velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Posted By: fixed international geese. fucking geese.

HAHAHA.
    • CommentAuthorBummer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

Posted By: NightStalkerhey canadasteep, are you going to bike around chicago?

if you are, please lock your bike with 2 Ulocks and a cable, cause in the past few days, theres about a good 20 bikes that has been stolen. theres a LOW bike that was recently stolen near my area..

That low wasn't even locked up, so it's more like the guy gave it away.
    Posted By: Bummer
    Posted By: NightStalkerhey canadasteep, are you going to bike around chicago?

if you are, please lock your bike with 2 Ulocks and a cable, cause in the past few days, theres about a good 20 bikes that has been stolen. theres a LOW bike that was recently stolen near my area..

That low wasn't even locked up, so it's more like the guy gave it away.

true, but my dawes was stolen in my garage..
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012

My polish roommate suggested these buffet style places - Old Warsaw, Red Apple, Jolly Inn.

A coffee addict I know said this place was the best in Chicago for espresso.
    La Colombe
    955 West Randolph Street
    Buddy at the CMWC got a rear b43/foer/fixay deep wheel kidnapped. I'll just take the u-lock he said. It would be fine he said.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012

What time was it taken, broad daylight? on a busy street?
    No deets yet. He just arrived defeated and fell asleep in the single man tent in his room. I will fill in blanks later.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012

I am sorry to hear about your buddy!
    I used to be so paranoid living in Chicago about bike theft: I kept my bikes u-locked up inside my apartment (even though they had more sentimental value then $) since one of the most common stories I would hear was bikes being stolen out of storage spaces. You NEED a beater there, even if you are going to the cafe in the middle of the day. Not only do bikes get stolen in broad daylight, parts get stolen off of bikes! In my last few years there (2010-2011) when ever I took a nice bike out I would park it in clear view of which ever establishment I would be going to -- my lady would make fun of me cause she always knew where I wanted to sit even though our bikes were u-locked and cabled up to secure objects. It sounds crazy, but I have so many friends whose bikes, ranging from Giant TCRs to crappy beater bikes stolen right out from under them (even heard stories about people getting tackled on lake shore path and their bikes stolen). ...I had a decent USA-made Mongoose back when I first got to Chicago in 2002 and stupidly parked it at an El stop (inside the ticket gate) and came back the same night to find the heavy chain lock half cut, but the bike managed to survive -- four months later, locked up to a back porch in an enclosed yard for only two hours, someone had busted the wooden porch rails to steal the still locked up bike! So yes, fair warning to any and all in Chicago: lock up as best you can, be paranoid, or else. (Just go look at the online Chicago stolen bike registry -- it is disgusting how many and such a wide variety of bikes are reported just through that one website!) Chicago can be a great cycling city,-dont get me wrong--just be aware!
    • CommentAuthorWilburito

Lived and biked, in Chicago, for eight years. I bike everywhere. I work all over the city, and I lock my bike, with a single U-lock, everywhere from the northern neighborhoods to McCormick Place and UofC. I've never even had a knog stolen off of my bike. I wouldn't recommend the Lakeshore Trail, on a weekend, Lakeshore Drive is easier to navigate, but it's exciting during the week. Lot's of Eurotrash to dodge.
    • CommentAuthorBummer

I was like you Willburito, until one day I came out of class on UiC campus to find new bike stolen. I had it for less than a month and poof... gone, right on campus too.
    ^

HAHAHA
    • CommentAuthorBummer

Oh, that reminds me of when the Reader was worth reading.
    Posted By: Wilburitoon a weekend, Lakeshore Drive is easier to navigate, but it's exciting during the week. Lot's of Eurotrash to dodge.

and other people
    • CommentAuthorWilburito

Posted By: NightStalkertrue, but my dawes was stolen in my garage..

Maybe you should shut your garage door. I'm just saying.
    Or put it in your room. If I had a choice between a little less space in my bedroom or a chance of my bike getting stolen, I would choose the first one.
    Thanks for the all the advice and good vibes.

First off, Poldhalanka is the REAL DEAL. For those not in the know, there is a luncheonette counter and some tables - it looks like a hole in the wall, and the food
    is AUTHENTIC and amazing. The white borscht (barchst?) soup w/sausage was the one of the best things I've had, in ages.
    The counterman was very nice and set me up with cabbage rolls. As for "authentic", I grew up eating this stuff so....
    But the soup was really flavourfull and well balanced and the sausage was delicious. Go just for that, maybe two bowls?
    Fact: I said EFF IT, and drank 1/2 the bowl w/both hands. The spoon was slowing me down.

I did take my seat/saddle w/me everywhere, and didn't regret it. It was quick release (wait before you boo) and it is a Paul to Fizik combo so....done deal.
    I cable locked both wheels and u locked the frame. 2 U's would have been faster, BUT, I was there for the CMWC.

I did not bring my "bling" bike - no photos on velospace of it yet - because it's an Indy Fab. (2nd hand, but STILL) and I'm in NYC now.

My bike is a black cannondale bad boy (10years old/strong) w/way fast DTswiss race wheels (650) and figured people there wouldn't know what to do with a mountain bike.
    Add a dura ace road cassette chain and derailleur and...it's pretty zippy and ultra manoeuvreable.
    I got a lot of sideways looks until I passed ppl w/o any greater effort. Oh, Lake shore drive was really nice!

Am in NYC how.

And all the Chicagoans I met were very friendly and helpful.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2012

Leaving in a couple of hours. Will refer to this for stuff to do!
    • CommentAuthor2poler
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012

the 19th is urban assault, fun times! this weekend is also the air and water show so DO NOT ride on the lake path during the day.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012 edited

Just got back. The Art Institute has an AWESOME collection. The lady works at the Nelson-Atkins here in KC, this is important because we got into all the museums mucho la gratis. The Shedd Aquarium had a music thing going on during our last night so we wandered around that for a few hours, this ended in fireworks. Went to the Museum of Contemporary Art, rode the trail thing.

Ate at:
    Arturos's - Western x Armitage
    Toast - Webster x Halstead
    The Lockdown - Division x Webster
    Some three syllable Thai + Vietnamese place on N. Argyle between Winthrop and Kenmore.
    Downtown Dogs - Chicago x Rush
    Bacino's - Lincoln x Webster

Drank:
    Great Lakes - Commodore Perry
    3floyds - Alpha King
    3floyds - Broo Doo
    Goose Island - Honker's Ale
    Flying Dog - Snakedog
    Dogfish Head - Raison D'Etre
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012 edited

next time eat at the handlebar. bike parking inside the patio. vegan friendly.

coffee: wormhole, cafe streets, filter, new wave, metropolis

catch a show at the hideout.

catch a film at the music box.

get some pizza at boiler room or great lake.

leave the city on the north branch trail or some other path.

smoke a bowl on northerly island.

go on a guided tour with weirdchicago.com

have a drink in a taproom. leave without being shanked.

maybe ride down one of the new protected bike lanes.

buy something / pet a cat at yojimbos.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.