velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

take out the tags
    thanks veggie
    • CommentAuthorveggie

The first part of that article is funny.

“Velodrome” is not exactly a word that’s big on the streets of Brooklyn,
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Why would they screw themselves over like that? Building a 200m track is just stupid and pointless. You can't have any real events on a 200 (ie worlds Nats ect.) 250 is regulation, so why not do it right?
    Posted By: HaeganWhy would they screw themselves over like that? Building a 200m track is just stupid and pointless. You can't have any real events on a 200 (ie worlds Nats ect.) 250 is regulation, so why not do it right?

this is true, hopefully the article was not accurate on that detail. It's gonna take 4 years to construct so hopefully one of the planners will realize this.
    Ya hopefully they do it right so we have two olympic sized tracks in the USA (ADT Velodrome & Brooklyn). Our country is way behind...
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012 edited

Colorado is Olympic size its 333.3m, as it was built for the Olympics.

I have seen that one, it was the one 7 Eleven built.

We are not way behind we have more velodromes thaan most countries.

NYC once had more than the whole country.

We need to build a grassroot system to produce more young people to get into racing.

Reminds me of wrestling we had a lot once but very few doing it, Now with MMA it has made a big come back at the grassrooot side.

The more people race, the more word spreads.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012

The standard has changed. Olympic size is now 250. We don't have nearly the level of velodromes other countries have. Most of ours are no good.
    The giordana velodrome in rock hill south Carolina is pretty sweet I just went and did the advanced class And I got to watch bobby lea do his training regents prior to leaving for London.
    • CommentAuthorCeya

Posted By: HaeganThe standard has changed. Olympic size is now 250. We don't have nearly the level of velodromes other countries have. Most of ours are no good.

I don't agree, with alot of new tracks being built the only different is that since the Russians built that wonderful indoor track in the late 80s , indoor track has been top choice.

The Colorado track (7 Eleven) was mention due to its over 250m.

200m is good to ride. Vanderdrome track is like that with 45 dgree banking.

They are trying to get a track in the Bronx also 250m indoor track.

Between Vanderdrome and Dale Hughes Velodromes , we can build wooden tracks that are portable.

166m to 250 m.
    S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

But those can't compete with the likes of Manchester city the new London track, Mexico city, beijing and other world class tracks. They've (USAC) also pulled all the money out of our long track program so even if we did have the faculties we don't have any money to develop top level athletes to be able to compete with powerhouses like Great britan
    But you won't get Nationals events, which are the biggest revenue streams, with a 200m.
    • CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2012

Posted By: ColumbusSLXBut you won't get Nationals events, which are the biggest revenue streams, with a 200m.

Making the track a 200m vs. 250m has obviously been a huge discussion with everyone involved with the new velodrome. Everyone is fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of making the track 200 vs 250. In NYC, lot size, building costs, heat and maintenance are major factors. The site chosen simply can't accommodate a 250m velodrome. Jack Simes from T-town Velodrome stated that a 200m will allow for more interesting competition without the exponentially higher increase in cost going to 250m. Also, he stated that nearly all major track events in the USA that would require a 250m track, end up netting a loss in income anyway.

At the end of the day... it's the track PROGRAM, cycling community and how it's run that will make it successful... not the size.
    • CommentAuthorCeya
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2012

Posted By: HaeganBut those can't compete with the likes of Manchester city the new London track, Mexico city, beijing and other world class tracks. They've (USAC) also pulled all the money out of our long track program so even if we did have the faculties we don't have any money to develop top level athletes to be able to compete with powerhouses like Great britan

These are regional tracks . Not high end World class track.

We just need to get people racing.

If we keep thinking high end we cannot get the lower end developed.

ADT is good to go. TTown also.

I still like Kissena because it has history with me and produced good riders on that bumpy velodrome.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    Posted By: 2011Making the track a 200m vs. 250m has obviously been a huge discussion with everyone involved with the new velodrome.

Yeeeeah, I didn't realize this was obvious since none of the coverage I've seen bothers to mention the issue.

I love it though, regardless of length. All we have is an retired go-cart track!
    • CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012

You NYC people should be fucking STOKED! A brand new, indoor, climate controlled, super fast velodrome! Granted a good program gets set in place... this means a place to train and race ALL YEAR LONG!!! Just picture... all those cold snowy winter days, getting to go race around on a indoor track. It's fucking amazing. I really hope it builds an even bigger track community there.

Personally... I think a 200m track would be a lot of fun. They can be VERY fast. I hope for the chance to race there once it's done.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012

wait so it would honestly cost that much more to make it 50m longer?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.