velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrobotnick
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2012

hey i wanted to get your input on these shoes are they worth 100 i have a fixed gear bike and i was wondering if these were good or are there better shoes i can get for the same price?thanks :)
    if you have wide feet, then they are worth the price.

try to look at mavic avenir or shimano r087
    They are worth it but since they have ONLY velcro for a "lacing" system, I just don't think they are going to feel tight the whole day. I feel like they might loosen up have a few skids. Another thing to think about is if you are on and off the bike throughout the day. With city riding, I wear MTB shoes because they are more comfortable to walk around in, since I'm on and off the bike through the day.

Just some thoughts....
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Velcro is definitely a no go. I bought my first pair of clipless shoes, and they were velcro only, and even with my little experience with clipless shoes, the loosening was quite noticeable and very annoying. I never went on too long of rides with them, but im sure after riding with some loose shoes for a while, they would give you some blisters in unwanted places from all the rubbing.

My friends all use those shoes that have a ratchet system. But don't get the Northwave ratchet system, it was very annoying to use, and while I was trying them on at the shop, they jammed up and I had a shoe stuck on my foot for about 20 minutes while about 3 sales associates tried to get me out of it. very awkward. Sidi's do make some fantastic ratchet systems as does Shimano.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

My northwave MTB shoes are velcro only, I have no problems, although I don't skid.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: veggieMy northwave MTB shoes are velcro only, I have no problems, although I don't skid.

I didnt skid, but even with just resisting the motion of the wheel by pulling up or just simply pulling up when pedaling it loosened up
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I didn't have any problems on my track bike, but I haven't used mtb pedals on it for like a year
    I've run lace only, velcro only and combo, if its a good quality model it will be fine.
    Velcro only is the best, most adjustable.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2012

Boa ftw!
    Boa is pretty rad. I was working at a snow shop when it showed up on new boots. Everybody was droooooling.
    Velcrud...watch what happen after a season or two of using them.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012 edited

Posted By: MustangWolfVelcrud...watch what happen after a season or two of using them.

This is my second biggest problem with Velcro. The Velcro straps on my Dominators are starting to give up; I often have to crane down while I'm riding to refasten them. I've more or less retired my old Shimanos for that reason; at least I can replace the Sidi straps.

My biggest issue with Velcro is the all-or-nothing nature of the attachment. When it's new, it sticks so hard you have to fight to separate it; when it ages, it'll look attached and then fail as soon as you stress it.
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012 edited

Velro isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be. I have a pair of Shimano R077's that tighten and stay tight just like when I got them a year ago. Most of my riding in them was on a fixed gear and I never noticed them loosen while riding.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012

∧ That's fine, but check back in a couple of years. Nice shoes cost a lot; it's not crazy to want them to last a while.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2012

I have a pair of northwave mtb shoes that my dad raced in in the mid 90s an the velcro is just as good as my 2 yeqr old pair

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.