velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I had to grind down the rubber padding on my current (front)brake to fit around my fat Resist Nomad tires. I recently purchased some Schwalbe Durangos because the nomads are still rubbing against the brake pads and now they are starting to strip. I was wondering if any of you have good suggestions as to what brake would fit around the durangos on my steamroller frame. I live in a downtown area with a lot of cobblestone so that is why I need fat tires if you were wondering. Thanks!

Specs:
    Frame: Surly Steamroller 2012
    Wheels: Velocity deep V
    Tires: Schwalbe Durango K 700 X 25c
    Handlebar: Nitto Mustache(if it applies)
    Posted By: bobofuncloudI had to grind down the rubber padding on my current (front)brake to fit around my fat Resist Nomad tires.

You know you can deflate the tire, right?

And how are the tires rubbing against the pads? That doesn't make sense to me. Pictures would be helpful. And what's the front brake you're running?

Edit: I mean deflate the tire to fit it between the pads, then inflate it when the wheels in.
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookie
    Posted By: bobofuncloudI had to grind down the rubber padding on my current (front)brake to fit around my fat Resist Nomad tires.

You know you can deflate the tire, right?

And how are the tires rubbing against the pads? That doesn't make sense to me. Pictures would be helpful. And what's the front brake you're running?

Edit: I mean deflate the tire to fit it between the pads, then inflate it when the wheel's in.

That would be too easy of a solution—this HAS to be more complex. ; )
    I have a Surly Steamroller and you need to find a longer reach caliper. I'm using the Tektro R538 brake caliper. The surly steamroller is known for having a high clearance between tire and fork. with a normal reach caliper you'll find that the pad rubs against the tire where it meets the rim. The Tektro R538 will solve your problem if I'm understanding you correctly.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2012

Yup that's what I'm using.
    i use a tetro r 365 and it clears nomads in 35 plus fender no problem.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

Should have wet-sanded the tire.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.