velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012

I have two bikes at the moment, and together they are adequate to satisfy my biking needs. The first is a team replica Peugeot from the mid-70s. It's a bit of a museum piece, but I'm using it a lot on weekends as I am training for the 210km Around the Bay in a Day in October, which I intend to do on this bike. The second is a pretty beat-up Corsa Extra, which I commute on, as well as wet weather training. It's a very solid bike and has clip-on fenders, so it's up to the task of daily abuse.

Usually I have had three bikes, and the third has always been a bit of an indulgence. Either a fixed gear, mtb or a 'project' that satisfies my mechanical interests.

I'm trying to decide which one of the following to put together:

1. Cyclo-cross, spec'd for mostly off-road use but with the ability to get to the dirt and back
    2. Fixed gear, built around the C-Record (Sheriff Star) group I have in drawers
    3. Vintage French commuter, somewhat in the spirit of cicadashell's recent Mercier build

It might also be possible to sell the Merckx and go ahead with two of these. I'll 'never' sell the Peugeot.

Just wondering which you'd take as the 'extra' bike?
    I think the track bike would be a fun build, especially with Sheriff Stars. But, you can never get those hubs wet and they're all around delicate. Do you plan on uploading your bikes? I wanna see 'em.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I think cyclocross
    +1 CX
    • CommentAuthorSigback

cx bikes so fun, and not just new fad
    • CommentAuthorTracker

CX bike!
    • CommentAuthorchku

Thanks. CX seems like a good idea, as it'll open up new possibilities for my riding. I'd most likely get a Cross-Check. If I did a fixed gear, probably a BK. I've wanted a Cinelli SC Pista since forever, but I don't think I could ever justify that kinda money on a track bike. Should probably just sell my Campy track stuff and put it towards something less glamorous/more useful.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Crosschecks are so boss. I have one, currently rebuilding it with record for a friend to ride as a road bike.
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2012

Yeah man, I followed your build closely, thought it was awesome. Such a versatile frame. I grew up in a national park, and I really miss the trails. Whenever I go up to the forest to run, I want a bike. I guess that's probably the best motivation for getting a new bike. A Campy equipped BK would be nice, but I'd probably sell it after a few months.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Campy equipped crosscheck!
    • CommentAuthorchku

If your friend one day puts knobbies on it, and gets muddy with it, that will be Cross-Checkmate. I like the idea of muddy Campy very much.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

When I get it back I will keep that in mind
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012

You just reminded me: I have not one, but two long-cage Campy rear derailleurs. I should use one of them for something.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Posted By: eaglerockI should use one of them for something.

I like it when projects start this way.
    • CommentAuthorchku

So ended up buying a track bike just because it was on offer. I will probably sell the original parts and put that money towards a Cross-Check frameset. There's a commitment!
    • CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012

How's this for a stable?

By summer (down under) I'm going to try and have the following bikes finished:

1. Peugeot PY 10 | road
    2. Peugeot PR 10 | commute
    3. Surly Cross-Check | off-road, camping etc
    4. Bianchi Pista | track

I'll be selling my Eddy Merckx. After summer I'll also sell whichever I use least out of the Surly and Bianchi, and start saving for a serious roadie.

Four bikes is my absolute limit within my living space (I'll have to park the Cross-Check at our place in the country) but I think this lineup is a choose your own adventure. Onward.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

You'll never want to sell the crossheck. You will fall in love. I would probably get rid of my track bike in favor of the surly did it not have sentimental value
    I'm jealous! I hope I can get my bike short list done by fall–its shorter than yours.
    • CommentAuthorchku

veggie I'm sure you're right about the CC. I'll get to do the kind of daylong all-terrain riding I enjoy most, especially in the wilderness. I've had the track bike together for a few weeks but I'm already getting bored with it.
    seems like the off road bike and the commuting bike could be rolled into one, but that's just my opinion.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.