velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorchku
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012 edited

I'm in the thick of uni exams/essays, and all I can think about is finishing my beloved Peugeot PY-10 next week. Last night I was up until about 2 AM correcting a 2mm bend in my 40 year old handlebars, wrapping bar tape, precisely installing brake levers. Realised the tape had 12 turns before the brake on one side, but 11 on the other. Flipped out a little. A few weeks ago I had some big essays to write, but I built some track wheels just because I had spokes the right length. I don't even have a track bike. I've also spent heaps of time planning future builds that may never materialise.

My girlfriend doesn't know how much time I spend on bikes. Sometimes I make tangled excuses to avoid seeing her so that I can go riding or just do some mechanical work. I built her the coolest bike in town.

What have you guys done for the sake of a bike?
    I like this thread already. I've spent most of my free time and money on bikes. And it's always interesting when people simply don't understand how someone can like bikes as much I do. It seems like most people see bikes as just a method of transportation and not an actual hobby, so they don't understand why I have multiple bikes and tons of old parts sitting around. And then they'll say stuff like "What? You have SIX bikes?? Why would ever need more than one??". I usually tell them that you can never have enough bikes.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Don't even start me on the money.
    All my bikes get the TLC - time, labour and coin.

Posted By: SillyGooseCookieWhy would you ever need more than one??

Sometimes I wish it could be that simple for me, having one bike like most people. Gets them to class, to the cafe, to the club, to the park for a picnic. You can love a bike like that, paint covered in scratches but still 'red' or 'green' and parts still shiny but rusty too.
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf

OMG. How I've longed to hear (see) people come out of the woodwork. It was like this for me since I was 14 working on BMX bikes. I'm older now but still feel the same way. I even told myself for 3 years that I would never get back into biking(bikes) after the hypebeast thing got outta hand. But here I am, building a new bike up in my room next to my dog and getting excited for the day that it will be done and I can ride around enjoying it.

I went from 4 bikes to this one, but I'm already looking forward to the next few builds—2 more this year alone.

This is what Velospace used to be like, why I didn't join years ago, I have no idea anymore, but I'm glad people like you guy are here.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I'm amazed It took working at a bike shop to become so immersed in bikes. I've been around bikes my whole life, my parents owning a bike shop and all. I find myself thinking about my bikes all the time. I'll start drifting off or staring and my girlfriend will just say, "bikes?"

I have spent way more money on bikes than I should have over the past three years.

I am almost at a point where I am completely happy with all my bikes.

Posted By: MustangWolfThis is what Velospace used to be like, why I didn't join years ago, I have no idea anymore, but I'm glad people like you guy are here.

They will always be here. And there will always be retards, they come and go.
    • CommentAuthorchku

Great photo veggie, and I can appreciate that mental drift. I wish I had a photo of me with my first serious bike, a green Mongoose Switchback. I made a sort of engineering-type drawing of it, age 10, with all the parts labelled. It's quite funny. I put Profile TT bars on it. Original SUV.
    Bikes are unique little pieces of machinery, like rolling works of art. There are so many details that go unnoticed to the untrained eye; little bits of color, welds, or special curve in a lug. Each one has it's own personality and history that become part of you as you roll around and then care for it like a member of the family.

Bikes are one of the most addictive things I've ever gotten into. We feel your pain.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

I started out on a clearance Specialized Langster, black and white and hypebeast as shit when I was 14.
    Then I build a Kilo TT, and gradually picking out my favorite parts from staring at the computer screen on Velospace, and decided on Suntour Superbe Pro and build it up with the works.
    Now I'm 17, started getting into cyclocross, raced it, fell in love, built my cyclocross bike and couldn't be happier. Now have a 16lb road bike with Zipps as well..
    I had a Basso with all Suntour Superbe, Pro gumwall tires, box rims, the works but sold it to make way for a more serious cyclocross season this year.

My taste has really evolved and I just want to act on it, but I need money to do that so it's a slow slow process, and even if half of it doesn't materialize I'll be just as happy.

Working at a bike shop for more than a year as my first job (and hopefully I'll make it two before going to college!), bikes mean everything to me. Income. A safe, healthy (maybe not mentally...) hobby and distraction from family or nearby issues. Something to think about, learn about, and speak about that will always be there when I need it.
    chku confessed:...Realised the tape had 12 turns before the brake on one side, but 11 on the other. Flipped out a little...

you, sir, have got it bad.

then he asked:What have you guys done for the sake of a bike?

i don't know that i've done anything much besides spending time and money, mostly time, on bikes: riding, tinkering, and grooming in approximately that order. perhaps i have gazed a little too lovingly at bicycles i have owned, but i try to remember they're just things, anyway, and not to get too hung up on them.

when i was a teenager, the bike meant total freedom; neither my nor my friends' parents were the type to buy their kids cars. ann arbor was, and still is, just about the right size that a kid could go anywhere he wanted with a bicycle. symbolically, then, the bike was the key that unlocked everything. i have since gotten hold of other keys but the bike is still a powerful means of independence. it matters, too, that i can take the bike completely apart and put it back together again; it symbolizes an ideal degree of control over "things", such that i'm not at their mercy. so i have this deep connection to my bikes, and there's nothing weird about spending a couple of hours cleaning every crevice and polishing the frame with rubbing compound and attending to other such details. to be sure, there are some other things that i'm even more obsessive/protective of (certain musical instruments, keys to other freedoms), so i have to balance my time. but it's all worth it.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

First present I remember getting was a little bmx whe I was 5. Thankfully I had parents who trusted the area we lived in as well as trusting me. I would ride all over exploring. Something I think a lot of kids these days aren't allowed to do. As I got older my exploring went further. I got a mtn bike and started exploring in a different way. I got my first job in a bike shop when I was 13 in Durango, CO. I grew up covered in grease. Eventually I got a road bike. Explored even futher. For me a bike has always been and will always be about freedom. It's an exploration, whether it be a mtn pass, a street you've never taken to get to a friends house or just plain getting lost. Bikes give us the freedom of enjoying (or sometimes not) all the elements that surround us. Freedom to travel. They also give us the freedom of time spent alone. Time to think and clear our mental pallets. We meet new friends and go on New rides. Our bikes are there for us when we need them
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Well said manbeard
    • CommentAuthorayyyyy

My first "nice" bike, a Royce Union bmx (with a gyro!), was stolen when my parents were cleaning up and left it out overnight. I was into skateboarding for a while after that, but realized after a while that I would never be able to progress to where my friends were heading, sponsorships and such. After that dream died, I skated around mainly for transportation. I found it unpleasant to have to go more than 3 or 4 miles, so I didn't get to explore much. Later turned 16, got a car, and my transportation issues were solved.

I bought a bike when I moved to college and couldn't take my car. It was a Mossberg 3-speed, a remnant of the bike boom where gun makers were also producing a lot of bikes. I enjoyed learning how to do my own maintenance and repair through Sheldon, and exploring the new city with much less effort than skateboarding, and for cheaper than driving. The next year I bought a Peugeot P8 from eBay for way too much money and started doing longer rides. I even converted it to a heavy CX bike and won a Beginner's race. Dropped out of college after 2 years and started working at a bike shop. From there I started racing and taking road riding more seriously, focusing on longer mileage and improved technique. And, of course, buying more bikes.

Sold the P8, bought a 2011 Specialized Allez and a 2011 Langster. And also a 1990 Serotta. Sold the Specialized bikes to fund a move. My most recent buy is the Bowery for commuting, but I'm thinking of selling it off and trying to find an old Centurion Dave Scott Ironman instead.

I'm lucky to have found a girlfriend who doesn't mind me spending half my day off going on a bike ride, or coming home and working on my bike after building wheels all day.
    • CommentAuthormanbeard

Posted By: veggieWell said manbeard

Thank you sir
    • CommentAuthorFit4Life

I switched sports from kayaking to bicycling to spend time with my girlfriend. I love the same things about bicycle as I did kayaking:
    A chance to relax the mind with rhythmic motion.
    Exploring new routes
    Speed
    Technology
    Physical challenges of centuries, metric and the full 100 miles.
    And ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET
    Posted By: Fit4LifeAnd ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET

This, after a full day of riding!
    For me, there are three main things that bikes represent when I think of them.

Adventure. Riding a bike from point A to point B is always more of an adventure than driving a car. I feel more immersed in my environment, you see more, hear more, feel the air, and smell the smells of the world around you.

Engineering Marvels. I am a Mechanical Engineering graduate student, so I am familiar with the intricacies of designing machines. For most engineering tasks, the engineer will "over-design" by adding extra material (sometimes grossly) for safety and design simplicity. However, just like in aerospace industries, every ounce in a high performance bike needs to be functional. Engineers in the cycling industry flirt with the line between barely strong enough to last and barely weak enough to fail. When almost any high performance frame/component experiences some sort of load other than what it was designed for, failure is almost certain. In my opinion, this type of engineering requires some of the brightest minds and most powerful tools in the engineering field.

Artwork. If you are a member here, you probably understand how a nice bike can make you stare almost forever. And I have turned my head to watch a bike go by on the street just as many times as I have done the same for an attractive woman.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

in the past 2.5-3 years they have basically become my life. Obsession, hobby, sport, career, transportation. I know way more about bikes both old and new than i should at my age and will continue to surround myself with more knowledge and more bikes than any non-cyclist could ever understand... cycling and the bikes that go along with it will forevermore be a huge part of my life.

Parker summed it up pretty well... bikes mean everything to me. Income. A safe, healthy (maybe not mentally...) hobby and distraction from family or nearby issues. Something to think about, learn about, and speak about that will always be there when I need it.
    • CommentAuthorTracker
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012

When I think about getting out of school in a week, almost all of it is about bikes, examples "oooo now ill have more money for parts" or "now I can ride more" or "now I won't miss those eBay auctions". Stuff like that, bikes take up nearly all of my free time and definitely all of my paycheck. I'll plan out a few builds with in the next 2-3 weeks, see which one I want the most and attempt to build it. Right now I'm planning a CX build for the fall/winter since CX seems like a lot of fun. Finished one bike... Now which one is next?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Wow, I've been out of school for like three weeks.
    • CommentAuthorTracker

Ugh finals week too, my first one is the French final. I don't have high hopes about that, but I did do pretty good on the act explore (a pre act for freshmen), too bad it doesn't count for anything.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.