velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvanillasoap
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012 edited

I want new handlebars on my bike, but I'm not sure how to mount it.

My specs as of today:
    Headset: FSA 11/8" threadless A-head
    Stem: Ø25.4mm bar clamp diameter, Ø22.2mm at the ends (suited for my Tektro FL-750 levers)

What I want is:

Ø26mm - http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1893

Ø26mm bar clamp diameter - http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1080

Not sure how the new stem is supposed to be mounted, if possible.
    Sorry about the n00b question.
    You cant use a quill stem on a bike 1 1/8 headtube.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

you have a threadless headset. that is a threaded stem. no can do.
    Ah, ok, so I would have to change the entire fork to be able to mount new handlebars and stem?
    No, you just can't use a quill stem (the kind that looks like an "L") with your setup.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

Posted By: vanillasoapAh, ok, so I would have to change the entire bike to be able to mount new handlebars and stem.
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346

Quill stems only work on 1 inch threaded forks and frames with a 1 inch headtube and then you need a threaded headset. You would have to buy a different frame.
    Posted By: vanillasoapAh, ok, so I would have to change the entire fork to be able to mount new handlebars and stem?

yes, but why would you want a threaded system?
    If you really want drops, just get 25.4 drops like this: http://store.somafab.com/nib1sttrba.html presuming you want track, not road drops.
    ah, sweet, i have been looking for those. another question, will my brake levers fit on those? the bar seems thinner except on the middle there.
    Do you want brake levers like you would see on a road bike or do you want brake levers that would go on the tops?
    on the top.
    Then you need cross levers. Paul makes some really nice ones, but there are also cheaper ones available
    sweet, thanks all!
    No problem!
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012

you will also need to address your shifters. Looks like you have gripshift set up so changing your cockpit set up will be more detailed then just slapping a new set of bars on.
    • CommentAuthorvanillasoap
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited

Whooray, just made a great deal, I'm getting Nitto 125AA, which has 25.4mm bar clamp size.

@Nash: lol, yes, that's right, i was thinking maybe something like a 3-speed-shifter like this one:

will that work with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed SRF3 hub? Can I tune the shifter?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.