before you buy one! esp if you have a conversion with wide chainstays.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009

honestly, don't listen to anyone around here. they're all from different parts of the country and are all riding at different levels.

talk to people around your area. they'll be able to help you out the most when it comes to picking a good gear ration to start out with.

and do not listen to this person:
    Posted By: f.ictionWell... I think a lot of pro's ride something like 53x13, and they've been riding their whole lives, so they probably know what they're doing. You should probably start there and adjust accordingly.

gear ratios all depend on your riding ability, your previous leg strength, and your location.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: the rabbianddo notlisten to this person:
    Posted By: f.ictionWell... I think a lot of pro's ride something like 53x13, and they've been riding their whole lives, so they probably know what they're doing. You should probably start there and adjust accordingly.

nah man. 53x13 is for wimps. go for the old fixed gear modification of a bmx cassette and rock 53x9 like you got a pair. up hill. in the wind.
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215

Posted By: ShellacYeah, 53-13 would be really good for learning around town..

I really hope you are kidding. If you are learning on that ratio please ride a brake. It will be impossible to stop if you are booking it on that ratio and aren't used to riding fixed.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: giosSR215
    Posted By: ShellacYeah, 53-13 would be really good for learning around town..

I really hope you are kidding. If you are learning on that ratio please ride a brake. It will be impossible to stop if you are booking it on that ratio and aren't used to riding fixed.
    even if you're used to riding fixed, that gear would be really hard to stop.
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215

Well that's what I'm saying haha. And that's why I said I really hope he is kidding.

I can't even stop that shit without fearing for my life and I rode 48 X 12 for the longest time when I first started and then realized the skid patches were horrible on that ration haha.

I would follow rabbi's advice and talk to some of the people around your town to find out what they are riding and what they were comfortable riding when they first started.
    NO ONE can tell someone else what gear to ride in. You are going to have to figure that out on your own. You need to find the ratio that gives you the most efficient cadence, and only you can figure that out.
    the best thing to do is start small and work up if you have no idea what to use start with a 45 up front and 17 or 18 in the back
    I started at 52 14 and it was immpossible to stop myself. Im at 48 17 now and it's the perfect gear. It all depends on you as a rider and where you live and what you use the bike for.
    • CommentAuthorAlM

lol what, 53x19 hard?

I ride 48x17, equivalent would be 51x18, 54x19, 45x15, 43x14

53x19 sounds just about the perfect ratio to me, just really big.
    50x18
    47x17
    44x16
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2009

Posted By: hardsole5280Yes. Because if you ran something like a dura ace 17 and a Campy 49 it would not feel near as good.

Seeing as how 17t Dura Ace cogs don't exist, it would probably feel pretty shitty.
    Someone is being anal....

He was noting the absurdity of naming a brand... but I'm sure you got that.
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009

Profile bmx cranks!
    run 38x13
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2009

depends on your topography for your usual riding area and your personal ability. the ratio i run where i live might be a tooth or two different up front if i lived on the other side of the city

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.