velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrnrmfpark
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited

Recently, Ive bought a Panasonic NJS Keirin Frame from Japan
    and I have a set of Shimano Dura-Ace HB-7710 Hubs rear and front.
    But I cant seem to install these on my new frame because the axle size (not width) is bigger than the frame dropouts..
    for example my hub axle could be like 10mm and the frame dropouts are like 8mm or sth..
    Is there a way I can use these hubs on this frame? or should i just buy a new set of hubs/frame?
    I hope there is a way ... I can fix this problem... TT
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012

Get to grinding boy
    • CommentAuthorrnrmfpark

Posted By: veggieGet to grinding boy

Is it okay to grind? dropouts and the fork?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

No, not the frame. The axles. If someone else chimes in, I believe their is a conversion kit.

Anybody?
    • CommentAuthorMustangWolf
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited

Unless you have a decent amount of experience grinding metal I'd steer you away from veggie's advice.

There is a conversion axel kit you can get. You can find one online...I found one at track supermarket.com for the 110mm wide hubs (you can find it at a bunch of other places too):
    http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=671
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: MustangWolfThere is a conversion axel kit you can get. You can find one online...I found one at track supermarket.com for the 110mm wide hubs (you can find it at a bunch of other places too):
    http://www.tracksupermarket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93&products_id=671

There we go. I was too lazy to google.
    • CommentAuthorNash

Posted By: veggieNo, not the frame. The axles. If someone else chimes in, I believe their is a conversion kit.

Anybody?

If you dont mind altering the frame, you can take a file, not a grinder, to the DO's. However, it might not be the best thing to do. If you have a caliper gauge and files, you can try veggies suggestion. Take 1mm off the top and 1mm off the bottom of the axle (i.e flatten out the top and bottom) At least if you screw up on the axle's, you haven't ruined a frame.
    Posted By: Nash
    Posted By: veggieNo, not the frame. The axles. If someone else chimes in, I believe their is a conversion kit.

Anybody?

If you dont mind altering the frame, you can take a file, not a grinder, to the DO's. However, it might not be the best thing to do. If you have a caliper gauge and files, you can try veggies suggestion. Take 1mm off the top and 1mm off the bottom of the axle (i.e flatten out the top and bottom) At least if you screw up on the axle's, you haven't ruined a frame.

The problem with grinding or filing is that he would have to make sure that he gets exactly symmetrical measurements. This approach seems overkill when a part exists unless he is capable of maintaining those tolerances. And while he may not "ruin" a frame, he will have to spend more time and $ to fix any issues. Stick with the simple solution :)
    • CommentAuthorNash

I agree with you. However, if he is going to be replacing the axles anyways, why not give it a shot to spend $0.00. Making square and plumb files on a round object is no easy task but still worth a shot.
    Ok. As long as you take responsibility if something goes wrong. ;)
    • CommentAuthorNash

that is precisely what i would say to anyone modifying their own equipment ;)
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Anybody?

There, not their.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

You lie.

I did that from my phone moments after waking, mah bad.
    get a kit, if you wind up with a frame later on that uses the larger axels you'll be set. And don't ever file on the frame!
    Two reasons, If you go to resell it you will have to explain sheepishly why there is material removed from your dropouts, and two it is nearly impossible for someone without a fair amount of mechanical experienc to take exacly 1mm of each side in parallel, so that the wheel is unsquare to the frame or having a big sloppy weaker drop out.
    Filing the axels is the next best solution, but if you are going to remove them to properly hold them in a vice, you are halfway to doing a replacement anyway, and filing them while the hub is entact is assinine, the filings develop a magnetic charge and can be worked into the races, blus how much of a slip do you suppose it takes to install a nice "Oh F" gouge on the flange?
    If that doesn't work give em to me and I'll install a correct set of wheels and break it in for you.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.