velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012 edited

I finally had a wheelset built for me today (Paul hubs, double butted spokes, and mavic rims). I leave to pick up the wheels after a week of waiting, and my new roommate decided to lock his bike to mine. I only lock up outside my apartment to a street sign when I plan on leaving it for an hour. He left for the night and sandwiched his bike to mine, and to the street post. I attached the front wheel, and I wanted to take it for a test ride today. He keeps saying he will be back, then doesn't come through. Anyway, I'm bored and I want to hear your stories about another ignorant cyclist locking their bike to yours.
    • CommentAuthorayyyyy
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012

a man in Eugene whose name I'll not mention once mistakenly locked his bike to mine while I was eating lunch between classes. I skipped class to wait for the guy, and when I got my bike unlocked he chased me down the street snapping photos of me on the lomography camera he had just bought at the UOregon bookstore.
    i wan see those wheels. they sound nice.
    Oh, this seems interesting. Well my story is... I am with a few friends and we lock our bikes together to go eat at a fast food restaurant. When we get back there is this REALLY NICE Scattante road bike next mine. Inevitably, the bike had to come with 2 Kryptonite U locks with a Cable lock. We literally had to sit in the lot until the guy came out. He said, oh sorry, didn't know my bike was locked to yours. Offered me 20 bucks. But I declined, because hey, we are all cyclist no need for pity. Some are stupid some are impressively smart, it is what it is.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Someone ignorantly locked his lock through a friend's brake cable. They went for help and asked a cop for help. Who tried his best to figure out how to get it free. Gave up. Friend called me, loosen bolt, bike free. Brake now has a nicer reaction than before too :P
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

I have a small cutting torch and a couple other bikes to haul it with. If someone did that to me their lock would last as long as it took me to get there with my torch plus about 30 seconds, and I would be pretty fucking pissed.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291

Posted By: ayyyyyI skipped class to wait for the guy, and when I got my bike unlocked he chased me down the street snapping photos of me on the lomography camera he had just bought at the UOregon bookstore.

Wait What? he snapped photo's of you, for what reason? I have a similar story, only I gave the guy the evil eye after startling him by grabbing my bike as soon as he unlocked his from mine.

I appreciate the stories guys, I ended up throwing on the new wheelset at 2am and taking it on a test ride that turned into a 3o minute workout/joyride!
    I'll post pictures of the new set up in an hour.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

While on the job locked up real fast to run up some stairs to deliver something, come back down and a bike is locked to mine. I'm on the job so I can not wait for the person to get back. Phone a friend, he comes down with cutters and clipped his lock and left a note. Shit sucks when that happens, nor do I understand why someone would do that.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291

Not quite as dramatic as using a cutting torch, but if you're working then It had to be done.

Here are the photos of my new wheelset.

• CommentAuthorFit4Life

Cut the lock? Take a hacksaw to the other guy's frame. That'll teach the other bike owner a little respect.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

^^^^^^
    That is just a dick move right there.
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf

Out here in the old west, we just punch the guy and then buy him a beer.
    ;p
    The frame thing is overkill (if serious).
    However, letting the air out of their tires.....
    Because...

WHAT COMES AROUND IS ALL AROUND!!!

• CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012

I don't purchase Michelin or any other dual colored dual turny-efficiency compound tire because I had a tire split at the compound seam. :/ Just a note.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012

Really, I haven't heard anything bad about them before. I've been through a pair, they seemed ok, but I don't race or anything. What would you recommend, I found these krylions for 37$ a tire on amazon, if you know of something much better for a little more let me know.
    • CommentAuthorFixedNick
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012

Here in Denver my cousin locked up at his work and came out after to find a second lock placed on his cycle. Some doods been locking other people's bikes to steal them. End of story, the guy came back, my cousin beat his ass.
    Don't mess with a man and his cycle.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2012

^ There's a bike floating around where all of our bars are. I remember seeing and thinking -- BARCONS -- but I was on my way to work. The bike is a Koma Sutra that Mr. Thievery or a purchaser of Mr. Thievery's goods did nothing to change the look of. We have been advised to call the police or the owner but putting a lock on it discreetly and calling from a distance seems to me a safe way to get through a precarious situation.

Posted in CL, http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/3161422766.html
    Kona Sutra, Blue - To the young man riding my bike in Westport - $1 (Westport, KCMO)

Date: 2012-07-25, 12:00AM CDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Dear young man who I spotted riding MY bike in Westport,

I probably don't need to give the details because you probably distinctly recall me frantically running you down along Westport Road between SW. Trafficway and Mill St. But to refresh you memory, you were riding a bike that I can only assume you purchased at a shady swap meet or some such from an equally shady person. I only lasted a few blocks but I tried my best. Or perhaps you were the individual who broke into my shed and rode away on not one but THREE of my family's bikes. Either way, you know better.

Here's the deal. You know you are on a bike that was acquired in a method that was not quite on the up and up. And after today, it should be more than apparent that the "awesome deal" you got on the bike was bogus. So, please, do the right thing and bring my bike home. I've offered a reward for the bike in the past (perhaps you've seen the flyers around town): $150 for a single bike, $500 for all 3 of them. Deal is still on, if you want it. I'll even up the ante and offer you what you paid for it in return for its safe arrival back at my home. Please.

Here's some more back story for you. That bike you are riding was my very first touring bike and I have never been more attached to an object. I first picked it out shortly after I began dating the woman who would eventually become my wife. It went with me to Colorado, where I followed that same girl, like a lost puppy, into a lifelong commitment. I commuted on that damn bike through blizzards, heatwaves and torrents of rain. Just a little under 2 years ago I rode it on a KATY trail ride that served as our honeymoon... same girl as before. We didn't have enough money to go anywhere else. It was an adventure of a lifetime. Most recently I commuted on that bike to my job as a bicycle advocate with BikeWalkKC.

Yes, my job is to help make a safer environment for you (yes even the people on stolen bicycles) and everyone in the metro to bicycle and walk places. Perhaps there is irony in that, but I don't really care because I am still pretty pissed about the bike(s) getting stolen.

You may recall the last words out of my nearly breathless mouth tonight were, "That is MY BIKE you lousy piece of shit." For that I am sorry. Well kind of sorry. Perhaps you are not really a lousy piece of shit but just a person of willful ignorance. Regardless, if you are a decent human being, you will return that bike. Here are places where you can drop it off... no questions asked:

Midwest Cycles at 39th and Main
    Volker Bicycles 39th and Bell
    Office Port 208 W. 19th St. (ring the bell)

If you would like to discuss the reward please email me at eric(dot)bunch(at)bikewalkkc(dot)org or call me at 573-701-2492. We can arrange something. Plus I would like your help in tracking down the rest of the bikes. BTW: one of the bikes stolen was the bike my wife rode on our KATY Trail honeymoon. It'd be real nice to get that one back too. Just so you know. Oh and the red one in the picture below is nice as well. All of them are nice. We miss them.

Here are the pics:

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.