velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvanillasoap
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited

Currently I have a 3 speed hub on my bike, it's great when I need more speed down the hills, though it is limited how fast i can go on third gear. Still I'm interested in a single speed setup. What are the pros and cons? Is the experience of riding single speed worth it?

Cost is an issue of course, I could order a complete rear wheel for £144, or I could buy a new hub for the fraction of that price and rebuild my wheel (I don't have the necessary tools or experience though)
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012

there aren't really any hidden pros and cons to running single speed. they're pretty straight forward. the main setback is the limit in speed if you are unable to spin. But a pro is single speed will help you with spinning (not sure if the amount of help will be comparable to a fixed cog) chances are you already know the pros and cons. it's all about personal preference.
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

Posted By: vanillasoap
    Cost is an issue of course, I could order a complete rear wheel for £144, or I could buy a new hub for the fraction of that price and rebuild my wheel (I don't have the necessary tools or experience though)

didnt see this edit. i'd go with the more cost effective option
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Honestly I think you should stick with single speed. Change out your cog to where the gear you would run ss is in the middle, that way you can go a step harder or a step easier.
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012 edited

Hmmm. The most appealing advantage with single speed for my part is to get stronger, the simplicity and I will be able to mount my nitto handlebars as I won't need my twist gear shifter.

Building my own wheel might be very fun (or frustrating), If I have trouble truing it I could always take it to the bike shop, but then again cost may go up..
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Meant stick with three speed

But its up to you, what kinda bike are we talkin' about here?
    It is a cooper zandvoort.

it has a track frame. (I hate that plastic cover next to the rear hub lol)

I think i'll need new spokes as well with a new hub, and tools+++ so the price might get the almost same as buying a complete wheel!?

Didn't get that procedure, replacing the cog? or change placement?
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012

Posted By: vanillasoapIt is a cooper zandvoort.

that's a pretty snazzy bike. Honestly i think getting a new wheel is money that doesnt really NEED to be spent. you've got a functioning bike (and a decent one at that) but in the end it's your money and your ride so do what you feel you need to do.
    Hmmm, wise words, hehe. When buying a new wheel, i could sell the current one, but I doubt there are anyone interested locally. I think i'll just leave it as it is for now, maybe this could be a project for next summer when I have more money. I'll go for a new gear shifter and replace the handlebars with some other i have lying around.
    You could always not shift for a week and see how that feels ; )
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2012

If you're new to cycling you should enjoy the bike you have for now, and make plans for new parts once you have the funds. Research potential parts, the cheaper part / more convenient purchase may end up costing you a 1/4 the price of the stronger more expensive part. It's a nice bike, take the time to upgrade properly.
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited

Posted By: MustangWolfYou could always not shift for a week and see how that feels ; )

Yeah, I have tried riding in 2nd gear (100% ratio/direct drive) a couple of times now, it works pretty well. Some hills are a bit hard, but I think I'll adapt pretty fast the more I ride. I really don't need to ride faster down hill, it's a bit scary riding 55km/h with no helmet, I kind of get paranoid, thinking if the bike breaks in two now or a tyre punctures, I'm pretty much fucked. lol.

Posted By: END00291If you're new to cycling you should enjoy the bike you have for now, and make plans for new parts once you have the funds. Research potential parts, the cheaper part / more convenient purchase may end up costing you a 1/4 the price of the stronger more expensive part. It's a nice bike, take the time to upgrade properly.

True indeed. I'll probably rebuild my rear wheel during the winter, it'll be fun :)
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012

I'm still a firm believer that you should stick with the 3 speed, though I understand if you want the trade to ride fixed
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Before you do anything to your bike get a helmet, you won't look werid.
    +1 on the helmet, I never leave without mine (unless I'm literally just going around the block)
    Mijn beste tante voon op Zandvoort!
    My favorite aunt lives in Zandvoort!
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2012 edited

Posted By: veggieI'm still a firm believer that you should stick with the 3 speed, though I understand if you want the trade to ride fixed

I really want to build a wheel, it seems like fun to me. The only thing I'll loose is money, I'll still have two different wheels to choose from, though it might be a hassle changing between them, considering the gear shifter etc.

Posted By: TrackerBefore you do anything to your bike get a helmet, you won't look werid.

Hmm, i don't know, i like the wind in my hair XD I'm definitely wearing sunglasses from now on, some bug hit my eyeball today while riding. It hit me fast and hard, still a bit soar.

Posted By: socal3renshoMijn beste tante voon op Zandvoort!

Nice, dutch sounds very much like norwegian (another germanic language);

Min beste Tante lever/bor i Zandvoort!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: socal3renshoMijn beste tante voon op Zandvoort!

Google Translate has the Standard Dutch translation as "mijn favoriete tante woont in Zandvoort"; is your version one of the regional variants (Guelderish, Limburgs, Vlaams) or Frisian?

German: Meine Lieblings-Tante wohnt in Zandvoort!
    Danish: Min favorit tante bor i Zandvoort!

(pardon the language geekery; carry on)
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Really, get a helmet. Spend 70-90 bucks for a decent comfortable one. I've had a helmet save my life and there's no reason not to wear one. There are so many other uncontrollable factors that can put you on the ground.
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012 edited

Posted By: HaeganReally, get a helmet. Spend 70-90 bucks for a decent comfortable one. I've had a helmet save my life and there's no reason not to wear one. There are so many other uncontrollable factors that can put you on the ground.

Good thing it saved your life, I'm glad. I read a survey at the local newspaper indicating that the people wearing helmet tend to experience more accidents and often more serious ones, than people not wearing one. It could be due to the surroundings being more careful, as well as the rider him-/herself when not wearing a helmet, and that riders with all sorts of gear and helmet tend to ride more aggressively because they feel safe.

When you hear it's dangerous riding a bike without a helmet, i think a lot of people tend to leave the bike and use other transportation methods. Which is not the ideal development, we need more people using eco friendly transportation in a world full of exhaust and obesity.

Statistics shows that countries with helmet infliction has not reduced number of bike accidents. Maybe people should ride more careful with or without a helmet?

I myself experienced an accident five years ago or so, I was on my way to my exam (without a helmet), riding fast down a hill downtown, my reflexes reached for the break as a woman and a dog was crossing the street, I fell of the bike rolled a couple of times on the asphalt with my head touching the ground. Luckily i was ok, only minor concussion I think. That incident has made me ride more careful.

While I have to agree, even riding in 15km/h, a crash due to uncontrollable factors could potentially give you a serious damage to your head without a helmet , as you mentioned.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.