velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorLouieH2OGO
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012

I'm sure there's more then a few of these threads and everyone has always given some great input so I hope you guys can help me out too.

I'm looking for either a great complete or possibly a custom built fixie I can go off of. This isn't my first fixie and probably won't be my last either. I'm 5'6" with about a 28" in-seam. I ride 15+ miles daily to get to work and just get around in general. I love timing myself so I want something fast. I don't do tricks or care about having a "flashy" bike. I want performance.

My budget is $800-850 but of course if there's a good deal I don't mind paying less haha. Any input is welcome. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012

Ugh, fixie.

Get a kilo tt and upgrade the saddle bars and cranks. Or buy just the frameset and build it up yourself.
    check your CL, youll probably fine FTP, felt tk2 or 3, trek t1, etc.

if not, you can check bikesdirect and get a kilo tt and upgrade it!
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012 edited

Posted By: veggieUgh, fixie.

Get a kilo tt and upgrade the saddle bars and cranks. Or buy just the frameset and build it up yourself.

That is exactly what I told my roommate to do.

Fixie, the F word.
    To me, fixie is an 80s or 90s steel frame with horizontal dropouts and cable stops that has been stripped down and made into a singlespeed fixed gear. So, when someone calls a track bike, a fixie, it just doesn't seem right to me. Am I way off on this?
    Fixed gear*
    fixie=fixed gear=any track bike ridden on the street...a bike ridden on the track is a track bike lol
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012

Posted By: LouieH2OGO I love timing myself so I want something fast.

you mean you want a bike with the potential to be fast? which in turn means aero and lightweight? just search for frames/bikes that fit that criteria. personally i think it's better to have frames in mind before coming to someone for help. that way, Instead of someone else suggesting a bike you don't want you can already have an idea and we can give just some insight on the frames.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2012

caad 10. you don't know it yet, but it's what you'll want.
    I know the definition of a track bike. I own many myself. But I ride them on the street. Does that make them NOT track bikes? I also ride them in the 'drome. They are the same bike, whether on the street or the drome. I was just pointing out that I always imagine a "fixie" as a steel road frame that has been stripped down and converted to fixed. As in, the word "fixie" conjured up a very specific style to me, just as an FGFS bike has a different style than a track bike, although they are both fixed.
    >2012
    >caring about the term fixie

dudes, really
    Posted By: Haegancaad 10. you don't know it yet, but it's what you'll want.

It's what I want.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.