velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hi y'all,

I'm in the market to replace the Reynolds Solitude wheelset (clinchers) on my BMC, and I was hoping to enlist your help. The limit I'm setting is $700, but I'm looking above (these wheels will hopefully go on my carbon steed next year). So far I was looking at the Mavic Ksyrium Elite, the Zipp 101's, Dura Ace C24, or something laced to Open Pros. They should be black (hubs, spokes, rims) and clinchers. Spend my monay!
    Macks to A23's with cx ray spokes...nuff said.
    And that will be sub $700?
    The Zipp 101's look interesting, and there's a pair on eBay for 900 right now.
    Not sure how durable those will be for NYC, though people use them in CX.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

Go hand built. I love my 105 to aeroheads with dt comp spokes. Easily sub 700
    • CommentAuthorNiflhel

If you make it $800-ish you could get open pros laced to Chris king road hubs. Im debating whether or not to build up a set for myself. Pricey but they're just so damn sweet...
    • CommentAuthorTracker

• CommentAuthorTracker

But then agian...
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Oh nice macks website is back up!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Posted By: TrackerOh nice macks website is back up!

drooling.. next wheelbuild i do.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I wonder how they sound...
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I'm loving the ck hubs on my tandem
    I was just mesmerized by that R45 video for a good minute...

I say CK hubs to open pro's with sapim x-ray's....not sure on price but it sounds sexy :)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Passing joggers while coasting is always fun.

I had a wasp poop on my arm this afternoon and thought it was the wasp, I kept waving my arms around. They guy going the opposite way was dieing.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

I hate wasps, bees and yellow jackets. Oh but there is a funny story involving yellowjackets while having an airsoft war with my friends.
    • CommentAuthorFit4Life
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

Shimano Ultegra at $400, and keep the change. Aluminum braking surface is much safer than carbon, especially in wet conditions. In the first week of the 2011 Tour de France, there were major crashes every day. It also rained every day. Riders were reporting they squeezed the brake levers as hard as they could, but there was no stopping power. All of the sudden the brakes would lock up, crashing bikes.
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

Stans rims. If you have to be set on solitudes tho pm me. One of the guys in sales at my shop wants to sell his cheap.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited

Posted By: M1K3YStans rims.

Elaborate please. I just don't get what's so great about stans rims. The claimed weight isn't that much lower than other rims. Could also be that I am not convinced about tubeless
    For road, I don't see the point. You might as well just go tubular. For mountain though, It's said to help prevent pinch flats. A guy who works at my lbs rides them on his mountain bike and he loves them, but he still uses tubular for racing on his road bike.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.