velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvegamark78
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012

Hey guys, I was just hoping you guys could give me some feedback on the Mavic ellipse wheel set. I have a set, and have had them since august of last year. I've been using them for commuting to school, and have put at least more than a thousand miles on 'em. I keep thinking that I probably shouldn't have bought them because I feel like I could have got a wheel set that could last me longer for commuting, and for around the same price range. So do you guys think these wheels are worth keeping?
    • CommentAuthoreBAUMANN

yes, if you have em, keep em.
    probable a little bit overkill for commuting but if you like em, who cares, they are strong wheels that look good.
    What's wrong with them? They're really great wheels for commuting–unless you're commuting over cobbles day in, day out. ; )
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

I didn't like my set...the rear bearing adjustment would always over tighten from brakeless skidding...had to adjust them at least 1 every few weeks...pain in the ass. But if you are not having problems keep rocking them!
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012

Cool, thanks guys, its just that I read a review on them where this guy said they lasted him for 2 years. I mean I want a wheel set to last me a long time that's why. And I've also heard that people have stripped the threading on their rear hub from skidding. Has anyone had this problem with these wheels?

Oh thanks Kevin, about the rear bearing adjustment, I was told to check up on the bearings once in a while.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Unless you're doing hella tricks (in which case this may not apply), you'll probably give up on fixed gear commuting before your wheels give out.

And so far I haven't had any problems with 'em, at least I don't think there's anything wrong with 'em so far. They haven't got untrue since I got 'em, and the bearings still feel pretty smooth. And the threading on the rear hub hasn't stripped. The only problem I have right now is the chain alignment, I think its off by 5 mm or some crap, Idk if its because of the wheels, because I've heard that people have had some problem like that too.
    Its possible the cog and lockring just were never tightened up enough in the first place(?).

Yea probably, but some guy from this bike shop told me to be careful because his friend's hub stripped from skidding and all. He said the ellipses weren't meant for the streets. Idk maybe I'm just being paranoid.
    Posted By: vegamark78ellipses weren't meant for the streets. Idk maybe I'm just being paranoid.

That guy has good taste in wheels
    He's been riding those around like that for almost a year. I think the wheel life is up to proper installation you should be fine.
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012 edited

That is coming out this year? That had to be the most well shot/edited and yet most boring street riding I've seen in a long time. Grégory Baugé's track skid was more exciting.

Thanks for the feedback guys
    • CommentAuthoreBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012

just keep in mind that ellipses require a mavic-specific lockring (which come with the wheels) and if you use anything but that lockring, you risk stripping the hub threads. dunno if they've changed this with the new stickers but every set ive owned has needed the mavic lr.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.