velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited

I am looking for effective and inexpensive foot coverings that will keep my feet warm and dry. I am currently using platform MTB pedals and walking boots. I have looked at many cycling specific covers but found nothing that would seem to fit over my boots and last. Most cycling booties are sized to fit cycling shoes, not boots, and I have size 13 feet. My boots are waterproof, but are too tight with two pair of wool socks.
    I am thinking of using some material like freezer bags, cut them to fit and secure them with electrical tape as needed.
    Anyone have any experience making something like or used something that would work?
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012

What are Gaiters?
    Thin produce bags over your socks inside you boot cuts the wind, but is only a short time solution. your feet won't breathe well but for a short commute its cheap and effective and you wont look homeless.
    Posted By: socal3renshoThin produce bags over your socks inside you boot cuts the wind, but is only a short time solution. your feet won't breathe well but for a short commute its cheap and effective and you wont look homeless.

Yep.
    Posted By: typeDvorakWhat are Gaiters?

I have a set Gaiters and they work well. However, they do little to protect my toes from cold.
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012 edited

There's also Sealskinz socks that a fellow cyclist told me about a while ago:
    http://www.sealskinz.com/socks
    • CommentAuthorMANNY E
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2012

I did a ski sock Chuck Taylor combo with these wind and water resistant Pearl Izumi shoe cover deals last winter here in Chicago (brutal temps). Worked well but very slippery off the bike. Those Sealskinz look dope.
    http://www.endura.co.uk/Dept.aspx?dept_id=107

I swear by the mountain and road overshoes.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012

Yeah, I've got a pair of booties for the road shoes that keeps wind out and wet road/splash from the front wheel and downtube/ from soaking my feet. They can only go for so log. The cinch at the top of the boot isn't skin tight and on heavy deluge days or longer bouts with the weather rain goes down my leg into the boot. My spd shoes aren't open at the bottom like me 3hole shoes so a nice pair of costco wool socks and the booties go a long way then.

I think your biggest drawback is not being able to wear adaquate socks in your boots mang. Does anybody know if socks don't have to be thick to contain heat? I saw a thin set of merino sock liners on one of those links but think that mean double bagging each foot. :/
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2012

I've tried a lot of things including sealskinz. I live in Seattle and commute year long, so water, wind, then cold are my concerns.

My current mode for winter would be clipless shoes, shoe covers, and 1-2 pairs of socks. If cold, a thinsulate or equivalent wool insulation layer with a regular sock over.

My commute is not monstrous, but I travel pretty comfortably that way. If it rains hard, yes my feet get a tiny went from leaks at the top of the shoe cover, undersplash, seams, blah. Worse case scenario, I bring extra socks.
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012 edited

Google image search "Lightweight Rain Day Motorcycle Bike Cycling Boot Foot Leg Cover".

I found some at a local motorcycle shop that are very close to the Showers Pass "Club shoe covers". They fit great over my boot, work the same only with a durable rubber bottom and were half the price!

Now for some rain pants...
    • CommentAuthorZovelo
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

+1 for Sealskins waterproof socks for when it's wet and cold. Endura MT500 overshoes are great value and properly waterproof, but if they are too small for your giant size 13 boots the motorcycle store is a great idea.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

I've been using these with the half shank that I ripped out of the sole of my short lived chrome shoes (they dont last long, and I dont even really abuse them :S). Got them for cheap from a store closing, and damn do they keep your feet dry! :D

http://store.tretorn.com/skymra--mid-sl-gtx-mens-and-womens-shoes-black/p/47236001/
    Posted By: ShakuI've been using these with the half shank that I ripped out of the sole of my short lived chrome shoes (they dont last long, and I dont even really abuse them :S). Got them for cheap from a store closing, and damn do they keep your feet dry! :D

http://store.tretorn.com/skymra--mid-sl-gtx-mens-and-womens-shoes-black/p/47236001/

Tretorn are decent shoes - I use a full footbed insert/support like superfeet with all sneaker like footwear.
    In regular boots too!

In any case Sugoi makes a great thick sock for cycling that fits PERFECTLY and is relatively thick (mid weight) and very warm.

But again, "it depends" do you need a waterproof boot, or to keep your feet dry with cycling shoes?

Neoprene keeps you warm when wet, and if you check out hunting/fishing/surplus shops,
    you might be able to find a good solution for less than you expect.
    ex: hunting socks < cycling socks in price

And some companies, like Soma and Bruce Gordon do offer toe clips for large boots.

Things to consider!
    Are you using a front fender? I'm sure you are, but if not, that goes a long way toward keeping water off your feet.
    Posted By: paulcpedersonAre you using a front fender? I'm sure you are, but if not, that goes a long way toward keeping water off your feet.

Yes, two full fenders with mudflaps.
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012

• CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012

The best way is the keep a spare pair of socks.

Also try to stop by local laundry mat to wash and/or dry your clothes ( which I did during my latter part of my messenger career).

S/F,
    CEYA!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.