velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvanillasoap
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012 edited

i am planning on buying the chrome bianchi pista. it has some decals which i would like to remove. anyone have any experience with this?

If the bike is clear coated on top of the decals that would make it a bit harder I think.

this user has done it, I have messaged him asking how he did it, but no response yet.

https://velospace.org/node/21579
    • CommentAuthorWilburito
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012

Don't bother. By the time that you get 'em off, you'll probably have moved onto a new fad, anyway.

haha, the only fad i was into was vanilla soap.

how can removing stickers or decals be considered a fad?
    I hope someone has a serious answer in this forum.
    why not pick up one of these from bikeisland, and save yourself the headache and some cash?

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1799

or if you wanted a complete bike, http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott_special_chrome.htm

i'm personally very happy with my bikesdirect/bikeisland frame, and a lot of people here recommend them. just a thought.
    Are you planning on buying a new, complete Pista? If so, I'd say save your money and either buy a Kilo TT or a used Pista. I've seen a couple brand new ones pop up for 400-500 bucks, so just be patient.

@williamblakeetc: thanks for the effort, but sadly enough none of those ship to my country :(
    @SillyGooseCookie: yup, getting a new bike, i have searched for used bikes in my area, there are none to be found.

The bianchi is sold at a shop in my city for 840 euros :(
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac

Posted By: vanillasoapi am planning on buying the chrome bianchi pista. it has some decals which i would like to remove. anyone have any experience with this?

If the bike is clear coated on top of the decals that would make it a bit harder I think.

this user has done it, I have messaged him asking how he did it, but no response yet.

https://velospace.org/node/21579

aircraft stripper and wetsanding. you can either scrape the decals off before sanding or sand those mofos off. aircraft stripper will remove the clearcoat that may be over the decals

@CheyTac: sweeet, i have some wet sandpaper grade 1800 lying around, maybe i could get rid of the glossiness throughout the frame as well, that would require a bit work though :)

This bike IS really expensive, a pity I can't find a reasonable substitute, would love to save some cash (who wouldn't) :(
    • CommentAuthorCheyTac
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012

Posted By: vanillasoap@CheyTac: sweeet, i have some wet sandpaper grade 1800 lying around, maybe i could get rid of the glossiness throughout the frame as well, that would require a bit work though :)

it is possible to "depolish" it. people do it to car wheels very often. i personally don;t know the step but you can search online. but yea there will be alot of tough work involved :(
    • CommentAuthorbmw
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012

Posted By: CheyTac
    it is possible to "depolish" it. people do it to car wheels very often. i personally don;t know the step but you can search online. but yea there will be alot of tough work involved :(

A lot of work for a whole lot more street credzZ... put a Aerospoke on that sucka, wear some world championship colors with a poorple chain ..dope son!
    Posted By: CheyTacaircraft stripper and wetsanding. you can either scrape the decals off before sanding or sand those mofos off. aircraft stripper will remove the clearcoat that may be over the decals

WOAH! Wetsanding will destroy the chrome finish.

I didn't realize Pistas were clear-coated. If they are, use any paint stripper (I like Citristrip) to peel the clear off, then acetone should eat the decals up nicely.

Polish the chrome with superfine brasswool or (slightly less awesome) 0000 steel wool. You will struggle to get a consistent finish trying to "depolish" the chrome unless you have a sandblaster. It'll look like crap, honestly, especially if you use 1800 grit paper.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

Bike island will ship if u email them. They shipped stuff to me in Canada and u mind as well try as stripping a frame of its decals that u just paid way too much for in the first place seems pretty dumb. Those biancgis aren't worth the money you pay for them. Built in some plant in some Asian country just like the significantly cheaper bike island and bike direct bikes
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012 edited

@ColumbusSLX: I don't have a sandblaster or access to one (the thought strafed my mind thinking about hours of sanding) if the bike is not clear coated and the decals are on top of the frame it would be an easy process, i'll have to see the bike at first hand in order to judge my next step. I was hoping someone had experience with the same frame.

@shaku: I have made a spreadsheet with some parts making up a bike similiar to the bianchi, with parts from bike island and ebay. with added value tax (which is 25% according to customs in my country) the price is now 730 USD, this is only for the frame, handlebar, crank, saddle and chain. And I have yet to add some shipping costs as well as many parts. The Bianchi goes for approximately 1000 USD in a shop nearby.

Seems like it's not that much differential between the price of building the bike myself or buying a complete bike :(

Considering the the short bike season I probably would be better off buying a complete bike now, instead of spending weeks waiting for parts and hours building the bike.
    I think he's saying go for the Kilo TT as a complete. They're on bikeisland, they're cheaper, and they look better.

@SillyGooseCookie: where? got a link? cannot seem to find the Kilo TT as complete bike on bikeisland, do I have to wait for them to post one?

Bikes direct has it, though my size is sold out, and they ship only in the US.
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1696 you'll have to buy the build kit and then buy the frameset. Hope this helps.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Posted By: WilburitoDon't bother. By the time that you get 'em off, you'll probably have moved onto a new fad, anyway.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to break down the Bianchi Pista semiotic stigma| Legit Pista

@SilliGooseCookie: I sent bike island a mail, asking if they could ship to Norway, as well as packaging it as a gift so i avoid the added value tax (25%). They didn't have a black (preferably) Kilo TT frame in my size so i ended up choosing the nickel frame posted earlier in this thread. Crossing my fingers now.
    Hopefully they can ship, Kilo TT's are really nice.

Awww, got a negative from bike island :-( what a pity. I was so excited..

Any good stores in Berlin, Germany I should look out for? I could combine a holiday with bike shopping.

If all fails I'll probably go for the Bianchi and sand, prime then repaint the frame, silly as it may be..

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.