velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey all, looking for some tips/pointers for Chicago, I'm headed there in a week.
    I'm going to do the CMWC race and wondering how windy and flat is it actually?
    Also, where to get the best Polish/East Euro food, and espresso (coffee)?

Oh, and of couse there's a pilgrimmage to Yojimbo's.

Right now I'm off to yelp.com
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012

It's not windy in the summer, and it IS VERY flat.

Best Polish food is at Podhalanka. Tthere's tons of good coffee here. Look for a Metropolis or Intelligentsia beans.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

I haven't lived there for over a year now (but did for 8 years) and I totally agree with Bummer -- sooo flat,-and I say Metropolis if you are at Metropolis (Northside, 1 block east off Granville Red-line stop), but places that carry and prepare Intelligentsia seem to hold themselves to a higher bar (the branded Intelligentsia cafes prepare great coffee but they are a bit much in terms of attitude, then again some people like that...).

Don't know how old you are but if you like beer and want a good hearty meal, the Hopleaf in Andersonville is reason enough for me to move back to Chicago.

Have fun!
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

Going up the 13-16th or so to do some museum hopping and riding about town.
    • CommentAuthorBummer

I went to Museum of Science and Industry last weekend, it was pretty awesome. Pilsen's Mexican Art Museum is free and nice too. Also you gotta check out the Museum of Surgical Science, if Medieval torture devices interest you.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: BummerI went to Museum of Science and Industry last weekend, it was pretty awesome.

Did you go on the U-boat tour? I managed to keep my mold-it-yourself plastic U-boat in one piece through a cross-country road trip, only to bust it as I was unpacking the car.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Ride your bike along the lake shore drive path. Goes from Granville (If I remember correctly) to beyond soldier field. The best part is riding 5 miles per hour along the 3 mile stretch of sand and urban beaches. Be careful not to run any drunk teenagers over but I had a blast doing this last month.
    • CommentAuthorBummer

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: BummerI went to Museum of Science and Industry last weekend, it was pretty awesome.

Did you go on the U-boat tour? I managed to keep my mold-it-yourself plastic U-boat in one piece through a cross-country road trip, only to bust it as I was unpacking the car.

I went to the Mythbusters exhibit. DON'T DO THE MYTHBUSTERS exhibit. Also, keep an eye out for these machines at all our fine museums

• CommentAuthorBummer

Express grill is THE place to go for a sweet Maxwell Street polish sausage with fries for about $3. SRSLY avoid hot dougs, there's better things to spend an hour doing, also avoid Kuma's Korner(there's better things to spend 3 hours doing (The 3 hours is the wait for a table btw, you still gotta wait 45 minutes for service then a half hour for your burger)).
    DON'T DRINK THE WATER! Drink the beer.
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012

Posted By: knapprobertDON'T DRINK THE WATER! Drink the beer.

Revolution, Pipeworks, and Half Acre are all good. If you're coming from outside the midwest you really should try some 3 Floyds and Two Brothers too.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited

Posted By: Bummeryou gotta check out the Museum of Surgical Science

+1

It's been many years since I lived there. But there was an awesome Thai restaurant in the western edge of Lakeview on Belmont called the River Kwai. They were only open from 11pm-6am to dodge food inspectors. Sounds dicey I know, but even in the middle of winter people would line up hours ahead of time. It was that good. If it's still there, hit it up and tell Daiche I say hi. The Chicago Diner on Belmont & Halsted if you're vegan/vegetarian.
    • CommentAuthorCanadaSteep
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited

Not vegan or veggie. Intelligenstia beans I know - always a sign that they "try".
    I'll yelp that when I'm on the ground.

HUGE thanks for the tip on the Polish food and bier.
    Parents are from "over there" so.....
    Plus legend has it that my first words were sauerkraut UND bier.
    (^^Serious, how can I not share that?).

I'm there for the CMWC and am packing my Elwood shoes n shades for the prom event :)
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012

Posted By: CanadaSteepveggie
    hey canadasteep, are you going to bike around chicago?

if you are, please lock your bike with 2 Ulocks and a cable, cause in the past few days, theres about a good 20 bikes that has been stolen. theres a LOW bike that was recently stolen near my area..
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited

^ This is exactly what I was thinking about the CMWC thing going on and out-of-towners bringing their bling'nest steeds. Not every cyclist is of good manners and it doesn't even have to be a stolen bike, someone accidentally locks themselves through your frame, or walks off with your light/pump/waterbottles, pedal through your spokes not carefully taken out. All filed under things I don't want.
    Posted By: typeDvorak^ This is exactly what I was thinking about the CMWC thing going on and out-of-towners bringing their bling'nest steeds. Not every cyclist is of good manners and it doesn't even have to be a stolen bike, someone accidentally locks themselves through your frame, or walks off with your light/pump/waterbottles, pedal through your spokes not carefully taken out. All filed under things I don't want.

exactly, and if you really have to, take your saddle/seatpost with you too, even if the seatpost is carbon, its not worth losing it by getting it stolen. take any small detachable items with you (as typedvorak said)
    metropolis coffee, three floyds beer (esp. zombie dust if you can find it). RE lake path, just park your bike and walk it. it's okay to ride when it's 20deg out and no one is on it, otherwise i really hate it. kids, couples, parents, tourists pedaling 4-wheeled 1/2 ton contraptions they rented at the pier, segways, roadie clowns plowing through at 50 m.p.h., geese. fucking geese. Best polish I've ever had in my entire life over and over again happens to be at Jimmy's Woodlawn tap at 55th and woodlawn and I've had all the maxwell street dogs.
    oh, and it's flat as hell here. everywhere. biggest incline is the sledding hill next to soldier field.
    Posted By: fixed international RE lake path, just park your bike and walk it. it's okay to ride when it's 20deg out and no one is on it, otherwise i really hate it. kids, couples, parents, tourists pedaling 4-wheeled 1/2 ton contraptions they rented at the pier, segways, roadie clowns plowing through at 50 m.p.h., geese. fucking geese.

all of that is so damn true.. the geeses are no problem to me, yet people dont have the decency to wait for them..

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.