velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrobotnick
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

hi i wanted to buy some new shoes to ride with my fixed gear bike i dont go to fast when i'm riding roughly between 20-25 mph but i'm tired of using cages and i want to buy some shoes what type of shoes should i buy i dont want to buy anything too expensive looking between 100-150 and also some new clipless pedals to go along with my shoes thank you :)
    Sidi's on Fleabay and a set of used LOOK pedals shouldn't set you back more than $100. Find something with a carbon sole.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

If you live in a place with an active CL > Bikes I would trowel through that. Roadies get rid of their race shoes around this time.
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012 edited

First, I would try on some shoes from different manufacturers as like walking shoes—they all differ in shape and relative sizing. Then go look around eBay and craigslist.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Find a LBS with last years shoes on sale.
    get pedals on the bay/craigslist if you are low on money
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

shimano 105's are under 60 brand new. Good set of pedals right there.

just try on shoes. you want them to fit correctly or at least know your sizes before you buy.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Ummm 105s new go for around 110...
    Posted By: HaeganUmmm 105s new go for around 110...

not really, nashbar has them for $55
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012

Posted By: NightStalker

i meant to put that. i got mine from nashbar
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012 edited

105s are such a bad idea on a track bike (speaking from experience riding them for 2 years on street and track). The tension on those things is ridiculously low.

Recently, I tried on an old pair on my crap track bike for a ride around town and I popped out just back-pedaling and after making sure it was as tight as it could go. Like any point of contact on a bike get something that's actually worth the money. Invest in Ultegra's if you want to go the Shimano route as the tension is a lot higher than compared to the 105s.
    I bought my Time Atacs for 25 bucks and my old Sidi Dominators were 30. Throw in 20 bucks for cleats and that's 75 bucks for a great setup.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Posted By: MustangWolf105s are such a bad idea on a track bike (speaking from experience riding them for 2 years on street and track). The tension on those things is ridiculously low.

Recently, I tried on an old pair on my crap track bike for a ride around town and I popped out just back-pedaling and after making sure it was as tight as it could go. Like any point of contact on a bike get something that's actually worth the money. Invest in Ultegra's if you want to go the Shimano route as the tension is a lot higher than compared to the 105s.

Must be your pedals.... I have 105 on tracks bikes for the Velo and the street.... after years never had a single problem.. if not your pedal. your cleat.
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

Posted By: MustangWolf105s are such a bad idea on a track bike (speaking from experience riding them for 2 years on street and track). The tension on those things is ridiculously low.

never had any problems with mine and i have have my tension set up low.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

I've heard many, many people suggest Time ATACs (the mountain bike pedals, apparently i've been told their road pedals suck). Also, pretty much every courier rides them here in Toronto as well if that's proof to you how good they are (if you really count that as a gauge)
    Posted By: ShakuI've heard many, many people suggest Time ATACs (the mountain bike pedals, apparently i've been told their road pedals suck). Also, pretty much every courier rides them here in Toronto as well if that's proof to you how good they are (if you really count that as a gauge)

The problem with using Mt bike pedals is that you cannot adjust float/tension/placement. Great if you're on and off the bike all day or shifting body positions constantly (off road), but shitty on distance rides.
    Posted By: FeFst

Must be your pedals.... I have 105 on tracks bikes for the Velo and the street.... after years never had a single problem.. if not your pedal. your cleat.

Nope, read my post—"compared to Ultegras the tension is much lower". That's great that they worked for you guys. The response takes into account that the OP is new to using clipless pedals, and that like many riders new to using them will have them pop out frequently.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Fuckin nashbar. Tryin to kill lbs's
    Posted By: Haegan

Fuckin nashbar. Tryin to kill lbs's

i think performancebikes is doing the same thing also
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

Time Atacs are great. Sidi Dominators are great. But Dominators will set you back a ton of coin, unless a you poach a used pair on CL.
    • CommentAuthorsteve1436

Has anyone else looked at the Black/Gum Giro Privateer?
    They are MTB shoes, my first pair for riding the fixed gear and road bike.
    http://www.giro.com/us_en/privateertm.html
    I'm usually doing errands or going for ~25 mile rides.
    They are pretty good and you can get a cheap deal on eBay.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.