velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012

is this possible or ok? I've heard of tensioning by sound, but dunno if I'd be skilled enough to do that. As I am in the middle of no where, there are no bike kitchens or DIY places which would have tools to use.

the cost it seems to get a wheel built (for one wheel) is 50 bucks + spokes.

Is it worth forgoing this cost by building it myself without any sort of tensioning tools? or would the possibility of being under tensioned not be worth forgoing that cost?

Truing stand can be improvised with zip ties and the frame. But the tension I'm worried about.
    depends on the quality wheel your willing to take a chance on, improperly tensioned wheels can go from rolling along, to pile of crap in no time. With the result being an un-rebuildable hoop.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Posted By: socal3renshodepends on the quality wheel your willing to take a chance on, improperly tensioned wheels can go from rolling along, to pile of crap in no time. With the result being an un-rebuildable hoop.

sigh. . . its a mavic track hub to Open 4 Cd's

prolly not worth the risk . . .
    Build that shit! There's decent amount of range for "good" tension. You might end up on the low or high side, but comparing spoke tension to a reputable wheel (or two) will get you there. Listen and feel.
    The frequency for good tension will vary with spoke length and gauge (thickness). http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/tension.htm#pitchtable Sorta like tuning a guitar. If you're not confident after truing, take them in to the shop to check the tension. BTW, I rarely use my old Wheesmith tensionmeter- handy tool to have around, but once you acclimate to listening to the spokes it's time consuming and mechanistic.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Hmm, didnt think about that, checking tension at a shop before riding, Duh . . . shoulda thought of that.

i guess I can build it at home after all! :)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I have honestly never used a tensionmeter.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

When I laced up my tb-14s all I had was a nipple tool, I did take my sweet time building it though. Took them to a shop a few days after I felt I was done with it, checked out ok.
    A tensiometer helps if you want to be super anal about building a wheel, but they are really meant to aid with balancing relative tension amongst adjacent spokes. It is arrogant to dismiss the value of a tensiometer, but on the flip side of the coin they are absolutely not necessary to build a quality wheel that will last a long time.

I use tone as a measure of relative tension in initial stages of a build, and a tensiometer to finish, though most of the time can gauge absolute tension by feel, a skill that I learned by building lots of wheels over a long period of time.

Shaku, unless you wind your tension up so high that you taco your wheel (beyond the maximum strength of the spokes and rim), you have little to lose by building your wheels at home, as long as you get them checked out by a wheelbuilder of high regard before going to beat the streets on them. Practice using tone to even out your tension, and remember it goes lateral, radial, tensioned, dished, in that order.
    Posted By: veggieI have honestly never used a tensionmeter.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012

Thankfully I've built one set before, and trued and tensioned many other wheels, sooo hopefully what little experience I have will help.

I think my brother still has a little tuning thingy that he used when he started to play guitar (and then gave up within the first week)

I'm pretty sure I know what is too high a tension. I'm not one to crank down on my spokes, I usually barely do 1/4 turns at a time (which ends up with an amazingly true wheel, but a f***load of time)

Thanks you guys for the tips! :) I'll give it a shot and be sure to have it checked by a shop before i ride them.
    I would recommend that you have a go at it...set aside a week or two for your first wheel and work on it perhaps an hour at a time. bit here and a bit there.
    The park tool tensiometer is a good investment if you think you will be building more wheels in the future.
    Once you know what 50kgf, 80kgf, 100kgf, 120kgf etc etc feels like, you probably wont pick up the tensiometer that often.
    Perhaps start with a front wheel...and lube your spoke threads and nipple shoulders/seats well.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Oh, I already know how to lace the wheel, that's easy, but the tension is just where I'm worried. Like i said, prolly will just borrow my brothers tuner and give it a shot
    Posted By: veggie
    I have honestly never used a tensionmeter.

I judge spoke tension by hand feel comparing to other hand-built wheels. If you're too low, might start to work loose while you ride; too high and the nipple will begin to get mangled and strip. I did have one wheel start to come loose early on in my wheelbuilding "career" but it was no big deal and I was able to re-true it at higher tension when I got home.

On radial builds you can pluck the spokes like guitar strings, but DON'T try to "tune it" 100%. Just get them all in the neighborhood. A well-built wheel will always have some tension differences due to stress variation in the rim from curve-rolling out of the extruder.

If you're dropping money, get a real wheelbuilding stand first. Park TS2. You'll use it for life. I see them pretty often used on CL.
    I've always liked the "Harp" method. Imagine someone playing a harp, squeeze pairs of spokes on the same side of the wheel, alternating DS and NDS as you rotate the wheel, you will immediately feel if any sets are significantly loose or tight, but this comes with experience. And the original premis was "but dunno if I'd be skilled enough to do that"
    Agreed that with patience the wheels could be properly laced, and pretty good tension could be achieved by tightening uniformly and methodically tightening the nipples.
    Go for it, but have it checked, the satisfaction is well worth the effort.
    I haven't done that much wheel building but I use the sound of the spokes as a guide and it works quite well. I also use an old frame or a fork in a vise as a truing stand. Unless you just want to be able to say "I built this wheel" then I'd let the folks who know build your wheels. The only reason I mess with it is because I've got parts and I just want to do it myself. Wheel building is also one of those tasks that gets much easier after a few wheels so why not start learning, I just wouldn't practice on some hi dollar stuff.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Well, I'd say the much truing experience should help. My first wheelbuild was a CXP33 to Dura ace 7710 LF hubs. Well, I feel confident enough I'm not too noob that I'll destroy them :)
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012

It's not a black art.

There are a few tricks to doing it right.

Use some sort of a guide for wheel lacing, either a book or an internet website.

The most important is lubricating the nipples, both the threaded part and where they seat into the rim.

When you lace the wheel screw on the nipples so that one thread is showing. Always start at the valve stem hole (so you know where you started and where to end) and tighten the spokes gradually, same amount for each spoke. This will give you uniform tension and give the wheel roundness.

When the wheel get tension on it and you are done truing and getting it round (no up and down) make your tension adjustments 1/4 turn per spoke at a time. This will keep you from getting halfway around the wheel and having it be too tight already and now egg-shaped.

You can judge tension off an existing wheel, but many factory wheels are way too tight. If you have a buddy at a shop take your built wheel to them and have them check it with a tensiometer. Ask them how to use it, and what the number values are all about and to see the Park chart that the numbers come from. Front wheels have lower tension, and rear wheels with multispeed freewheels or cassettes will have more tension on the drive side.
    If the wheel doesn't have enough tension the spokes will make noise when riding and it they have too much tension you will start stripping the nipples while turning them. As long as you are limited to the less professional approach just tighten till you have a nice "Pong" sound and you'll be fine. I think the most important part is having, for the most part, all the spokes the same tension. Don't forget to stress the spokes, ride around the block and retrue.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.