velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorlilakmonoke
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012 edited

the bearings in my sram omnium cranks just left me! i heard a few slight clicks a few days ago which then went away again ... now it sounds more like a tiny gattling gun inside my frame. i hardly got 3k miles out of them and this is extremely annoying! whats up with high end technology if it doesnt hold up? on the other hand my friends grandmothers bike from the 50s is still running on its first chain!

can somebody please tell me which bb30 bearings are built to LAST? will chris king bb30 bearings fit?
    bearings are shot, didd you ride your bike in the rain?
    not really ... i put a lot of load on it because its fixed and brakeless but that shouldnt be a problem. anybody else had to replace these?
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2012

Posted By: lilakmonokeanybody else had to replace these?

I highly doubt it.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

• CommentAuthorlilakmonoke

thanks! cheap i think is exactly the problem... i want someting that lasts. do these sram bbs fail a lot? a mechanic just told me that many of the shimano hollowtech 2 bbs dont last longer than 2 months. its hard to believe but thats what our culture is about, cool stuff thats cheap and doesnt last.
    Isn't there a warrantee?
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron

what do you think is the exact reason for its failing?

bearings falling out of alignment? Broken seal? Not enough lubricant inside the bearings?
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

You don't need bb30 stuff. Omniums are based around SRAMs GXP standard. Did you ever perform any maintainance on them? New grease etc? When you installed them did you use a torque wrench?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I'd say that depending on how you ride, these bbs should be replaced every year. The new round (2011) of the GDP is much better than the old. In either case, it is nearly impossible to replace the bearings. Replacing the whole thing is cheaper than getting fancy bearings
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

You should do your best to clean up as far down into the bearing seals as you can go though
    Posted By: lilakmonokei heard a few slight clicks

Hmm seems like I need to replace my bb too. The clicks lasted a few days then went away and I payed no attention to it since.
    • CommentAuthor212swat

Sure sounds like BB was installed without a torque wrench.
    I have the OG Omnium cranks and bb, have absolutely no issues with it.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: bensonisajewI have the OG Omnium cranks and bb, have absolutely no issues with it.

Same. Well, they currently aren't in use, but when I did used them, I have no problem with them. I used them for 600ish miles with no problem whatsoever.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

Sounds like user error should have checked it out when you heard clicking in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Actually, nevermind. I have the newer/newest version of the Omniums.
    • CommentAuthoradrian13346

Posted By: bensonisajewI have the OG Omnium cranks and bb, have absolutely no issues with it.

Same here i'm using the bb that came with my first gen Sram S300's. Had them on the iro now the spicer and I haven't maintained it since I got it last september. I didn't give in to the bb shell facing nonsense or use a torque wrench.
    Besides when I swap frames with cranks I never serviced them or really took care of it. I Just install them right and forget about it.
    i bought this bike used and the cranks are on for 2 years. i dont think the prev owner did any maintainance. replace them every year? thats insane, this stuff is supposed to be an upgrade to the old square bbs, where the good ones lasted for 10000 kms. the bearings are bigger and the sealing is better so it should take more abuse ... what about kings? they make a bb30 version that is compatible with sram. these are 120$ and should last longer or are you just paying for the name?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.