velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2012

So, was hoping to get some of you bay area peoples' cycling and otherwise opinions. I am going to be going to San Francisco with my wife at the end of the month (she is attending a conference and I am an independent consultant, so I can go with her with no repercussions). I am going to be meeting up with her on halloween and staying through that sunday morning. In addition to the alcatraz, mission district, chinatown, etc. etc. plans, I was thinking of us renting bikes for the day one day (maybe that friday), crossing the golden gate bridge into golden gate park, and then if we have time, riding to Berkeley across that other gigantic bridge. We are staying in fishermans warf, and there is a bike rental place near by (Blazing saddles) that rents all kind of bikes, INCLUDING road bikes with modern components!!!!!

So, I know SF is more than just hilly, but staying where we are staying, is it reasonable to think we can ride to the park and back, or even Berkeley and back? Or am I talking crazy talk here? Also, is it cold in SF in late october or is it upper 50s and pleasant?

Other than that, just wanted your guys opinions of what I can and should do, including halloween ideas (I guess there is some pub crawl, but any other cool things happen?). I would love to rent a bike there with the wife, so if this is feasible given the terrain and climate, I would love your suggestions. I have never been to SF or the bay area, so treat me to your thoughts.

THANKS GUYS
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Come to Texas.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: veggieCome to Texas.

Tell APHA to have it there next year. I loved austin and beef jerky in texas in general. MAN was that good beef jerky. I stopped through there when I took a road trip from chicago to mexico in 2008. Stayed at the Quinta Inn on the highway that goes towards mexicanland, and went out to some rooftop bar on that main strip. I guess people are throwing bleach balloons at minority students there though. NO GOOD MY FREN
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Mancha150I guess people are throwing bleach balloons at minority students there though.

In Austin? I can see that happening in Texas, a lot of Texas is po-donk hickville.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

I know the Bay Bridge has been undergoing an expansion, but as far as I know, you can't ride across it. You can throw your bike on BART and roll around once you get off though. Which I recommend wholeheartedly. If you feel like doing some climbing, go up the Berkeley Hills to Tilden Park. Nice place for a picnic, on a clear day you can see the GG Bridge.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: stalag13I know the Bay Bridge has been undergoing an expansion, but as far as I know, you can't ride across it. You can throw your bike on BART and roll around once you get off though. Which I recommend wholeheartedly. If you feel like doing some climbing, go up the Berkeley Hills to Tilden Park. Nice place for a picnic, on a clear day you can see the GG Bridge.

That sounds like a great plan. Though I am already having a hard tme convincing the wife to rent bikes knowing about the hills. But its good to know the BART allows bikes (sorry for my ignorance in thinking I could cross that massive bridge on a bike).

Is Berkeley worth visiting? I am thinking of applying there in a few years, so just to see the school would be nice, but other than the campus, what else is up there?
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

Berkeley is totally worth visiting, especially if your considering going to school there. If you're going to be there, you may as well ride down to Oakland (which is pretty much connected to Berkeley). It's been a dozen years since I lived in the Bay Area, so my knowledge of what's going on there now is probably irrelevant. But the East Bay is the East Bay. If you're into punk/hardcore, Gilman St. is still around, and 1234 Go is a great record store. Zachary's Pizza has the best Chicago style pizza I've ever had, and I lived in Chicago for 4 years. Lake Merritt is pretty if you ride down to Oakland. There's a lot in Berkeley and the areas around it.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Awesome, thanks. Sounds like a plan to visit Berkeley then!
    • CommentAuthoriCxLegion

Come down to San Jose!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

ZACHARY's!!!! Must have. I miss it so much. Berkeley is awesome check out amoeba records while you're there it's pretty incredible. And check out telegraph ave too.
    I've lived in SF for over 10 years...

You cannot ride across the Bay Bridge. But, you can take the BART (train) from one side to the other with your bike. There are A LOT of routes to ride if you're looking for road rides. As for GG Bridge, you can ride that any day of the week and in the evening—there's actually a buzzer you have to push to get past a fence, it part of their suicide watch to monitor the night-time visitors on the bridge.

You mention crossing GG Bridge to get to GG Park—are you staying somewhere in Marin County? There's a lot of beautiful riding to be had out there—that where you go to get some real riding in.

What are you looking for, I can fill you in on routes. Also, I recommend rent from Sports Basement (http://community.sportsbasement.com/rentals/bike/) over Blazing Saddles—although I see on their site that they've upgraded their fleet since last I checked, I've never seen those particular bikes out anywhere in the city aside from the cruiser types.

Weather-wise, it will probably be mild (lows in the mid-50s to highs in low 70s) that time of year with very little chance of rain. Usually we get INdian Summers and once in a while those extend into late October. Always bring a jacket with you since when the sun goes down the temps change drastically and quickly.

There's a lot more I'm sure I can fill you in on. Let me know if there's anything in particular you're looking for. : )
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2012

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I think San Jose might be a little too far...we are only there for a few days and wont have much in the way of getting around besides public transport. I will definitely go to Amoeba records to purchase none other than the new GY!BE CD!!!!!

MW - very gratefuly for your insight, especially on the bikes. I guess I should say only one day are we actually thinking of renting/riding bikes (my wife is not as enthusiastic as I am, so getting a whole day is pretty nice). Going to GG park was just an idea since we wanted to cross the GG bridge. We are not actually staying anywhere other than fishermans warf, so if we rode across the GG bridge and into the park, it would just be for a few hours. Same goes for Berkeley if we get on the BART to cross the bay. Thanks for the headsup on Sports Basement -they are 20 dollars per day cheaper and have CANNONDALES for rent! Anyway, I should also clarify that unless some of the more scenic rides up towards Marin county are short and easy, I might have to pass up on that opportunity just because of time constraints and the fact we are only going to have bikes for a day. Maybe we should plan a whole day riding towards Marin county than just take public transport and walk around Berkeley on another day?

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming! Once I have a better idea of our daly itinerary, I will fill you guys in. We are all about walking around and getting to know places of interest, so if there is anything we should definitely see, let me know.
    New city = street/restaurant food, local beer, region-specific art collections. We always have most of our budget for these things.
    • CommentAuthorokayplus
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2012

It sounds like you might be under the misapprehension the golden gate bridge and golden gate park are related other than being in the same city. You can get to the bridge easily from where you'll be staying, the only large hill is at fort mason and that can be skirted quickly if your wife doesn't want to climb it. Once your at the bridge you could cross over to Marin, or you could bike up through the Presidio (which is beautiful as well) then down through point lobo, along ocean beach and eventually to golden gate park. If you bike back though the park you can head back central part of of the city via a safe and well travel bike route called "the wiggle", once you hit market st you can follow that all the way down to embarcadero which will take you back around to fisherman's wharf. along the way you could branch off into a number of fun and interesting neighborhood (haight, castro, mission, etc...).

As far as dinning and night life I'd stay well away from fisherman's wharf area, I personally like the hemlock, the ha ra, the tempest, the thieves tavern, el rio and if the weather's good the zeitgeist. on Halloween the party is always in the castro. Berkeley is cool and if you thinking about applying you should totally check it out, it's kinda over run with entitled undergrads but it's college town so what can you do. Some good restaurants in Berkeley but if you're in the east bay you might also check out the uptown area of Oakland.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Thanks okayplus, especially on the bike routes. Will definitely keep that in mind. So you are saying dining in fishermans warf in general is no good? It doesnt look like it has too much great stuff. I will definitely look into going to the castro for halloween and those other places.
    • CommentAuthorokayplus

Yeah, Fisherman's Wharf is full of tourist traps, North Beach is slightly better, but gets filled to the brim with club-going douche bags on the weekends.
    I could list a gigantic list of restaurants you and the wife could check out—from fancy to locals-only.

Please stay away from Fisherman's Wharf—but check out the Ferry Building—lots of locally sourced (albeit, $$$$$) foodstuffs.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: MustangWolfI could list a gigantic list of restaurants you and the wife could check out—from fancy to locals-only.

Please stay away from Fisherman's Wharf—but check out the Ferry Building—lots of locally sourced (albeit, $$$$$) foodstuffs.

A list of non fancy would be good. I am in the process of buying a new computer so I doubt we are going to want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on food when we are there. Lots of food trucks, right?
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2012 edited

The best sandwhich shop in SF is the Bohemian Cigar Store. It's in North Beach, you could walk to it from the Wharf.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/marios-bohemian-cigar-store-cafe-san-francisco
    The meatball focaccia and the sausage focaccia are sandwiches you kill for. Wars have been started over how good their sandwiches are.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: stalag13The best sandwhich shop in SF is the Bohemian Cigar Store. It's in North Beach, you could walk to it from the Wharf.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/marios-bohemian-cigar-store-cafe-san-francisco
    The meatball focaccia and the sausage focaccia are sandwiches you kill for. Wars have been started over how good their sandwiches are.

Nice. Without any of you making inappropriate comments, I die for sausage. I grew up fighting with myself everyday over whether I wanted polish, bratwurst, or EYEtalian. And now, I have none...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.