velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited

It's raining today, and I've decided to start building an ideal all-weather commuter.

I'm going to resurrect my first road bike, a Peugeot PR 10 L.

The frameset

I absolutely loved this bike. We made it through 3 years of undergrad, traffic accidents and whisky picnics. I now have a team replica PY 10 P, but that's another beast altogether - resplendent in gold groupset and almost pristine original paint, it's not one for the mean streets.

The only reason I can't start right now is this:

The chain-stay is cracked

It would probably be less expensive to buy a similar frame, but for sentimental reasons I'm going to research having the tube replaced. It will also give me cause for fresh paint and a general feeling of newness.

After restoring the frame, the build plan begins with what I have on hand, and will become a practical classic town bike.
    Sounds like it's going to be a fun build! I personally think you shouldn't repaint, because repaired bikes that are left raw look cool as all hell. Just look at this: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/resurrected-enik-pista-5323 it looks especially good after it patinas.
    • CommentAuthorM1K3Y
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012

You could have it powdercoated tho too which would be awesome for a commuter
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012

Most likely a two-part powdercoat with zinc basecoat. I restored a Peugeot Mixte for my girlfriend, and the standard powdercoat finish was OK, but it needs the basecoat to protect against corrosion from deep scratches.

Red only looks good in good quality paint. I'll probably go for off-white, dark green or black.
    Too much work for something you are just going to commute on! I'd just leave it as a wall-hanger since it has sentimental value and buy something cheap to commute on. You could easily get a complete bike for the price you would pay just to fix the frame and repaint it.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012

hrmph. You're probably right...
    • CommentAuthorSigback
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012

Im building up a commuter out of a Raleigh Super Course, and I have the same issue. The crack in my stay is really small, but still a little dissapointing
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2012

Very similar bike, from the other side of the Channel. The crack will need to be repaired before you can proceed, and the cost of repair & refinishing is certainly more than buying a similar frame. Depends how attached you are to the old thing, I suppose. I'm actually looking around for a similar frame, but the build objective will remain the same.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Surly crosscheck=commuter?

Just sayin'
    • CommentAuthorchku

I've had the thought, but they will be two different beasts:

For commuting I want a flat bar, DT shifters, simple and old fashioned, full mudguards etc, also something I can lock-up without concern. It's an excuse to use some of the vintage parts I have stashed away and can't bring myself to sell. Of course there is also a certain image that I have in mind.

The Surly will be a weekend bike, a mudpig with mod-cons.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Make the surly both! I used DT shifters for that reason, so I could switch bars easily
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013

This build is back on, for today I received a Valentine's Day treat from France:

Many of you may have noticed that I have a thing for Peugeot bikes. So for me this bike - in my size, my favourite colour, in incredible NOS condition and with my DOB in the serial number (!!) - feels absolutely meant to be.

Plans are:

VO bars
    clinchers
    mudguards
    maybe some T.A. accessories

C'est l'amour!
    That color is great
    It has the bloodlines of a PX-10 but is it?which modael is this? looks like a normal ATAC stem, but is that a Ti post?
    And please be careful not to get your head stuck in the cables when your in a deep tuck!
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookieThat color is great

+∞ Love the color!
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

DUDE! NICE WORK
    That thing rockssssssssssssssss
    • CommentAuthorcg3288

I love peugeot's. I had an 84 PGN10. Sold it because it was to big but I'm always on the lookout for another one.
    hot damn that's a nice peugeot! happy valentine's day indeed.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

@socal it's a PR 10 L, same as my red one only a couple of years earlier, maybe 1974-5. The PR frame differs from the PX in that only the 3 main tubes are Reynolds 531, and it has wider clearances for tires and mudguards - I'll be utilising this later.

First I'm trying to decide on bars. The stem is 25.4 so VO makes a lot of sense, I'll probably get the Milano (rise) or Postino (no rise) and shellac some cork grips.

VO Postino bar
    • CommentAuthorcg3288
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013

Definitely go with the moustache style bars.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.