velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMreps412
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2012

So, my wife has agreed that since our daughters party is out of the way I can buy my bike (FINALY!) I plan on getting the Kilo TT Stripper as my first fixed gear bike. I keep hearing people say change the pedals and cages or whatever. But I want to know what you guys would switch off and what brand of you agree I should.

On the other hand I hear just enjoy my bike as it is so far and worry as I go... How do you guys feel or what did you do?
    Upgrade saddle, pedals+retention, tires, lockring. Everything else upgrade when it breaks.

With daily street riding I suggest Holdfast straps and bmx pedals or MKS GR9 with a nice strap like Toshi.
    Saddle are all personal preference so thats up to you. Selle Italia, Fizik, San Marco all have test saddles you can try out at a bike shop.
    Tires I recommend Continental Gatorskin.
    Lockring get a Shimano Dura Ace lockring.
    Posted By: Mreps412
    just enjoy my bike as it is so far and worry as I go...

This is where it's at. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You'll slowly discover the things that matter to you most and change them up. I'm guessing saddle first, then handlebars, then pedals.
    • CommentAuthorMreps412

I think I'll just have the bike first and see what I don't lie as you said. But saddle and pedals are most likely first to go. Any suggestions for either?
    +1 for Benson's recommendations. Since you're asking what we would do:

If there's a budget:
    - Shallow drop road bars or pursuit bars (rider's preference, track drops always seemed too deep outside of the track for me) + my kind of tape or keirin grips
    - Remove rear brake (at your own risk)
    - Slam that stem (because my fit allows it and because I love that look)
    - Selle Italia SLR TT (because its the one seat made for my ass 6 years running)
    - Freewheel (great if you get tired on long rides)

But, I think its a great first fixed bike as it.
    Saddles are very particular to each person. Get yer sit bones measured and that's the best start.
    i'm very happy with my fyxation straps and they're about half the price of hold fast.
    I say you should ride it and find out for yourself what you dont like and like. Everyone on here is going to like something completely different so its almost completely invaluable to ask such a general question. You might be so much more comfortable deciding what bars, stem, seat, seat post, grips whatever than if you just decide because people tell you what to get. Your not building this bike for everyone else your building it for yourself.
    Posted By: MustangWolf

+1
    • CommentAuthorb3pkay

Just curious about the lockring suggestion. Why "upgrade" the lockring? Is there really a performance/functionality difference?
    The stock lockring is garbage. Its super soft material and wont hold well. Dura Ace lockrings are like $10
    • CommentAuthorMreps412

Posted By: jlmcgehee21
    Posted By: MustangWolf

+1

Okay. I remember when I used to ride BMX slamming the seat meant damn near having no post at all. Lol, still
    Mean that here?

And yea. It does make sense for me to get the bike and ride to see what I like first. But any pedal
    Suggestions?
    Thanks for your feedback guys!
    Yeah, its pretty much lowering the stem till its the lowest it can go. Don't do that...unless it works for you.
    • CommentAuthorMreps412
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012

Anyone know about the sizing of the Kilo? I know everyone here says "get fitted. Etc" but I sw that it said something like of you get a 50 it's like a 53 and so on... I'm around 5'8 or so. Probably 5'7 lol. Help?
    • CommentAuthorsteve1436

My kilo is a 53cm and I am about the same height as you. The top tube is a little long but it works, I would prefer the next size down. Check mine
    • CommentAuthorMreps412

Looks really good. Cant wait. I think I'll get the 50 or 52.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012

Posted By: Mreps412Looks really good. Cant wait. I think I'll get the 50 or 52.

52 doesn't exist, but 50 does
    • CommentAuthorMreps412
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2012

Then that's what I'm getting. How did you guys feel knowing you were gonna get your first bike? I mean I rode bmx for some time but I haven't ridden a bike for literally like 5 years and I'm acting like a little damn kid knowing in Gettin it lol.
    excited then sold my road bike to buy my first fixed gear, then excited to build a 1x9 road bike.
    The excitement never ends.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.