velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwoodybiker
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009

Any suggestions for a comfortable road seat, not for racing just a commuter.
    • CommentAuthormuckymucky
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009 edited

Selle San Marco Regal

San Marco Rolls

• CommentAuthorupthemaiden
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009 edited

If it's a commuter, I tend to lean towards seats that feel nothing like leather. Something that doesn't soak in water, more like a Vetta is much nice nicer to sit on after my bike has been rained on all day. Shape wise, my favorite saddle is the Fizik Aliante(this also is a great seat for riding in the rain). They come stock on a lot of random bikes, and I think people assume that because they came on a bike they must be junk, so they replace them, and you can get the deal on them afterwards.
    i just got a Selle San Marco Regal (steel rails) a month ago or so. It is my first leather saddle. First ride was 50 miles round trip and my ass hurt like hell but now after about 200 miles on it, I am very, very happy with it. So ya, +1.
    I have had the best luck with Avocet seats in the past...
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009

8 seats deep for me and i'm all about the classic selle italia flite
    • CommentAuthorwoodybiker

Ok still confused, I commute but the bike comes inside and I don't ride in the rain haha. Leather looks good I tossed my old seat for a avocett gel seat and it sucks I wish I had the old one back but I can't remember where it went or what kind it was.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

each person's butt fits a seat differently. a certain seat may be heaven for one person and hell for another. i've gone through 8 different seats before finding the one that fits my body best.

seats i've tried:
    selle italia slr
    generic slr knock-off
    san marco regal
    stock bianchi saddle from pista
    new selle italia flite
    fizik airone
    vetta
    and now the selle italia classic flite.

if you bring your bike indoors, just get a brooks.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I'm curious as to what saddles you heavy riders are sporting. I'm a big guy (6'3, 235lbs) and have trouble finding saddles that don't kill me on longer rides
    Unfortunately seats are like shoes in that what works well for one person may not for another. All I can recommend is keep trying different ones and styles till you fine the one that works and fits you, sorry...

That said you may like a seat off a Townie.
    Go ask your lbs, sometime you can rent them for a couple day to find the best seat for your need.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: sfbeeI'm curious as to what saddles you heavy riders are sporting. I'm a big guy (6'3, 235lbs) and have trouble finding saddles that don't kill me on longer rides
    6'/210lbs/classic flite

edit:
    buy lycra shorts.
    That's true about different seats fitting different ways. People listed some pretty nice seats and still weren't crazy about them, and for years I've ridden on one of those plastic $12 selle italia nitrox seats you always see on ebay, and I find it as comfortable as can be, not to mention the plus side of a plastic seat in the rain for someone who has to leave their bikes outside at work. Right now I'm pretty much just divided between Aliantes, and Aspides. Aspides are no where near as comfortable to me, but I think they look pretty slick. I only use the Aliante on bikes you can coast on, because if I'm on a fixed gear I need a long flat seat so I can move it down a little bit, and be able to slide from the front to the back.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

I have been looking at the Tioga Spyder (140g), but with all the reviews I have read it seems you either absolutely love it, or absolutely hate it.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

all those dudes who use that saddle also wear lycra.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

the rabbi: i've been sporting a pair of the nike dri fit shorts a friend gave to me lately, and they definitely help a lot. My bum still gets pretty sore after 20 miles or so though
    tioga spyder rules, sooooo comfortable. the only draw back is that sometimes when i take a bump my seatpost bolt jabs me in the taint. i still havent gotten around to filing it down so maybe its not that big of a deal
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2009

Posted By: sfbeethe rabbi: i've been sporting a pair of the nike dri fit shorts a friend gave to me lately, and they definitely help a lot. My bum still gets pretty sore after 20 miles or so though
    are those padded?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

yar. they definitely improved the comfort of my ride a lot. still a bit uncomfortable after notable distances though. i did break my hip 9 years ago, which could very well be a contributing factor, heh
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: sfbeeyar. they definitely improved the comfort of my ride a lot. still a bit uncomfortable after notable distances though. i did break my hip 9 years ago, which could very well be a contributing factor, heh
    sounds like a floyd landis problem. he fractured his hip and i don't think he ever got the necessary surgery . check out videos of him racing and you'll see he sits quite a bit further up on the nose of his seat than others, especially in time trials.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.