velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hey guys, I got some little metal shavings in my left thumb a little less than a week ago. This has happened before (on both thumbs) and I've pull them out when they're visible. This time they are aluminum shavings that are fully underneath the skin, which means I can't get them out with tweezers or a magnet. One of the other times this happened, I let the metal shaving just stay underneath the skin and after a day or two the pain went away and I stopped worrying about it. This time, the pain hasn't gone away. Well, it has, but only for some of the time. Like, it won't hurt for a half hour, then it will for the next half hour, and so on.

What do you guys do in this situation?
    turns out the shavings were steel. I put a magnet over my thumb and it felt really weird, like the little shavings were moving ever so slightly. One finally reached the surface of my thumb and poked out. I have Elmer's glue on it now to see if I can't pull it out.
    • CommentAuthorPillpoppin
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

This was a very strange read
    You may have to remove the thumb.
    Posted By: PillpoppinThis was a very strange read

Definitely a strange thread. I made it a thread just in case anyone had some good advice.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012 edited

Supposedly, banana peels have some sort of property that exacerbates the rejection of foreign materials in your body. You rub/wrap banana peel where you have a splinter, and an enzyme released into the sliver entry point speeds up your bodies rejection of the foreign agent and aids recovery. I tried this once when I got a handful of thorns. I don't remember if it worked or not, but the pain did go away relatively quickly.
    some times if it does get like that... slivers, thorns, metal shavings... I'll basically tear at my skin with tweezers until I get to the object...
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

sounds like major surgery is imminent. may god have mercy on your thumb.
    • CommentAuthorShaku

If you can bear the pain, it will eventually get pushed to the surface on it's own without gratuitous damage to your thumb as you try to dig it out. As long as it doesn't start turning funny colors or constant throbbing pain, you should be fine.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

DON'T FOLLOW THE LIGHT!!!
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookieHey guys, I got some little metal shavings in my left thumb a little less than a week ago. This has happened before (on both thumbs) and I've pull them out when they're visible. This time they are aluminum shavings that are fully underneath the skin, which means I can't get them out with tweezers or a magnet. One of the other times this happened, I let the metal shaving just stay underneath the skin and after a day or two the pain went away and I stopped worrying about it. This time, the pain hasn't gone away. Well, it has, but only for some of the time. Like, it won't hurt for a half hour, then it will for the next half hour, and so on.

We consult a physician my friend.

http://www.SoleBicycles.com
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: SoleBicycles
    Posted By: SillyGooseCookieHey guys, I got some little metal shavings in my left thumb a little less than a week ago. This has happened before (on both thumbs) and I've pull them out when they're visible. This time they are aluminum shavings that are fully underneath the skin, which means I can't get them out with tweezers or a magnet. One of the other times this happened, I let the metal shaving just stay underneath the skin and after a day or two the pain went away and I stopped worrying about it. This time, the pain hasn't gone away. Well, it has, but only for some of the time. Like, it won't hurt for a half hour, then it will for the next half hour, and so on.

We consult a physician my friend.

Did you make an account after that thread about your bikes? hahahahaha
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

Posted By: Chris VDid you make an account after that thread about your bikes? hahahahaha

I noticed that too. As long as he doesn't start advertising, I'm good with it
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

I doubt he will after that thread... haha. Maybe he joined to back up his product but then realized he had no argument.
    try soaking in warm epsom salt solution, then do some digging with a splinter removing tweezer. Yes they do make a special tweezer with a "pin" for doing the exploring part.
    I've been soaking in warm epsom salt for a while, and I bought some really nice tweezers (Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers). My problem now is that the slivers don't hurt enough for me to be able to find them! I only know a general area, and I've dug around with the tweezers and I can't find shit.
    Well, now it's started hurting again, but I still can't see them at all
    This is just getting ridiculous. I'm giving up on getting it out myself and I'm going to see a doctor at some point in the near future.
    Call yourself Wolverine.
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012

hehe we've got ourselves a Velospace comic book hero on our hands :P maybe if you find some sort of chemical compound, you could make those metal shavings multiply until you get those epic claws :P

But seriously, unless it's throbbing or changing funny colors, i wouldnt worry as it'll just get pushed out eventually.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.