velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbbw1
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2009

May someone mail the list of tools I must have to build a track/fixie from scratch ?
    hmm..... well it depends on what kind of parts you're using

-bottom bracket wrench for a sealed bottom bracket, if it's an old style you'll need a big wrench, pin spanners, and a lockring wrench.

-8mm hex key, or 14mm socket to tighten the cranks on

-5mm hex key for the chainring bolts, possible the chainring bolt tool for the back if they're being difficult and just spinning

-15mm pedal wrench, possible a normal 15mm wrench if you're lucky and it fits on your pedals.

-chainwhip for the cog, unless you do a roto-fix or other method using your chain

-lockring wrench

-15mm wrench for the axle nuts, unless you have phil or paul hubs, something along those lines that need a hex key

-5mm wrench for the seat post clamp

-whatever your seatpost needs to clamp the seat, usually a 6mm hex key

-headset press, can be made from a threaded rod, washers, and nut, unless you have an integrated headset, then just drop the bearings in

-round pipe to set the headset race

-4/5/6 mm hex key for the stem,

-headset wrench if it's an old headset, otherwise just a 5/6 hex key depending on the type

-4/5/6mm hex key for the stem clamp, depending on how nice it is.

-various assortment of hex keys for brake setup, if you're going that route

-chain tool

All of that is assuming that you're buying your wheels built, and don't have anything else out of the ordinary
    • CommentAuthorbbw1
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2009

Thank you very much . Yea , I wont get into building wheels , I'm new to building bikes .
    Do you recommend Park Tools ???
    There's some nice tools to be found that aren't park, and just because it's park doesn't necessarily mean it's a nice tool, they've got nice chain tools, and cheap chain tools, as well as nice cone wrenches and cheap cone wrenches. If you've got the money to spend buy something half decent, otherwise you're just going to end up replacing it down the line anyway. The majority of my tools are park, and the ones I'm pleased with, but I'm not gonna say you need park tools to work on a bike. A lot of the stuff you can just get at your hardware store, 15mm box wrench, hex keys, stuff like that.
    Man, unless you plan on building hundreds of bikes, just stock yourself up with the necessities- and buy other tools as you need them. Start with a full set of metric allen wrenches, a full set of metric wrenches, a nice plastic tire lever (to remove and install tires) a park CT-5 chain tool and a good high pressure floor pump. Then buy other tools as needed for your specific build. Otherwise you could spend well over a thousand dollars on tools you may never use!

Then... You need to arm yourself with the proper field tools to carry on the road.

It can all get very expensive, so again, be smart and buy only what you need, and use your LBS for the very few things that require one time use.
    That's how you tend to collect tools the right way, buy the necessities listed above. Other than that, just buy a tool when you need it. If you go into a bike store and spend $200 dollars on tools you're not gonna know what hit you, but if you buy them one at a time, you feel like you're actually winning, because instead of paying the shop that much to do it, you spent your money on the tool for yourself, and now you can do it because you have the tool.

and as you buy more and more tools, make sure you continually tell everyone who uses SAE tools that they're fucking everything up. Quick test, you're 9/16th socket is one size too small! which one do you grab next?!..... 3/32, 15/64, or 5/8???? those fuckers!
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2009

5/8!!
    All you really need is a large pair of vice-grips, a hammer and a slot screw driver. That’s what I started with when I was a kid...
    • CommentAuthoradriano

find a co op.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

are there co-ops in israel? he's from tel-aviv
    Posted By: the rabbiare there co-ops in israel? he's from tel-aviv

Like i said...
    • CommentAuthorbbw1

Yea , I'm from Tel Aviv and Fixie is just starting here . Only few guys are into it but it's getting popular more and more .
    Bikes shop - lots of . MTB and Road bike with tons of gears are booming here . CO OP - NO . ParkTools - yes and very expensive .
    Problem is to get a cool track bike frame - almost impossible here . Everybody on conversions and I want the real thing . I travel a lot so have to buy it in Europe or so .
    Thank you all for the enrich info ..........
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Tel Aviv should be a great city for fixed-speed, since it's so flat. Unfortunately, the drivers are pretty nutso.
    • CommentAuthorbbw1
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009

Yep , you right .
    In Italy drivers are the same ..........
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

bbw1, I spent about a month in Israel this past summer, I found a pretty sweet bike shop outside the big shuk in Jerusalem(cant remember the name, ill get back to you on that one). One of the mechanics there rode fixed. I will look through my pictures and figure out the name and let you know. That mechanic said he was one of the only guys who was doing conversions. They might be able to order you a bike.

Erev Tov(its the middle of the day for me, but I think its night for you : )
    • CommentAuthorbbw1

fixedpuch

Great , thanks lots .

Have a nice day ...........
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: fixedpuch...I found a pretty sweet bike shop outside the big shuk in Jerusalem (...) One of the mechanics there rode fixed. I will look through my pictures and figure out the name and let you know. That mechanic said he was one of the only guys who was doing conversions. They might be able to order you a bike.

I was thinking along related lines, but a little different: Rather than spend a lot of money importing a frame from EU/US/Japan, maybe there's someone in Israel that builds frames?

The only bike manufacturer I could find by Googling "bike frame builder Israel" was Segal, who do a line of high-end magnesium bikes. They're in Kiryat Bialik Industrial Zone, between Haifa and Akko. They don't list a track frame, and I don't think their bikes are what you want; but if there are individual frame builders in Israel, Segal may know where to find them.

Buying a frame from a local builder isn't just a way to help build a local industry, support a local artisan, and get something designed just to fit you; it's also a way to save money, since you won't have to pay customs duty to bring the frame into the country. I also think fixedpuch's suggestion about the shop in Yerushalyim is excellent; you should get in contact with that mechanic. He may also know of some frame builders in Israel who could build something suitable.
    • CommentAuthorbbw1
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009

Unfortunately , cycling in Israel as sport is quite new . I don't think we have enough experience , skills and knowledge in building frames ........ thanks anyway .

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.